Campaign Setting: The Returned

Steve

I'm thinking the main government employers of superhuman assets would be the CIA and the FBI. FEMA would probably be the employer of superhumans that are better suited in their abilities to deal with the aftermath of natural and man-made catastrophes.

Perhaps a special Bureau in each could be established to manage such assets. I'd like to keep it more realistic than cartoony, so I'm not sure what to name such special branches.

I'm still working through the historical ramifications of the setting basis. For one example, there could be many different outcomes of 9/11. What if one of the Returned was a passenger on one of the planes? What if a mentalist Returned learned of the plot beforehand, either through telepathy or an ability to see the future?

Could one of the Returned be elected to public office?

• 2 weeks later...

Campaign Timeline diverges starting January, 1st, 1991 until present.

Use Historical Events and divine how Superpowers would effect them.

Then decide how the world views Superpowered people.

Resources:

Dark Champions: The Animated Series.

Urban Fantasy Hero.

Godlike.

Mutant City Blues.

Heroes.

Alphas.

Mutant-X.

Push.

Scanners.

The Chronicle.

I've been experimenting a bit with characteristic purchases using Linked and Nonpersistent, and they seem to work pretty well for the feel I am going for. Speed and Dexterity are the two most expensive characteristics for non-Brick sorts, so they have been heading up my lists. Because Nonpersistent Strength is only semi-legal, it works better as a Linked ability and has also caused me to consider limiting super strength to 40. Adding in some martial arts maneuvers quickly boosts the damage, so that seems acceptable as a compromise.

So a character like a light-weight Power Girl or She-Hulk Brickette would have a 17-20 STR as a normal characteristic purchase, reflecting a more muscular build, 20-23 points of Strength bought as part of a Nonpersistent stat boost package and some martial arts maneuvers to get the damage up to 10DC.

Lighter, faster brickettes in the 10-15 Strength range for normal characteristic purchases plus 10-20 Strength and maybe martial arts work pretty well and fits the thinner, supermodel mode sported by many heroines.

I'm considering having a 2-point Striking Appearance be a mandatory purchase by all superhumans to reflect their superhuman physiques. Among superhumans, it is not noticed, just by the normals around them.

Teen Champions is a little too low-pointed for my tastes, especially for adult superhumans. Low-Powered does not have to mean low points. For a teenaged Returned, taking 50 points off would be fine since 6th Edition Superheroes seem to come in around that much heavier than 5th Edition versions.

There is a sort of Normal Characteristic Maxima going on since superhuman characteristics are bought using Linked or Nonpersistent. A character can't buy a 25 STR directly, only up to 20, the rest being bought limited somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

I have example characters on my list of things to do. I'm currently looking at setting characters as 400-point Superhumans with Low-Powered Superhuman abilities.

Aquarian Age is also on that list. So far I have only produced a couple of Homonculi "replicants" as examples. I have a Heroic-level character on the workbench I am tinkering with.

Playing with my daughter is my current priority, and I am trying to decide whether to go with D&D 3rd/4th edition or use Hero.