In other news...

tkdguy

More reminders that Qatar is still a medieval absolute despotic state of the worst sort.

Arrest the press

We were invited to Qatar by the prime minister's office to see new flagship accommodation for low-paid migrant workers in early May - but while gathering additional material for our report, we ended up being thrown into prison for doing our jobs.

EDIT: Second time in as many months reporters have been jailed in Qatar.

Is that some kind of challenge? Because I've got the dumb, but it's going to be a pain in the butt getting the guns.

I seriously doubt that you have the dumb.  Because that would be a lot of dumb.  If you laid all that dumb end to end, it would reach all the way to the moon and back.  A swimming pool large enough to hold that much dumb would be the size of Alaska.  The guns are the easy part, especially in Texas.

I seriously doubt that you have the dumb.  Because that would be a lot of dumb.  If you laid all that dumb end to end, it would reach all the way to the moon and back.  A swimming pool large enough to hold that much dumb would be the size of Alaska.  The guns are the easy part, especially in Texas.

Flattery won't get you into Chad's pants.

I guess there are dumber reasons to have a shootout.

On an NPR discussion show covering this yesterday, a caller who is in a motorcycle gang (Not club, sorry) called in and blamed the whole fiasco on law enforcement motorcycle clubs setting up the fight.   He accused them of being as Criminal as the gangs.  BUt then he explained what HE considered the cause.   The Law Enforcement clubs won't "respect the territory" of the Gangs.  

Apparently they will send a letter to the gangs, explaining that they will be in the area, YES they will wear their "Colors", and if the gangs try to do something about it the LEO clubs will make their lives a living HELL. 

I guess the gangs are taking "Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" Seriously. 

They seem to think that Laws don't apply to them, that they can make their own.   

Sometimes the not-nice part of me wishes they WERE outlawed in the old sense. 

what was the sentence?

"No man may be punished for harming them, Any man who aids them may also become Outlawed."   

But they have Rights, though they consider themselves outside the Responsibilities and controls of society.   

It might be interesting to see what happens if 170 members are imprisoned for LONG terms, all at once.   Probably not enough to decapitate the leadership, unfortunately.  

Also in the article is that Nintendo is working on the successor to the underwhelming Wii U, and that for the first time in a while they were profitable to finish the year. I'd be curious to see where the profits are coming from.

Video games I talk to frequently state their belief that it woujld be really cool for Nintendo to follow the lead of Sega -- by getting out of the console business and take their properties, which are among the most valuable in the history of the industry, cross-platform. The counterargument is the 3DS, the most popular handhold game-centered device by a very wide margin (if not a virtual monopoly -- the PS Vita has seemingly sunk without a trace) more than making up for the Wii U's problems finding an audience beyond the Mario/Link fanatics.

But the latest version of Super Smash Brothers Melee is extremely popular and acclaimed, and the anticipation for the new Zelda game has been palpable.

Also in the article is that Nintendo is working on the successor to the underwhelming Wii U, and that for the first time in a while they were profitable to finish the year. I'd be curious to see where the profits are coming from.

Video games I talk to frequently state their belief that it woujld be really cool for Nintendo to follow the lead of Sega -- by getting out of the console business and take their properties, which are among the most valuable in the history of the industry, cross-platform. The counterargument is the 3DS, the most popular handhold game-centered device by a very wide margin (if not a virtual monopoly -- the PS Vita has seemingly sunk without a trace) more than making up for the Wii U's problems finding an audience beyond the Mario/Link fanatics.

But the latest version of Super Smash Brothers Melee is extremely popular and acclaimed, and the anticipation for the new Zelda game has been palpable.

Most of their money probably came from handhelds. I've heard they're going cross-platform sort of. They're licensing phone games to another company, IIRC. That should net some nice profits for them.

As to the Vita, the wifey and I both have them. They're actually pretty neat and have a handful of really good games available, plus you can download older PS games that have been ported over. No idea on whether the things are profitable or not, but they're kinda cool.