In other news...

tkdguy

"Look, it was just a bit of friendly banter and hair-pulling." - Said No one.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key Served Sexual Harrassment Law-Suit for repeatedly pulling the pony-tail of a waitress. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/asia/john-key-new-zealand-hair-pulling-lawsuit

Unless the Prime Minster of New Zealand is five years old...this is pretty stupid behavior. 

"Look, it was just a bit of friendly banter and hair-pulling." - Said No one.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key Served Sexual Harrassment Law-Suit for repeatedly pulling the pony-tail of a waitress.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/asia/john-key-new-zealand-hair-pulling-lawsuit

Unless the Prime Minster of New Zealand is five years old...this is pretty stupid behavior.

Unfortunately, he's a pretty stupid guy. He and his political cronies been repeatedly caught doing stupid things - lying to the public, lying to parliament, leaking confidential information, using intelligence services to spy on political opponents, etc. A fair number of his friends have had to resign, but he personally has gotten away with it.

This is actually in character for him: he has form for harassing people and when/if they complain, going "Aw, it was just a bit of fun. What's wrong with you, can't you take a joke?" Etc. Basically, he's a rich, politically powerful guy who seems to like pushing other people's buttons, assuming that he can away with pretty much anything short of full-on assault or rape. Sadly, so far he's been right.

He manages the trick of getting re-elected despite the fact that a majority of voters think that personally he's a bit of a d***, because the opposition is in complete disarray, infighting over trivial issues and because the economy is doing well and he gets credit for that.

Cheers, Mark

See, here's the thing... in some parts of the south, you pull that #### with someone's daughter or wife repeatedly, and it doesn't matter if you're emperor, you will have a group of 'good ole boys' yank your ass outside and have a 'coming to Jesus' meeting with you.... (in this case, for some reason, the meeting with a normally peace loving savior would involve an ass  kicking).

It's not civilized, and I'm not proud of it, but in this case, it might be a much needed learning experience for a certain fellow

See, here's the thing... in some parts of the south, you pull that #### with someone's daughter or wife repeatedly, and it doesn't matter if you're emperor, you will have a group of 'good ole boys' yank your ass outside and have a 'coming to Jesus' meeting with you.... (in this case, for some reason, the meeting with a normally peace loving savior would involve an ass  kicking).

It's not civilized, and I'm not proud of it, but in this case, it might be a much needed learning experience for a certain fellow

When it was discovered that my middle sister's first husband had been having an affair, he almost got a lesson in theological differences. As a Pentecostal, I am Arminian. The rest of my family are Calvinists. Family discussions can be interesting, to say the least. I wanted to tell him, "See, those guys over there are Calvinists. They believe this beating you are about to receive was predestined from the beginning of time.* I'm Arminian and believe this beating you are about to receive is the result of choices made under your own free will.** However, from your perspective, it really doesn't matter, does it?"

Before it came to the come-to-Jesus meeting, he agreed to get out of her life.

*A gross oversimplification of Calvinist Theology

**A gross oversimplification of Arminian Theology

IIRC during the Cold War, Sweden developed a specialized weapon for dealing with the incursions that were occurring.  IIRC it was similar to the Hedgehog style ASW mortar, firing a number of smaller rockets to cover the area the target was believed to be in.  Instead of being large charges designed to destroy the target, as would ordinarily be used, these had a warhead based an the AT4 anti tank rocket.   Again, as I recall, there was a strong magnet in the nose of the projectile.   This would attach to the target, then rotate the warhead to a perpendicular angle.   The shaped charge warhead would then fire,   This was supposed to create enough damage to force the sub to surface, but not enough to destroy it.   

I remember seeing photos tracks made by a tracked vehicle coming out of the water, and reports that Soviet Spetsnaz troops had a submersible with tracks for deployment to land...  whether this was true I have no idea. 

Years later I seem to recall reports that some of the incursions were US subs, and that though they were not "Authorized" the military commanders may have given a "wink wink nudge nudge" response after their comments about them.  The interesting thing I remember is that the GOVERNMENT may not have been in on the "joke."

So there are multiple possibilities.  Most likely, imo, is Russian vessels probing, possibly trying to intimidate the governments of Sweden and Finland.   

Funny, I have never gotten the impression that EITHER Nation took Intimidation well.   

In some ways, despite the religion having a presence here for over a thousand years, this is not a Christian land.

I'm feeling cynical of late, so I think you win the honesty game because

Despite our American politicians trotting out his name every election cycle, many of those same pro big money screw the poor and ill stances they take make me think we're fooling ourselves as  a nation for pretending the US is anything near "Christ Like"

I'm feeling cynical of late, so I think you win the honesty game because

Despite our American politicians trotting out his name every election cycle, many of those same pro big money screw the poor and ill stances they take make me think we're fooling ourselves as  a nation for pretending the US is anything near "Christ Like"

Christian has never equaled Christ Like.  Though that is why I do not consider myself a "Good Christian," because I am not very Christ Like.

yeah but aren't they at least supposed to try?

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”- GK Chesterton

But I suppose i've derailed the thread.

In unrelated news An Unmanned Russian Spacecraft is plunging to Earth ,

Superhero origin time kids!

Why does no-one like New Jersey?

I read that more as no one liking the Kardashians ;)

Most hate for New Jersey seems to come from New York City residents.  And New Jersey guys resent the folks in the Big Apple.

Sad how folks turn on their fellow Americans like that....

Damn Yankees should learn to get along!

;)