5e Money

skulldixon

So the Money perquisite doesn't seem to do much and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use it like the Vehicles and Bases perquisite? I was thinking that it could have a variable pool of points that could be used per game session or adventure to Buy something of use during the game. For instance, if the players need a helicopter in order to pursue a villain team.

• 2 weeks later...

The money perk is only useful in those games where the campaign has an active economy. In a heroic level game where you purchase your characters equipment with money it would be very useful. not as much in a suerheroic game, but even then it can be used for background detail like a bruce wayne or tony stark who can afford just about any mundane type of equipment they could ever want.

I'm going to go out on a limb and repeat my assertion that the Money perk is effectively useless. In a Heroic game, it takes away one of the motivators for adventuring (accumulation of wealth) and in superheroic genres, it is an expensive special effect. I would almost rather see the Money perk completely re-written to fall into line with either the OP idea of a Variable Power Pool or even something else.

I have some vague ideas for how to use wealth, but I honestly haven't sat down and worked out all the kinks yet. I do know that I dislike the simplicity that comes with the Money perk. Even Shadowrun had a better system in my opinion, where money was balanced by the cost needed to upkeep your Lifestyle. I realize that it's a personal preference thing.

These are written up for fifth edition; I should update them

35 I Buy What I Need: Summon 32 200-point Hirelings, Vehicles, Bases , Expanded Class of Beings Anything or anyone that can be bought, hired, or rented (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; +1 3/4) (244 Active Points); Extra Time (Hours to Days to Weeks depending on what's being sought, -4), Arrives Under Own Power (or maybe you have to go to it, homes don't usually move for instance) (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (Sometimes, what you want just isn't available; -1/2), Limited Power Real Money. The more often the power is used, the more likely it is to fail as the money runs low. (-1/2)

53 I Buy what I Need: Variable Power Pool, 50 base + 3 control cost, (75 Active Points); Extra Time (Hours to Days to Weeks depending on what's being sought, -4), Limited Special Effect Common SFX (Only what can be bought; -1/2), Activation Roll 14- (Sometimes what you want isn't available; -1/2), Limited Power Real Money: the more often the power is used, the more likely it is to fail (-1/2), Limited Power Complications: illegal purchases may get you arrested, valuable things may draw thieves, weird stuff gets reported in the media, etc (-1/4); all slots IIF Minimum (-1/4)

Lucius Alexander

Seventh edition palindromedary

In a fantasy campaign ran by Teh Ebil Bunneh he used the Wealth Perk as a modifier for a series of rolls based on in-game long term actions being taken by characters; basically a "what are you doing this month" kind of rolls, where things like Nobility and Wealth Perks modified actions based on what you were trying to do.

Beyond that, I wouldn't call it a useless Perk, but an extremely vague Perk. Which means it really comes down to how you roleplay it, like some skills, only without a roll. In some ways it just lets a character do things, like buy an expensive meal.

Yes, sometimes it can be a "why am I adventuring? I've got money!" issue - but I always contend that if the sole hook you have to motivate players is a cash payout something might be off in the game itself. Adventure! for the sake of Adventure! should be the primary motivator.

The only reason I'd shy away from a Money VPP is that I think the Perk itself is already pushing the limits of how much it costs for the ROI.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the Money Perk is somewhat vaguely defined and mostly a roleplaying hook. But I think you could say that about most of the Perks, honestly. And with Money in particular, I'm okay with keeping it vague: there's nothing I find more tedious than tracking expenditures to make sure we have enough gas to fuel the jet/spaceship/van/whatever this month. I'm not an accountant, nor do I wish to play one in my RPGs!

Some thoughts on how I've used Money or seen it used (all modern/supers examples because that's where my head is at the moment):

• Gadgeteer/power armor heroes need lots of spare parts. A poor/middle class PC may need to come up with creative ways to explain how he affords his tinkering, while rich boy just waves his checkbook in the air. 
  • Don't quit your day job - It's easy for idle rich playboy hero to disappear in the middle of the day. But how many times can middle-class man not show up for work before he gets fired? Then how's he going to pay the rent, let alone take care of Elderly Aunt DPNC?
  • Heroes need access to a high-class fancy party or something. High Society Skill may tell you how to handle yourself once you're inside, but it won't always get you in the door. Middle-Class Guy may need to forge an invite or impersonate a waiter or something. Rich guy just shows up.
  • Research: mystic hero needs a rare book from Obscuritania. Middle-class guy has to order it online and hope he can haggle them down to something he can afford. Rich guy just buys the damn thing, or flies over there to pick it up if he has to.
  • Speaking of which, transportation: Middle class guy has to fly Coach and worry about getting his Foci past the TSA. Rich Guy has his own damn plane.
  • Safe houses: If Rich Hero wants to have a handful of safe houses in various cities - basically just an apartment with no equipment - then I'll probably give them to him without charging him points for Bases. Middle-class guy will need to explain how he can afford them.
  • Followers: Sidekicks are one thing, but most minions, base staff, etc are going to want a paycheck at the end of the month.
  • Bribery Skill: not much use if you don't have funds to back it up....
  • And for the Stupid-Rich, there's always the "Stark bought the bar and is having it demolished" option ala The Consultant."

Now are there other ways to achieve the above goals without money? Sure - it's just one choice; one method of achieving those goals. Is being rich a bit of a narrative cop-out? Maybe. But hey, this is wish-fulfilment fiction were talking about here. If a character is willing to throw 5-10 points in to ignore the financial constraints we all put up with in real life, who am I to judge?

"Sometimes I think access to cash is the greatest superpower of all." - The Revenant, PS238