Limitaions on Perks (Vehicles) (6e)

zbrendon

Can Vehicles (or bases I guess) be purchased with limitations?

I would normally say "no", but someone had an interesting idea to have a vehicle linked to themselves through a damage feedback loop... Whenever the vehicle takes damage, so do they. Whenever they take damage, so does the vehicle.

I think this is worth some points, but I think giving limitations to vehicles can make a single CP go way too far.

What do you think?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I could not find a thread on the topic.

I don't see why not.

Technically, a vehicle / base is itself just a "-4" limitation; further limitations provide exponentially less benefit.

If you think about it:  20 points buys 100 point vehicle.  Let's be insanely cheezy and say this vehicle is only there to give me YET ANOTHER 60 AP attack.

That 60 points costs my character 12 points.  If I then apply a -1/4 "Only in Alternate ID" (the gun-on-wheels ignition system is tied to a smart-alleck AI who hates everyone other than Captain Guncar, including his mild-mannered alter-ego...)  That saves me another 2 points.

I wouldn't let a player load up on limitations (for instance, a vehicle as an OAF?  NO.  It is by nature a focus.)  But if it makes sense?  Sure.

And I think that is legal, RAW.

Another option is to apply such "limitations" as complications on the vehicle / base / follower.

I think I can accomplish what I am looking for by using the vehicles "Complications".

Bases and vehicles usually take Limitations/Disads/Complications of their own to reduce the overall cost to the character. Taking the limitation on the character's point expenditure for the item isn't usually done.

I was under the impression tht in 6e, "Matching Complications" do not reduce the cost of vehicles, they were there only to provide flavor and role playing opportunity.

Am I misunderstanding how "Matching Complications" work?

Bases and vehicles usually take Limitations/Disads/Complications of their own to reduce the overall cost to the character. Taking the limitation on the character's point expenditure for the item isn't usually done.

But in my other thread, it seems the rules are that the base / follower / summon complications have no effect on the final cost of the base / follower / summon...

I are confused.

I work with 5th. No complications that way.

Yes, there are, they are just called disadvantages; and most 1 for 5 powers like followers and bases and such can all have disadvantages themselves; with some unique to bases (location complications, etc.)

And I'm fairly certain that in 5th or 6th, complications / advantages has no affect on the final cost; limitations, if allowed, would.

Matching Complications are not ideally explained. In fact nothing changed between 5E and 6E, except the way Total Points/Base Points/Complication Points are dispalyed.

In 5E it was:

Base Points/Complication Points;

leaving the Total Points to be a math excercise.

Wich was kinda annoying because you need to calculate that a 100/150 Character has equal total points to a 200/50 Character - both have 250 Total but this is not easily apparent.

In 6E it is:

Total Points/Complication Points;

Base Points is now the math excercise. And a pointless one at that - not a single Forumla uses base points. All now work with Total Points 100% of the time.

Now seeing that a 250/150 and a 250/50 Character have equal total points is so much easier.

If you take less then the Matching Complications, you have less Character points left for other stuff. Basically you "buy off" the Complications when taking less then [Matching Complication Amount] worth of Complications.

Regarding Complication on Vehicles/Bases (6E1 107/6E2 194):

The Cost of a Vehicle/base seem to be based on Total Points/5. They normally do not have Matching Complication. So by default there are X/0, with X being whatever the Total Cost happens to be in the end.

The GM can require them to have Matching Complications, how many he chooses. Some example vehicles have Distinctive Features built in.

Except for those two cases, Complications on Base/Vehicle are explicitly a Flavor thing.