Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Floating city didn't bother me. Didn't bother me in the comics when Graviton did it, either.

I don't have a problem in principle with a floating city, but turning it into a world-destroying menace was just odd, it felt forced so there was more at stake like he had to shoehorn a threat into the story.  It just didn't seem like a real menace like they wanted it to seem.

Its always bothered me that studios will give some creative, interesting a project and when it does well, don't trust them any more.  So what got them there, they no longer like?  It just doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's classy of Joss Whedon to recant some of his previous remarks about Marvel, and both accept more blame for things that weren't perfect in Age of Ultron (which were few IMHO), and give more credit to the things that were great (which were many IMNSHO). The state he was in after the film was finished, his attitude at the time is understandable.

I recently rewatched it - first time since the theater (getting ready for Civil War). It was not as flawed as I remember... but then my biggest issue was that in a lot of ways the structure was similar. Big nasty villian, uses mind games and mind control to mess up the team (specifically triggering the Hulk) that messes up the team have a good argument between Steve and Tony, they need something to bring them together, someone gives them the big speech and the reason for motivation, and we have a huge set piece with puppets and one big boss that Tony is willing to sacrifce himself to stop.

I would have just like something that didn't feel so samey - it was almost like some music from Nickleback - they found the formula and so songs sound the same (How you remind me of Someday). Most of my other complaints vanished upon second watching.

The moments and bits were fantastic, great set pieces, great lines, cool bits that made the moment to moment of the move very enjoyable.

I think that in their desperate push to repeat the financial success of one blockbuster movie, movie execs try to exert as much control over the sequel as possible. I get the feeling that execs believe creative genius can't be counted on; that such enormous success is a fluke and that their best bet for insuring an equivalent subsequent success is to micro-manage it to death.

You have to remember that the movie business is intrinsically risk-averse. They don't treat billion-dollar returns as a given. The financial performance of a movie is an unknowable, and unpredictable thing. But they definitely know how much they are spending, and that is something they can control. So when all they know is that they are spending $200-300 million, it is hard for them to put $200-300 million of faith in one person. Even after the movie rakes in $2B, they don't take it as given that the next one will do the same. All they know is that they are putting their asses on the line again to the tune of $200-300 million. They clench their sphincters even tighter over the knowledge that not only are they expected to not lose money again, but they are expected (by shareholders) to out-perform the previous success. Thus they tighten their grip even more, allowing more star system to slip through their fingers...

Why bring Rob Liefeld into this?

Because why..not? :D

Nicole Perlman's quote:

“We’ve been talking a lot about archetypes and what we want this movie to be about and just how to write a strong female superhero without making it Superman with boobs… Meg and I are doing a lot of brainstorming and we’ll catch ourselves and say, ‘Wait a minute, what are we saying [here] about women in power?’ Then we have to say, ‘Why are we getting so hung up on that? We should just tell the best story and build the best character.’ And then we have this constant back-and-forth about how to tell a story that is compelling, entertaining, moving, kick-ass, and fun, and also be aware of what those larger implications might be. It’s a lot more complicated than just writing Guardians.”

Source: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/nicole-perlman-captain-marvel/all/1

Also: http://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-script-nicole-perlman/

Captain America: Civil War Screenwriters Explain Black Panther’s Expanded Role

Originally, though, Black Panther’s role in Civil War was going to be drastically different. The writers of the film recently revealed that the original plan was to not have him suit up at all — but this was changed by everyone’s friendly neighborhood wall-crawler.

Article contains info which might spoil the film, so read at your discretion. 

Did Marvel Get The Fantastic Four Movie Rights Back?

For Months Fox TV has been in negotiations with Marvel Entertainment for the rights to develop a live-action X-Men television series and yesterday they announced that a deal was made. Marvel TV and Fox will be co-producing two new series, one titled Hellfire for Fox and the other titled Legion for FX.

The partnership involves a team-up between Marvel TV executives and producers from Fox’s Marvel universe (Fantastic Four and X-Men) and represents a monumental moment for the future of Marvel adaptations. For all the effort Marvel has put into blocking and hiding the Fantastic Four and X-Men in licensing and merchandise over the last few years, now Marvel will be helping make and market Fox’s X-Menproperties – at least on the TV front. These announcements are appearing on the homepage of Marvel.com so the question is, what does Marvel get in return?

Answer: not the FF rights back, but the deal made here is very interesting going forward.  

More info on the Fox-Marvel tv series: Marvel & Fox Team-up For 2 New X-Men TV Shows -- http://screenrant.com/marvel-tv-fox-hellfire-legion/

Doctor Strange Writer On Marvel’s Efforts to ‘Evolve’ Comic Book Films

“They are constantly trying to evolve the comic book movie, rather than going, ‘This is what works, we’re doing this.’ They’re like, ‘What haven’t we done yet? Like, what crazy stuff can we do?’”

Cross-posted to Doctor Strange with a different quote from the article.

And then we have this constant back-and-forth about how to tell a story that is compelling, entertaining, moving, kick-ass, and fun, and also be aware of what those larger implications might be. It’s a lot more complicated than just writing Guardians.”

Well, that's truly unfortunate.  I'm hoping its just something they are saying because they figure they have to rather than a real concern.  If you write a good story, then it will stand on its own without needing to check off certain boxes or worrying about identity groups.

Marvel Studios Fails Fans by Fighting Marvel TV (& Not Hiding It Well)

Woah...when you put it like that. Interesting angle presented. 

Interesting, yes; but it also seems to me to be a heavily-biased reading of the role of each medium in developing the Marvel Universe, with a lot of "Marvel TV Studio Good/Marvel Movie Studio Bad" generalizations presented as self-evident, which anyone watching both could readily contest.

Interesting, yes; but it also seems to me to be a heavily-biased reading of the role of each medium in developing the Marvel Universe, with a lot of "Marvel TV Studio Good/Marvel Movie Studio Bad" generalizations presented as self-evident, which anyone watching both could readily contest.

Ditto.

Well, that's truly unfortunate.  I'm hoping its just something they are saying because they figure they have to rather than a real concern.  If you write a good story, then it will stand on its own without needing to check off certain boxes or worrying about identity groups.

Yeah, well, everyone who isn't a white male has an axe to grind with Hollywood right now. Marvel put a target on their backs recently when they cast Danny Rand as caucasian, and the Internet's legions of SJWs were unsurprisingly outraged. With Captain Marvel being the first Marvel film with a female title lead, the writers are keenly aware of the potential minefield they are stepping into. These aren't the circumstances they wanted, but these are the circumstances that have been thrust upon them. I don't envy them.

Yeah, well, everyone who isn't a white male has an axe to grind with Hollywood right now. Marvel put a target on their backs recently when they cast Danny Rand as caucasian, and the Internet's legions of SJWs were unsurprisingly outraged. With Captain Marvel being the first Marvel film with a female title lead, the writers are keenly aware of the potential minefield they are stepping into. These aren't the circumstances they wanted, but these are the circumstances that have been thrust upon them. I don't envy them.

I thought Danny Rand was white.

I remember discussions with Marvel execs asserting than Iron Fist's casting was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for them. If he's white as in the comics, they're accused of perpetuating the "white man bests Asians" stereotype. If they make him Asian, they're accused of perpetuating the "all Asians are martial artists" stereotype.

Maybe they should have made him black? :think:

Good points, thanks for sharing.

Well, that's truly unfortunate. I'm hoping its just something they are saying because they figure they have to rather than a real concern. If you write a good story, then it will stand on its own without needing to check off certain boxes or worrying about identity groups.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV) Western culture and especially Hollywood have become a political battleground for identity groups (feminism, LGBT, diversity, etc)--it is just a reality of today's film business. I applaud the screenwriters awareness of the situation regardless if I like it or not. Either way it seems they will be subject to untoward criticism.

I remember discussions with Marvel execs asserting than Iron Fist's casting was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for them. If he's white as in the comics, they're accused of perpetuating the "white man bests Asians" stereotype. If they make him Asian, they're accused of perpetuating the "all Asians are martial artists" stereotype.

Maybe they should have made him black? :think:

Keep him a blond, white guy, but make him an Australian trained as a ninja deep in the outback who wears red slippers instead of yellow.