Indirect vs. Counteracts Indirect

worldshaking00

Question

Good day.

If I have an Attack Power that is purchased with the Indirect Advantage (for example, 8d6 Blast with +1 Indirect [Power's Source Point can vary from use to use; Path of Power is not direct from Source Point to target, and can change with every use], I understand that if I encounter a Defense (Barrier, for instance) with the +1/4 Counteracts Indirect Advantage that the entire Indirect Advantage is effectively nullified.

My question is: what exactly would I need to purchase on top of the +1 Indirect Advantage of the Blast Power above in order to counter the Counteracts Indirect Advantage of the Barrier? 6E1 173 states that the Barrier can purchase the +1/4 Advantage multiple times to counteract multiple purchases of Indirect; but, I don't see a cost in the description of Indirect on how to "one up" the counter.

I could see that if the GM was kind, he could just allow an additional ad hoc +1/4 Advantage on top the the already purchased level of Indirect on the attack to counter the counter. I could also see having to repurchase the exact level of Indirect (i.e. doubling the original level of the Advantage cost) being required, by the rules. And as always, the GM has final word for his campaign.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

1 answer to this question

Typically, as with Armor Piercing and Penetrating, the character has to pay the full value of whatever form of Indirect he buys to do this. However, since Indirect doesn’t have a fixed cost like AP and Penetrating do, the GM may prefer to establish a flat cost (such as +¼ or +½) for buying Indirect multiple times this way.