In other news...

tkdguy

Iceland is pondering some radical banking ideas. (as I understand it, centralizing all the banks.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/02/iceland-has-a-radical-plan-to-redefine-money/

hmm, and centralized power has always made the right decisions, of course...

i have concerns, probably no matter how things are done, someone will abuse the system. 

That's not what she said. From the article:

"Early Wednesday, one of the shop's owners Crystal O'Connor said she would refuse to cater a same-sex wedding as the shop was a "Christian establishment.""

She didn't say if they come in they will be refused service. She said she would not participate (even by being paid to be there) at a same-sex wedding. That's a contract job and not part of her normal business. That's her freedom of association. As a business owner, it should be her right to reserve the right to refuse contract service to anyone for any reason. And likewise the person requesting her service should simply bow out when it becomes stated that the service provider does not want to be involved.

It's also worth noting this lady was "ambushed" by a journalist. She didn't release a press statement. She was in her shop, someone came in, and asked a question. She answered.

Let's say there's a Muslim photographer in my town, and he's the absolute best around. Let's say that I want to hire him for my son's birthday party. I want him to come and take pictures of everyone and everything. Oh, and as part of the celebration, all the friends are bringing their dogs. I promised every parent a picture of their child with their dog. Oh, and we're serving pulled-pork sandwiches. The photographer has to take pictures of us eating. And some of the dads will be drinking beer. I want those pictures taken too.

When I explain the party to him, he says, "Oh, no. In Islam dogs are unclean, we don't eat pork, and we don't drink beer. I would be very uncomfortable in such a setting and could not take good pictures. But I know a great guy who wouldn't be offended at all. Here's his card."

At this point, I have two choices: 1) Sue him for not accepting my business. 2) Thank him, walk away, and call the name on the card he just gave me.

What's the adult thing to do?

Along the same lines:

Christian Man Gets Denied Service By THIRTEEN Gay Bakeries After Requesting Pro-Traditional Marriage Cake 

http://rightwingnews.com/top-news/christian-man-gets-denied-service-by-thirteen-gay-bakeries-after-requesting-pro-traditional-marriage-cake/

Not sure. 

Ah. Well if it's just a game of "Your side has assholes too!" we knew that. What they should do is sue and see if the legal system can work for everyone equally. 

A boycott probably won't work as there's not a high chance of them frequenting openly gay shops to begin with - so suing might work. The publicity can work two ways, as seen with Chick-Fil-A, they did brisk business following the announced boycott due to supporters of inequality in marriage. 

Ah. Well if it's just a game of "Your side has assholes too!" we knew that. What they should do is sue and see if the legal system can work for everyone equally. 

A boycott probably won't work as there's not a high chance of them frequenting openly gay shops to begin with - so suing might work. The publicity can work two ways, as seen with Chick-Fil-A, they did brisk business following the announced boycott due to supporters of inequality in marriage. 

They actually went in requesting a cake with "Gay marriage is wrong" or some such.   Little more inflammatory.   But still...

More on Indiana's new law:

http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/promoting-bigotry-or-sincerely-held-belief/Content?oid=3097562

Buried deep in there is an important point: as far as the issue all the stink is about, namely discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation, this law does NOT actually change anything in Indiana. It was, and remains, already legal to refuse to hire, rent to, or sell to, a person based on their sexual orientation. An employer could already say "You're gay? You're fired!" with complete impunity.

But now that they've decided to shine a big old spotlight on that ugly injustice, I expect they'll find they've only made it that much sooner and more certain that things like orientation and gender identity will become legally protected in Indiana. Passing this law was a huge self-defeating blunder for those who thought it was a good idea.  

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that the law may actually make a difference in those municipalities that DO actually have local ordnances forbidding such discrimination

They actually went in requesting a cake with "Gay marriage is wrong" or some such.   Little more inflammatory.   But still...

True. I suppose "assholes" is a little strong. I'm pretty sure we can that going into a "Insert Religion/Group Here" and asking for a "Said Religion/Group Sucks" cake isn't really the same as asking for a "Congratulations Barry and Milo" Cake. (Or Pizza)

Not me. Just like it didn't surprise me that the police have recently begun using equipment to track every phone call withn a certain radius of a cell tower when they didn't know who they were looking for, or who they would call.

CES