In other news...

tkdguy

Stories are now coming out of numerous flags, and I wonder about a disconnect.  This is a sentence from the inspection report from 2019:

Though some of this damage is minor, most of the concrete deterioration needs to be repaired in a timely fashion.

Does that sound urgent to you?  If you say Yes, you're probably an engineer yourself.  Cuz I think, much of the time, that's a step below "this sucker is unsafe and continued occupancy is unwise until remediation is complete" to an engineer.  But the managers clearly didn't read "timely" as particularly imperative.

Given that the liability here runs into the hundreds of millions to the tenants, much less the value of the building itself, and so that this does not happen again...this event is going to be dissected in ultra-fine detail.

Elsewhere...

An unfortunate story from the College World Series.  NC State was ruled out of the Series due to Covid-19 restrictions today.  They couldn't play...turns out, they had only 13 active players for their game Friday night, due to testing and contact tracing.  From Fox News:

The NCAA requires unvaccinated players, coaches and staff to undergo COVID-19 testing every other day at championship sites. The Wolfpack had at least one player test positive on Thursday, and that triggered contact tracing procedures led to 13 other players being ruled out of Friday's game.

Additional testing and contact tracing prompted the NCAA to decide the Wolfpack could not continue in the tournament.

I haven't seen the protocols, but the clear suggestion would seem to be, quite a few players didn't get vaccinated. 

So perhaps avoidable, but still regrettable.  And, I wonder...why were they allowed to play Friday but not today?  Altho that could be a pitching issue.  The Wolfpack used 8 position players, plus a DH;  that's 9, so there's 4 slots left.  They used 2 pitchers who threw 87 and 70 pitches, so they're out for the next day.  Had NC State won, they would've advanced to the finals, and maybe gotten some players back.  But back to back days...probably not feasible.

And if the protocols went more than a few days, the CWS Finals start Monday, and run 2 or 3 consecutive days.  If the players identified in the contact tracing wouldn't be allowed back, then asking a TINY number of NC State pitchers to handle the entire burden for multiple days in a row, is putting them at excessive risk.

Update on the NC State situation:  it went from one positive test Thursday to multiple positive tests after testing late Friday or early Saturday...the game was delayed by rain and ended late.  That was apparently the trigger, the explosive growth in the # of positive tests.  

The crypto story is interesting because one of the problems is apparently jurisdiction, so on the assumption that we're ALL making, that this was TRULY GRAND embezzlement, the perps have a rather nice lead.

Thing is ... if there's no jurisdiction, then there's no jurisdiction of whom they can demand protection when they finally are tracked down by those they cheated, and their options are to pay up, or they'll take it out of their head with claw hammers.  And I'm rooting for the claw hammers.

21 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Given all the shady things cryptocurrencies are used to pay for, stealing from an exchange on that scale is one of the stupidest, most dangeous things you can do. It sounds like they're crooks, but they've also been running a business used by other, more violent crooks.  They'd better nev er emerge or they won't last long in Africa, Or Eruope, Asia, the Americas...

19 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Bloody hell, it's blatant beyond belief.  The freakin' principal walks into the view RIGHT as the kid says "after I came out as queer" and fiddles...then the mic dies. Geeeeee....

PG, that's not 'harassment' it's discrimination, severe abuse of authority, and IMO a COMPLETE failure to recognize that any points about mental health or the difficulty of fitting in, would resonate with a LOT of the students.  

I think that school will have a new principal when classes return in the fall.

13 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

This story is from 3 days ago, but I haven't seen anything about it here.

Hundreds More Unmarked Graves Found at Former Residential School in Canada

of if that is behind a paywall here is a CNN's version of the story

More than 700 unmarked graves found at a former residential school in Canada, officials say

One can only imagine what horrors are lurking here in the US too :(

Temperatures here over the last three days.  In purple is those at Sea-Tac airport, which is the site of record for Seattle weather data.  The green is data from the U of Washington Atmospheric Sciences building.  The last point in purple is 107 F, highest temperature here as long as there have been white men with thermometers.

RecordHigh.GIF

Portland had a high temperature of about 115 degrees Fahrenheit today. That is the highest temperature ever recorded in Porltand this side of pizza ovens. Ever, in the entire history of the National Weather Service. And it isn;t even the end of June yet.

Some relief is expected later in the week, with readings "only" in the mid-to-high nineties. Theoretically it might be lower next week, and we might even see light rain. Still, we did not expect this a month ago.

This showcases the difference between forecasting weather and forecasting the climate. Weather is, within certain limits, semi-random. It is also more variable. But those limits are set by the climate. Climate is why you never see snow on the Vegas Strip. It is the cumulative effect of weatheerr influenced by climate that is so dangerous. Roast Portland does not pose an existential threat to the species -- yet. But it's darned annoying for those who live here.

33 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Portland had a high temperature of about 115 degrees Fahrenheit today. That is the highest temperature ever recorded in Porltand this side of pizza ovens. Ever, in the entire history of the National Weather Service. And it isn;t even the end of June yet.

Some relief is expected later in the week, with readings "only" in the mid-to-high nineties. Theoretically it might be lower next week, and we might even see light rain. Still, we did not expect this a month ago.

This showcases the difference between forecasting weather and forecasting the climate. Weather is, within certain limits, semi-random. It is also more variable. But those limits are set by the climate. Climate is why you never see snow on the Vegas Strip. It is the cumulative effect of weatheerr influenced by climate that is so dangerous. Roast Portland does not pose an existential threat to the species -- yet. But it's darned annoying for those who live here.

We get snow in the lower part of the Vegas Valley about once every 10 years or so. Summerlin (a suburb on to the northwest) gets snow more frequently, but it's about 1500 feet higher up than where I am.

14 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

We get snow in the lower part of the Vegas Valley about once every 10 years or so. Summerlin (a suburb on to the northwest) gets snow more frequently, but it's about 1500 feet higher up than where I am.

It's hockey, I tell ya! All these Canadian and Russian guys with their ice and skates brought their weather with them!

The rainy weather in Wimbledon has left the grass wet, and it's proving to be hazardous to the tennis players.

Serena Williams withdraws after leg injury

Federer gets a walkover as Mannarino retires

Other players have slipped and fallen during their matches. As someone who has suffered knee and leg injuries, I feel really bad for Serena and Mannarino.

4 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Getting "no such page"...granted that might be due to odd extraneous factors today...things have been an intermittent mess...

Unfortunately the only other source I can find doesn't include the sign translator, which is what makes it.

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The rainy weather in Wimbledon has left the grass wet, and it's proving to be hazardous to the tennis players.

Serena Williams withdraws after leg injury

Federer gets a walkover as Mannarino retires

Other players have slipped and fallen during their matches. As someone who has suffered knee and leg injuries, I feel really bad for Serena and Mannarino.

Tennis is less a game of pure speed, altho that can help, and more a game of explosive starts and stops.  So, yeah, it's a problem.  And grass is the least common surface these days, by a lot.

The other side is...the probability for Serena to get #24 drops another few points.  And Mannarino had Fed going *big* time.  He had a 2-1 set lead, altho when he slipped the 4th set was 4-1 for Fed, so a 5th set looked likely.  And who knows what'll happen.  But at Wimbledon...Fed losing *2* sets in the first round?  That's crazy talk.  Rust is plausible, but I don't see him rounding to real match sharpness faster than the level of his opponent is likely to rise.