Block Clarification

Lucius

Question

Drizzled Drowburden the Dark Elf ranger has a DEX of 23. Gnu Kiddondablok the barbarian Human of the Wildebeest Clan has a DEX of 14. Belanta Blockyerknockoff Human mercenary has a DEX of 8. All have SPD of 3. Voices have been raised, weapons have been drawn, and more than Combat Values are being found Offensive.

Drizzled attacks with both swords, but Belanta aborts to Block. Gnu hits Drizzled for minimal damage.

Next phase, because Belanta blocked Drizzled, Belanta gets to act before Drizzled. My question is, what will the order of actions be?

First Hypothesis:

1. Gnu acts on DEX 14

2. Belanta acts on DEX 8

3. Drizzled acts last, because he was blocked by Belanta and must go after her.

or

Second Hypothesis:

1. Belanta acts first because she gets to move before Drizzled because she blocked him

2. Drizzled acts on DEX 23

3. Gnu acts on DEX 14

I suppose there's probably an obvious answer under my nose but I'm not seeing it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the question should be phrased as: Does blocking someone with a higher DEX potentially hasten your own next action, or delay theirs?

1 answer to this question

Let’s go to the instant replay and see what the rulebook says. First it notes on 6E2 57:

“Furthermore, if these two characters both have their next Phases in the same Segment, the character who Blocked automatically gets to act first, regardless of relative DEX (the Blocking character’s opponent is delayed until after the Blocking character’s DEX; see below).”

Below, on 6E2 58, it further explains:

“As noted above, a character who Blocks an attacker automatically gets to act first (regardless of relative DEX) if he and the attacker have their next Phases in the same Segment. If this benefit applies, it does so even if the attacker decides not to attack the character in his next Phase. However, the attacker’s DEX for purposes of acting first is not lowered as to any other character. Unless the character stops the attacker somehow, the attacker can attack some other target at his normal DEX.”

So, let’s consider a hypothetical combat where Alpha (DEX 23, SPD 3) fights Beta (DEX 14, SPD 3) and Gamma (DEX 8, SPD 3). In Segment 4, Alpha attacks Gamma, who Aborts to Block and succeeds in Blocking the attack.

In Segment 8, if Alpha continues to attack Gamma, Gamma gets to act before Alpha (who’s delayed until after Gamma for purposes of determining when he acts; think of him as having “DEX 7,” so to speak). If Alpha decides to switch to attacking Beta, Alpha goes on DEX 23 as usual, though if Gamma wanted to try to stop him (by attacking Alpha, or trying to help Beta by interposing herself or Blocking on his behalf, for example), Gamma’s action would take place first (in which case you might think of her as having “DEX 24” for such purposes).

I think that addresses the issues raised by your question, but if not please post a follow-up. ;)