Martial Arts in Superheroic Games

JohnOSpencer

Re: Martial Arts in Superheroic Games

Bricks with Boxing? It makes sense to me' date=' especially as these people put thier lives on the line daily and survive only by thier Martial skills.[/quote']

I disagree (though I understand your perspective)...

Boxing, like any other true martial art, requires constant mental and physical training. Who does the Thing spar with? Is he still fast enough to utilize the proper footwork in conjunction with jabs and combinations to be even remotely considered a Boxer?

I have been reading FF since... Okay, I'm old... never mind... But suffice to say I've been a fan for a long time. It's true that Ben often reminds us that he was a Prize Fighter... But I've never seen him fight like a boxer. He throws BOMBS! not a series of jabs combined with quick left to right footwork to create the proper angle for a faked left hook that forces his opponent to duck right into a disguised uppercut.

They don't call it the "Sweet Science" because anyone who can throw a punch is a Boxer.

Ben's like me. In my past I was an accredited tennis player (Missouri Valley) - again, a very, very long time go...

Now, I still know everything I learned in my training... But I darn well couldn't walk out onto a court and instantly play the same as I did back when I spent 2-6 hours a day training. Essentially, I have traded in my tennis maneuvers for a Knowledge Skill: Tennis. For Ben, it seems more realistic to me that he has traded in his Martial Art: Boxing (and the associated martial maneuvers) for a KS: Boxing and several Combat Skill Levels (as he learned to function within his new body) along with a host of Brick Tricks! :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually demand that Martial Arts of any kind be associated with an indepth description of how the character learned and maintains his skills. Usually, this keeps the use of martial maneuvers to the characters totally dedicated to martial arts (Captain America/Daredevil/Iron Fist/Karate Kid/Karnak... etc.). Characters that spend all of their spare moments on magic, machines, science, etc rarely have the time to split between the their core compentancy and martial arts.

Now, I'm not saying that the scientist isn't capable of spending a hour a day to practice some form of martial art... However, we're talking superheroic level martial arts. The average Tai-Ch'i-Ch'uan or Wu Shu practitioner wouldn't be effective against superheroes (or a big, angry [sober] thug with a gun for that matter). Thus... Real martial arts (purchased manuevers) are limited to those who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of perfection in combat. Otherwise, its all just a background story perhaps reflected in a few Knowledge Skills or maybe even Analyze (for those who study a lot but do not practice).

As for Bricks... who taught them? It would require a master of unparalleled skill to modify so many maneuvers to the requirements of many Bricks... And, then, why would a Brick (someone who can smash a car into dust) need to learn how to amplify his attack capability?

Is it possible that a Brick can learn a martial art? Sure. But it's far less likely. Its more reasonable to assume a Brick will spend his time honing his natural abilities, which translates much better as Brick Tricks than Martial Arts.

So, I guess I'm saying that I (as a GM and Player) regulate the use of Martial Arts (in a superheroic campaign) through backgrounds and character development.

So saying that Siberian Tiger was given the magic amulet that gives him his (granted, uber-munchkin) powers because he was the best student Fu-Chiao Pai (Tiger-Style) Kung Fu wouldn't work?:D Not even if I took out the uber-munchkin part?

Guest steamteck

I usually demand that Martial Arts of any kind be associated with an indepth description of how the character learned and maintains his skills.

So, I guess I'm saying that I (as a GM and Player) regulate the use of Martial Arts (in a superheroic campaign) through backgrounds and character development.

I use the same system myself and there are still a few martial artist bricks out there. Usually also with their teachers as contacts. Teams with multiple bricks can have them spar and learn from each other. The Superheroic level of martial arts in bricks is almost unheard of among bricks but there are a couple. Most bricks though choose a few non martial maneuvers and master them.

Although not really a brick, one of our most dangerous PCs is the Black Widow. Imagine a female Batman with Spider-man's powers trained in martial Arts by Jean Claude Van Damm's old master from Kickboxer. ( who of course is a contact and watches her also) A really agile demi-brick with martial arts can really be very dangerous. Still she isn't overwhelming and doesn't steal the show.

So saying that Siberian Tiger was given the magic amulet that gives him his (granted' date=' uber-munchkin) powers because he was the best student Fu-Chiao Pai (Tiger-Style) Kung Fu wouldn't work?:D Not even if I took out the uber-munchkin part?[/quote']

That amulet would be the hottest target of the villain community since Mega Woman lost the key to her magical chastity belt!!!

Oh, I might allow the amulet (minus munchkinisms), but you can bet it'd be hard to keep. :eg:

Can't argue with that.

Although I had defined the amulet as a 'personal' focus, at least in that it would only work for a student of Tiger style Kung Fu. ;) Still, it would be a pretty hot item on the magic black market! :D

Once the word of that amulet hit the streets enrollment at the local Tiger style Kung Fu kwoon would go through the roof!!! The real winner would be the kwoon's sifu. :D