In other news...

tkdguy

You could say the same thing about many video-game protagonists -- especially the idea that when a character we control performs evil acts in a video game, we are somehow responsible. Tabletop RPGs pose the same dilemma for many, especially if they're super-violent.

I was in a game once where a player had his character perform a truly shocking act. The party was in a village of insect people and we wanted to find information. Not only did the insect people not speak our language, they could not speak at all in a manner humanoids would understand because of the way their bodies were constructed. One of the players decided to take a child in the village hostage to force them to extract information. This naturally failed, so he did this:

Player: I kill the child.

GM: The child is dead.

The entire table was aghast. This was a deed so pointlessly cruel that it raised questions about the player's moral compass. I played a cleric powerful enough to raise the dead, so when that character later died I had to be convinced/compelled to raise him as opposed to letting him stay dead.

Hackers have released the data they stole on most of the customer base of Ashley Madison, a web service intended to help cheating partners find partners for their illicit affairs.

9.6GB of user account records (including credit card numbers) were dumped onto the "Dark Web", accessible by one specific browser designed for secret browsing. The hack was clearly intended to shut down the site by threatening the 37 million users (90% of them male according to the hackers, who claimed almost all the female accounts were decoys meant to lure men to the site with the false hope of cheap sex) with the exposure of handy blackmail material to people willing to use it.

The hackers' advice to the men they exposed? Sue the operators of Ashley Madison for fraud, claim damages, and make amends with their cuckolded spouses (hopefully avoiding their wrath).

Hackers have released the data they stole on most of the customer base of Ashley Madison, a web service intended to help cheating partners find partners for their illicit affairs.

9.6GB of user account records (including credit card numbers) were dumped onto the "Dark Web", accessible by one specific browser designed for secret browsing. The hack was clearly intended to shut down the site by threatening the 37 million users (90% of them male according to the hackers, who claimed almost all the female accounts were decoys meant to lure men to the site with the false hope of cheap sex) with the exposure of handy blackmail material to people willing to use it.

The hackers' advice to the men they exposed? Sue the operators of Ashley Madison for fraud, claim damages, and make amends with their cuckolded spouses (hopefully avoiding their wrath).

Worse than that (from an IT perspective), they also released an astonishing amount of information about the AM network--infrastructure diagrams, admin accounts, domain information... I don't see how Am can come back from this.   They'd literally have to start over with a brand new IT infrastructure.

Worse than that (from an IT perspective), they also released an astonishing amount of information about the AM network--infrastructure diagrams, admin accounts, domain information... I don't see how Am can come back from this.   They'd literally have to start over with a brand new IT infrastructure.

So what's the downside of this argument?

I hate to keep harping on this point, but about half of these cheaters are necessarily women. Seriously, this is the problem with sexism right here. The women are elevated to such virtue and simultaneous lack of agency that they aren't even included as rational actors. Meanwhile, men are reduced to an animal state where they are responsible for all the "sins of the flesh." It's a damaging social mythology to all relationships, even the illicit affairs.