In other news...

tkdguy

Possible effective treatment for Alzheimer's based on focused ultrasound???

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/7/278/278ra33

I remember there was a medication under test that was supposed to break down the Amyloid Plaques.  I heard later that this actually seemed to WORSEN symptoms.  

If this can possibly RESTORE memory function...

2017 for early human trials will probably be too late for my dad.  

:weep:

They did a memory test last week, we have not  heard the results yet.   If they are in a certain range, there is apparently a medication that can be administered to slow the deterioration, and even covered by insurance.   

Still...

Fingers crossed for your dad.

Medicine proceeds by leaps and bounds but never quite in time, it seems.  We have a family member who was permanently affected by polio, for example.

I know a wonderful woman who is a Polio victim.  One of the world's best Accordianists and she Judges international competitions.   She is on of those Angels that you sometimes meet.  

Russia Threatens danish warships could be targets of nuclear attack if Denmark joins NATO missile shield program.

which is NOT aimed at Russia, and the missiles involved would be basically useless against Russian ICBMs anyway

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/22/us-denmark-russia-idUSKBN0MI0ML20150322

did that link right?  edit, yes it did

I've finally come to the conclusion that the A-10s and CAS mission should be given to the Army and/or Marines.  Along with the funding.  If the USAF hates the job that much, let's give it to someone who'll do it right.

tear up the key west accord, and another iirc from the 80s...

I suspect they pilots would feel like rockstars if they transferred to the Army...   Truly appreciated, and not mocked. 

Why should there be any loss of rank or pay cuts if the entire CAS mission is transferred to a different service?  I'd expect that the pilots and maintenance crews would be allowed to convert to the Army equivalent of the same rank--but I have no military background myself to know how (or if) that would work.

Why should there be any loss of rank or pay cuts if the entire CAS mission is transferred to a different service?  I'd expect that the pilots and maintenance crews would be allowed to convert to the Army equivalent of the same rank--but I have no military background myself to know how (or if) that would work.

Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots are officers, but Army pilots are NCOs.  Not that warrant officers are paid badly, but rank is pretty central to the identity of a long-term military officer, and I can't imagine any of them would allow themselves to get busted down to enlisted.  They'd quit first.

Air force pilot transfers: "What do you mean I need to exercise more?"

There's that, although fighter pilots already have to work out quite a bit--the job is more strenuous than you would think.  However USAF culture is almost corporate, while the USMC is kind of a mix of bros, frats, guns, and testosterone.  Even Marine officers are unusually gung ho about their work.  That's the real culture clash that would occur.