In other news...

tkdguy

Hungry for more

Air-conditioners, once considered luxury, are now commonplace in Delhi, and their impact on electricity consumption is telling. On World Environment Day, CSE released an analysis that presented electricity consumption patterns in Delhi. Growing affluence and subsidized electricity, among others reasons, have led to an all-time peak demand of over 6,000 megawatts which is more than the combined demand of the other three metros (in India). A shocking fact was that peak demand at night and day was almost equal, indicating an excessive use of air-conditioners. Air-conditioners account for 28 per cent of the total monthly electricity consumption and contribute to nearly 60 per cent of Delhi’s peak electricity demand. Energy consumption, environmental pollution and climate change go hand in hand. CSE has suggested a number of measures at the level of individuals and also the government to check gluttonous demand for energy. A simple step such using a fan can while raising thermostat settings can reduce electricity consumption by around 22 per cent while systemic checks can help reduce demand.

See the vision of the end of the world? When India starts demanding energy on a per capita rate comparable to Europe or North America?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/11/12-000-days-later-texas-still-wont-release-jerry-hartfield-from-custody/281395/

The article is from 2013.

My search for updates found another article in 2014.

As near as I can tell he's still in jail.

All lawyer jokes aside there's a few prosecutors that will burn in hell.

As a white guy, I find her decisions baffling.  My black friends are nearly unified in their disdain, contempt, and anger.  I think that putting on blackness involves putting on all that has come before it, and white people simply cannot do that, however much they'd like to (for whatever absurd reason).  She seems genuine in her convictions, but I am reminded of those who pretend to military service or Native American ancestry.  Not yours!  The people who have it, earned it some fashion, or by virtue of having it have experiences you cannot have had, and as such you literally cannot be identified as one of them.

and again Spokane is in the media for humiliating and embarrassing stories...

Some cities and county governments in Texas tried to ban fracking, then the state government made a law saying they couldn't.

I think the State is about to be sent the cleaning bill

No, the driller is getting the bill.  They will promptly go bankrupt and reopen later under another name.  'Murica!

Sad but likely true.

And keep their contracts somehow

It's actually likely to be worse than you imagine. Consider the real-life case of Texas Governor Bill Clements.

Clements was elected governor as I arrived in Texas in the 1978 election (I was not in residence in Texas long enough to vote against him in that election). Clement's fortune was made in the oil industry: he founded SEDCO. During his first term, SEDCO was on the clock for the Ixtoc I oil blowout, the worst in history, which even Red Adair couldn't put out. He lost his re-election bid as the tarballs rolled up all along the Texas coast.

However ... he ran again (in 1986, right after I left) and won, having sold SEDCO to Schlumberger in 1984. And after being elected, he admitted being on the SMU Board that approved secret payments to football players ... discovery of which resulted in the "death penalty" for SMU, complete shutdown of their football program for the 1987 season.

So now you know how much Texans value the environment, corporate responsibility, honesty, playing by the rules, and general decency.

Texas has a lot of good people in it,and it is an awesome state in a lot of ways. It can seem almost collectively arrogant, but no less than say California imo.

Unfortunately, Gerrymandering and other tricks have a twisted lock on a lot of the political power there. Last I heard, Austin, one of the more liberal spots in Texas, was stuck with conservative leaders even at the local level

You have not changed my mind. I lived in Texas as a child. 

I'm sure there are good people in California too. But you know, swallowed up by the sea. 

Swallowed by the sea?

Damned water hoarders!

Oh wait, 'fresh' is required?

nevermind, sympathies restored

Swallowed by the sea?

Damned water hoarders!

Oh wait, 'fresh' is required?

nevermind, sympathies restored

They already buy fresh water from Oregon

Oh and with fresh water shortages starting to hit (thanks climate change) in the next decade or so (or sooner) look for companies to buy the rights to fresh water from the government. Nestle is in the middle of doing so here.

It will start making news when people start dying I suspect.

Actually, I'm kind of reassured that we'll wipe ourselves out and then Earth will happily move on when we're gone. That's my back up hope. 

As long as the middle part of North America is happiest...

(former) USA!(former) USA!(former) USA!