In other news...

tkdguy

You know, It's My Party was a catchy song about high school angst, I could deal with that. The followup Judy's turn to Cry is about Two Timing Johnny coming back and claiming singer girl by punching out someone who is nice to her.

She wrote other songs, such as "Maybe I know" about dating a cheater.

I was kind of put off by that as I got older. But today, I found out: she wrote her songs (sometimes with her brother) wrote It's my party at 16. Makes more sense then

Found out today, that she also wrote "You Don't Own Me." which makes up for quite a bit of the scary 50's era "romance" stuff. 

She was also in the 60's Batman Series as one of Catwoman's aids. Sang a few songs as well. don't remember that episode. Saw some clips on YouTube tonight.

Wikipedia suggests that Lesley didn't write her well known songs (the ones you mentioned) and was just the singer. Her brother and her did write songs, Out Here On My Own from the Fame film soundtrack (her brother scored the film & also Pretty In Pink). 

I previously wasn't aware that Lesley acted int he 60s Batman tv show, so thanks for letting me know. 

And here is Lesley Gore from the TAMI Show, I have the DVD and just watched it again. My favourite performance is the second song, You Don't Own Me. 

My sympathies for the tragedy. The pictures of the vigil are lovely

Thanks - they estimate about 30,000 people took part in the vigil in Copenhagen with thousands more in other smaller towns and cities.

Everybody hopes we can follow Norway's lead on this (in the way they responded to Breivik) and not let it poison public debate: so far, the political response has been reasonably measured, which is a good sign.

cheers, Mark

I think I found her problem:

“Well, I’m not fine yet,” Sacco said to me. “I had a great career, and I loved my job, and it was taken away from me, and there was a lot of glory in that. Everybody else was very happy about that.”

Bold added for emphasis. 

This is in my town, though I don't recognize what part of it she's in.

While I don't think we've received gifts from the crows, we do recognize local crows and have ... cordial ... relations with those who nest near us.  My daughter makes contributions to the crows on her five-block walk to school, and we have a dilapidated lawn table on which I leave things (and I in fact call it "the crow offering table").  The cats are not so keen on the big glossy black birds, but AFAIK none of our current cats have actually tried attacking one.  One of our former cats did, and I found it very interesting that the crows would harass that one -- he was a small black cat -- and ignore the other two, one of whom was a bigger, fatter, but otherwise very similar black cat.

If it weren't for the damned squirrels, I'd leave peanuts out for the crows.  But the squirrels are a major nuisance and the peanuts would draw them too.

Squirrels are a concrete nuisance: they will gnaw on the woodwork, and will (given the chance) establish nests in houses, sometimes making substantial destruction.  I don't know how they have done it, but the local squirrels have established a detante with our cats; I have seen a squirrel hop past a cat, distance about eight open feet of grass in our yard, and cat and squirrel ignored the other.  At least a two of our three cats do hunt, kill, and consume small songbirds (wrens, juncos, kinglets, bushtits): I have seen and dealt with the remains.

Crows are seasonally noisy, but I haven't noticed them being destructive.  They will get into trash containers that are left unsecured, which is a nuisance in parks, at bus stops, and so on, but most residents keep their outside trash containers closed in a way the crows don't try to open.  Dropped food, or food left unattended, will be collected quickly if it's a sort they will eat.  Watching the swift gathering of crows around an open Doritos bag left out in the open is borderline spooky.

When my Mom moved into her current residence, she was warned about the crows, and given a list of precautions to prevent them dumping the trash, including having lids that lock down on the cans, spraying the bags with cleaning chemicals, padlocking the utility closet where the can is stored, and so on.

She took a different tack: she feeds them. On trash day, her crows will arrive near the back porch, and will wait patiently for her to put out peanut butter sandwiches (cut into fourths). The crows will approach the edge of the porch, bow their heads, and tap a foot. She will tell them that it's okay to take their small square of sandwich, and only then will they approach and take theirs. After a few months of this, the original pair brought along a juvenile, who was presented to her (they called to her, did the greeting above, and then called to "junior" to come forward, which he did). Her trash is never touched, even though she doesn't put the bags into the barrel much anymore. I jokingly tell her that she's paying "protection money" with the sandwiches.

The neighbor, on the other hand, frequently has to pick up the mess of strewn trash. Seems one of the folks over there decided to yell at the crows, and throw objects. Crows can really hold grudges.

The last wrinkle in this was a bit of "outside muscle" from the coast--a seagull that was blown in on one of the storms a few months ago. The crows seemed to adopt the seagull into their little group, and have somehow "explained the rules" about what trash is off limits and what's fair game. So, now the seagull knocks over the neighbor's trashcan, and sits in their recycling bins (to throw out choice bits), while the crows cheer it on.

Well...now I feel like I didn't apply myself.

http://www.thebetterindia.com/10904/jadav-molai-payeng-forest-man-india/

Teenager worked a reforestation project in 1980...stuck with it by himself after everyone else had left.

Single handedly created a forest that now homes Bengal tigers and Indian Rhinos. It's a bit anvilicious with the message but damn, That's a fricken accomplishment. He is rightly honored. 

Oddly enough, here's another one. This guy in Africa. They made a movie about him I guess. 

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/meet-yacouba-sawadogo-the-man-who-stopped-the-desert.html

The amazing thing is that one man (in both these stories) is able to undo ecological decay through effort and perseverance.

The sad thing is that the (vast majority of the) rest of us are too busy using the resources to even try.