Powers Boothe joins Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., hopes we forget his Avengers role

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Sets Powers Boothe to Reprise ‘Avengers’ Role

http://screencrush.com/agents-of-shield-powers-boothe-avengers/

Oops. :D 

Powers Boothe joins Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., hopes we forget his Avengers role

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Sets Powers Boothe to Reprise ‘Avengers’ Role

http://screencrush.com/agents-of-shield-powers-boothe-avengers/

Oops. :D

I have been following Agents of Shield and I knew that as soon as we heard his voice that he was one of the ex-council.

Okay.

But that whole plot element has me a little confused. Those visions are shown to be accurate and unchangeable (and the events are not distant future events, but imminent events). Are we supposed to assume that Malick simply misinterpreted his vision that drastically?

Well, the military, even a comic book military like SHIELD, would be expected to perform somewhat similarly to a regular military.  Thor being a magic god alien obviously operates a little differently.  I still expect taxi cabs to be the same as in the real world, after all.

When I watch movies, I see someone wave his hand in the air and 2 seconds later, there is a cab. What "real world" are you referring to?

Funny...my understanding was that neither GoTG 2 nor Ant-Man 2 were part of the plan until both succeeded big time at the Box Office.  I recall someone involved in MCU noting they have become a victim of their own success in that they have too many successful franchises to practically maintain now.  Monthly books for three or four dozen teams and characters is practical (DC was running 52 books a month as their standard for most of 'New 52').  But you can't release 3 or 4 blockbuster movies a month to let each of those teams and characters hit the silver screen once a year, or even one or two month so they can be there every two years.

I get the same sense, that they will be starting up other characters and focusing on others.  For one thing Cap and IM are too white and male for Hollywood trendy types, and for another, they rely heavily on actors who aren't getting any younger, although Chris Evans has a lot of mileage in him still.  Plus, I have always gotten the sense that Millar, et al never liked those characters anyway.

Studios like to milk a successful franchise bone dry, and hate to have to make changes to a working formula. Watching the current crop of stars step away is not something Marvel is looking foward to. I wouldn't want to be a major Disney stockholder when they "retire" the current Avengers lineup. Their golden goose won't be laying anymore golden eggs, and I'm sure that has Disney execs very nervous. They will be in the unenviable position of having to establish a whole new stable of prime tier heroes, praying that audiences don't turn their backs on the MCU once Downey Jr., Hemsworth, Evans, and crew walk away from it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to Captain Marvel and The Inhumans, but I don't know that the general public is as enthusiastic about them as I am. And as much as I like Falcon, Ant-Man, and (expect to like) Black Panther, I'm not convinced they will be as warmly embraced as the original lineup.

I also note that starting next year, Marvel will be releasing three movies per year (I count Spider-Man: Homecoming among them). It almost feels like they realize that their current run of success will come to an end after Infinity War Part 2, and are pushing as much out there as they can while audiences are still on board the Marvel bandwagon.

There are quite a few interesting major characters they haven't touched on in the Marvel Universe yet (or, have done horrific jobs with) such as Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four, Hercules, Adam Warlock, Moon Knight, Namor, etc.  There are even a lot of avengers I like that haven't been introduced yet, such as Tigra, Black Knight, White Tiger, Quasar, Wonder Man, and there's even Captain Britain out there.

Cap is the biggest name out there, Iron Man was always a 2nd or 3rd tier character until he got a hilarious, fun film with Robert Downey jr's brilliant acting to make it work.  Its about who they cast, how they write, and what directors they get to bring it to life, really.  They struck out with Ant-Man in my opinion, but most of the time they do well.

Nobody even knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy were except hard core comic fans.

There's really no precedent for what is happening with the MCU.  To my knowledge, something like it has never been done before in film.  Maybe the old Westerns were something like this, where you'd go see a movie just because John Wayne was in it, playing another character very similar to the guy he played in the last 10 movies.  Or maybe you'd have to go back to Tom Mix, to like the really old westerns.

Or maybe the Godzilla films were something like this?  Perhaps in Japan, I don't think those movies were ever anything more than Saturday afternoon matinee fare here in the US.  Regardless, 30 years from now people are going to look back on this time and will remark how many superhero films there were, and how successful they were.  Marvel and Disney know that this thing can't keep going forever.  Even if you keep the same stars and make Iron Man 7, you're eventually going to lose your audience.  But again, there's really no precedent for how long this thing can go.  I'd be surprised if they last much beyond Infinity War 2.  You're eventually going to have declining box office receipts, and then they'll try for the inevitable reboot.  But I don't think a reboot will work, because people won't be ready for another 15 years worth of sequels.  They will have quit watching because all their "care" is used up.  They're not gonna be able to reboot The Simpsons either.

I dunno, I guess the James Bond movies are the closest analog.  They've managed to keep a character going in films for 50 years with a host of different actors, sometimes doing terrible films, but always with good box office results.  The big difference with the marvel stuff is that they're using multiple franchises and interweaving them for a larger picture, so that's unique and certainly intriguing.  How this will turn out nobody really can even guess.

And they basically stumbled on to it.  That Avengers thing at the end of Iron Man wasn't meant to be part of some big plan, it was a fun thing thrown in for fans.  Who went nuts and Iron Man made more money than anyone expected or hoped it would.  So they started thinking bigger.  Now its become a monster that I don't think anyone can control or even understand, not yet at least.

And they basically stumbled on to it.  That Avengers thing at the end of Iron Man wasn't meant to be part of some big plan, it was a fun thing thrown in for fans.  Who went nuts and Iron Man made more money than anyone expected or hoped it would.  So they started thinking bigger.  Now its become a monster that I don't think anyone can control or even understand, not yet at least.

Kevin Feige claims that building a shared Avengers-based continuity was the studio's long-term vision from the beginning; but that all hinged on the success of their first feature. Fortunately Iron Man was well received by audiences and critics,so they could move on from there.