In other news...

tkdguy

Hopefully no one will mind if I bring this up again--

Death Sentence For Boston Bomber Unsettles City He Tore Apart

Excerpt--

To the amazement of people elsewhere, Bostonians overwhelmingly opposed condemning the bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, to death. The most recent poll conducted last month for The Boston Globe, found that just 15 percent of city residents wanted him executed. Statewide, 19 percent did. By contrast, 60 percent of Americans wanted Mr. Tsarnaev to get the death penalty, according to a CBS News poll last month.

No one here felt sympathy for him. Rather, many thought life in prison would be a fate worse than death, especially for someone as young as Mr. Tsarnaev, who is 21. Others feared that putting him to death would make him a martyr. Still others, interviewed around the city Friday night and Saturday, reflected the region’s historical aversion to the death penalty.

I remember that when Tim McVeigh went to the death chamber for the bombing of the Murrah Building and the death of 168 people, he was satisfied with what he had done.  He believed he had, to paraphrase Jefferson, "refreshed the tree of liberty," that he had struck a blow against a government he considered to be tyrannical in its policies and deeds.  Like John Wilkes Booth long before him, he believed he had done right--that he did it for his country.

That to me was not justice.  That was basically giving McVeigh what he wanted--a "hero's" death.  And sending Tsarnaev to the death chamber, while it may not be giving him what he wants, will give him what he thinks is inevitable.  He very likely thinks that Americans hate all Muslims and want them dead, regardless of whether they're terrorists or law-abiding citizens--so it's not a great surprise that they want him dead as well.

Fulfilling Tsarnaev's worst expectations is not justice.  Making a martyr of him is not justice.  Keeping him in prison for the rest of his life (no parole, no pardon) would offer the one possibility that killing him would not--that of realizing he was wrong.  As the years go by in his six-by-eight foot jail cell, away from any radical activist influence, with little company except his own and little to do except sit and think--he may eventually come to regret his actions, and even admit to being mistaken.  And that would be a greater punishment than killing him, having realized he was wrong and having actual remorse for the deaths he caused, and being unable to do anything about it except live with that remorse and regret as he waits for the end of his life in that six-by-eight cell.

Were his sentence somehow commuted to life without parole, it would very likely not happen immediately.  It might not happen after ten years, or even twenty.  But as long as he is alive there would always be the possibility that Tsarnaev would come to realize and regret his transgressions--and that would never happen at all if he were just killed, either peaceably by lethal injection, or violently by a convict hoping to make a name for himself.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

Corporations: Not just people, but the only people that matter

It's not exactly sudden. They've been having financial trouble since the beginning of the millennium, and went through a couple of bankruptcies in 2003. At their height, they had over 40 stores (including a large store at the Forum Shops here in Vegas). Those are all gone, so it appears that at least for the short term, it will be a boutique brand at Toys R Us.

When we had our store, we'd always walk through when we were at the Forum Shops, but we'd usually only buy at the FAO Schweets candy shop. Almost everything else was too expensive. I did buy a bunch of the 12" scale pit droids from Episode 1 back in 2000, however, as the store had overbought and subsequently put them on deep clearance.

I'm having the same experience with Toys R Us lately on pricing. Pretty much everything in their store has a premium price over list. For example, it's possible to buy the new Lego pirate ship (set 70413) from Target, Wal-Mart, Lego Store, or Lego Shop at Home for right around $100.00. Toys R Us has it for $110.

TRU usually has good prices when there are sales but regular pricing is meh or a little high. Kmart/Walmart were the place for deals on Lego 15 years ago but today I think it's basically a wash between them and Target.

I think the one or two times I walked into an FAO Schwartz the prices were ludicrous--like 2-3 times what they would have been anywhere else. I wondered how they stayed in business.

Hopefully no one will mind if I bring this up again--

Death Sentence For Boston Bomber Unsettles City He Tore Apart

Excerpt--

To the amazement of people elsewhere, Bostonians overwhelmingly opposed condemning the bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, to death. The most recent poll conducted last month for The Boston Globe, found that just 15 percent of city residents wanted him executed. Statewide, 19 percent did. By contrast, 60 percent of Americans wanted Mr. Tsarnaev to get the death penalty, according to a CBS News poll last month.

No one here felt sympathy for him. Rather, many thought life in prison would be a fate worse than death, especially for someone as young as Mr. Tsarnaev, who is 21. Others feared that putting him to death would make him a martyr. Still others, interviewed around the city Friday night and Saturday, reflected the region’s historical aversion to the death penalty.

I remember that when Tim McVeigh went to the death chamber for the bombing of the Murrah Building and the death of 168 people, he was satisfied with what he had done.  He believed he had, to paraphrase Jefferson, "refreshed the tree of liberty," that he had struck a blow against a government he considered to be tyrannical in its policies and deeds.  Like John Wilkes Booth long before him, he believed he had done right--that he did it for his country.

That to me was not justice.  That was basically giving McVeigh what he wanted--a "hero's" death.  And sending Tsarnaev to the death chamber, while it may not be giving him what he wants, will give him what he thinks is inevitable.  He very likely thinks that Americans hate all Muslims and want them dead, regardless of whether they're terrorists or law-abiding citizens--so it's not a great surprise that they want him dead as well.

Fulfilling Tsarnaev's worst expectations is not justice.  Making a martyr of him is not justice.  Keeping him in prison for the rest of his life (no parole, no pardon) would offer the one possibility that killing him would not--that of realizing he was wrong.  As the years go by in his six-by-eight foot jail cell, away from any radical activist influence, with little company except his own and little to do except sit and think--he may eventually come to regret his actions, and even admit to being mistaken.  And that would be a greater punishment than killing him, having realized he was wrong and having actual remorse for the deaths he caused, and being unable to do anything about it except live with that remorse and regret as he waits for the end of his life in that six-by-eight cell.

Were his sentence somehow commuted to life without parole, it would very likely not happen immediately.  It might not happen after ten years, or even twenty.  But as long as he is alive there would always be the possibility that Tsarnaev would come to realize and regret his transgressions--and that would never happen at all if he were just killed, either peaceably by lethal injection, or violently by a convict hoping to make a name for himself.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

Also always a chance that some fellow fanatic will take hostages demanding his release, etc.  

Mass motorcycle gang brawl turns into a melee(weapons) then gunfight in WACO Texas.   Original reports said three different Gangs, Later info said factions from FIVE  gangs involved.    

Due to presence of so many gang members police were on scene trying to keep civilians away.   

When the shootout started, police were fired at and returned fire.   7 dead on scene, one in hospital, 18 transported to hospital.  Police statements say no officers or civilians injured.  

Two other locations may have been involved.   Over 100 weapons seized, officers arresting(?) latecomers showing up armed...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Waco-Shooting-Near-Twin-Peaks-In-Waco-304043711.html

IIRC "Sons of Anarchy" is one of the most popular shows on TV.   This offends me in so many ways.    The glorification of the Criminal, predatory lifestyle of the gangs is appalling.   

It would be a violation of rights to just lock up every member of every "Outlaw" motorcycle gang in the country...   

TRU usually has good prices when there are sales but regular pricing is meh or a little high. Kmart/Walmart were the place for deals on Lego 15 years ago but today I think it's basically a wash between them and Target.

I think the one or two times I walked into an FAO Schwartz the prices were ludicrous--like 2-3 times what they would have been anywhere else. I wondered how they stayed in business.

Mainly, I think, by marketing themselves to higher-income brackets.  I remember my grandparents (Grandad was an eye doctor) got their catalog all the time when I was little--I saw that catalog and fell in love, especially with the Corgi Batmobile-Batboat set from the TV series.  A seriously cool toy.

Are there any toy stores besides Toys R Us anymore?  I remember when I was little and living near Philadelphia, there was Kiddie City--they're gone now.  So are Kay-Bee Toys and Circus World--you used to find one or the other in every shopping mall--sometimes both.  Children's Palace is also gone--I could find some great stuff there.  (I remember they had some Captain Power Powerbase playsets on clearance sale for twenty dollars--I'm still kicking myself for passing that one up.  :no: )

I guess between Toys R Us and the big box stores--Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target--there's no more need for other toy store chains.  So I guess Toys R Us won.  Congratulations, guys. :mellow:

I guess between Toys R Us and the big box stores--Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target--there's no more need for other toy store chains. So I guess Toys R Us won. Congratulations, guys. :mellow:

Kay-Bee was intentionally destroyed by Mitt Romney and his private equity firm. Its carcass was bought out by TRU. Otherwise the toy market favors large retailers who can negotiate better discounts and/or deal direct with Chinese manufacturers.

Kay-Bee was intentionally destroyed by Mitt Romney and his private equity firm. Its carcass was bought out by TRU. Otherwise the toy market favors large retailers who can negotiate better discounts and/or deal direct with Chinese manufacturers.

Please provide proof. I want to be justified when I leave a bag of flaming Legos on Romney's doorstep.

Mass motorcycle gang brawl turns into a melee(weapons) then gunfight in WACO Texas.   Original reports said three different Gangs, Later info said factions from FIVE  gangs involved.    

Due to presence of so many gang members police were on scene trying to keep civilians away.   

When the shootout started, police were fired at and returned fire.   7 dead on scene, one in hospital, 18 transported to hospital.  Police statements say no officers or civilians injured.  

Two other locations may have been involved.   Over 100 weapons seized, officers arresting(?) latecomers showing up armed...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Waco-Shooting-Near-Twin-Peaks-In-Waco-304043711.html

IIRC "Sons of Anarchy" is one of the most popular shows on TV.   This offends me in so many ways.    The glorification of the Criminal, predatory lifestyle of the gangs is appalling.   

It would be a violation of rights to just lock up every member of every "Outlaw" motorcycle gang in the country...   

Made the news over here.

170 people charged. that is quite amazing.

The Boston Marathon bomber has been sentenced to death by lethal injection.  

I understand that some people are vehemently opposed to the death penalty, but he seems to deserve it about as much as anyone outside serial kllers. 

He deliberately set the bomb down next to a child.   

IMO he is almost certain to burn in hell.   I suppose he could repent, but iirc from the reports out of the courtroom, he showed no remorse. 

Part of me really thinks he should be executed by strapping a satchel charge to his chest with a digital timer in his view.   

That part of me is NOT a good man.  

All I'm going to say on that is that if someone is cruel to me, that doesn't obligate me to be cruel to them in return. Quite the contrary, in fact -- it's horrifyingly difficult not to demand revenge against a crime that heinous, but in the end what do we gain when we kill him? Isn't "all human life is valuable -- except yours" the precise attitude of this man towards his victims?