Two Characters

Uthanar

If looking at a character that is actually two separate people, what is the general way that is purchased?  It seems like it should be Follower, and the special effect is that the two of them are linked.  But I was uncertain if I should be looking at Duplication with Cannot Recombine. 

Thanks for thoughts.

Just an image that popped into my head of two agent type characters that go by the name Binary.  Older black man with white hair (from age), white suit, black shirt, white tie & a younger white woman with black hair, black suit, white shirt, black tie. 

The look just told me that they should be Agent type characters.  They have the whole MIB and many other references going for them in that look.  Two of them are linked, and don't really keep up with Super Hero types by themselves, but are pretty good in a lot of skill regards and such. 

At this point it is just an idea that I was wondering about.  To make them different through Duplication increases the price over the cost of Follower (that both of them pay for similar to Duplication rules) would make me lean towards wanting to use Follower for it. 

If the Duplication is one that never actually goes off (Power is never specifically used) but is just constantly in effect can it be Drained?  I think that it could be Dispelled if someone wished to do so...unless it is Inherent. 

Thanks for thoughts!

Hulk and Bruce Banner are two separate people. 

Multiform or OIHID powers come to mind in creating a character.  I use Density Increase Mass 400 No END Persistent Always On for My Hulk (and She Hulk, and Red Hulk, and Red She Hulk).

Does everyone in the Marvel Universe have powers now?

It is not a person who can change into another person, it is two people at the same time.  They would be able to interact as any other two people could interact, with likely purchased mental link or something.  As I said, just an idea that was running through head. 

I've run games where the players had several characters each, and would rotate through as needed for the adventure. Just because there's two characters to one player doesn't mean that they both have to be active at the same time.

Another option is to have someone else do one of the pair.

You would let a player play two complete characters both equal in points to the other PCs without paying for it somehow?

I don't see where it was said they were both the equal of the other player's characters.

Also, unless specifically stated by the GM to be an adversarial game one guy having 2 characters isn't an advantage. It is more of a hassle if anything for the player, but for the GM, one less NPC to worry about - though there could be too much "spotlight" for that one player. Again these potential pitfalls are more dependent on who the players/gm are.

Refer to Derek's first post.

Can do exactly what the OP wants depending on how the characters are built. Joys of a toolbox.

The OP specifically asked fot One Character to be Two People. How is your comment about your entire group having multiple characters that they cycle through relevant? Did they play multiple characters at once? Because it didn't sound like it from your comment.

EDIT: Having someone else play half the pair is obviously in no way, shape, or form "exactly what the OP wants." At all. The question wasn't "how do you make two entirely different PCs that have a gimick ang work together?" was it? That's just called character creation...

I don't see where it was said they were both the equal of the other player's characters.

Also, unless specifically stated by the GM to be an adversarial game one guy having 2 characters isn't an advantage. It is more of a hassle if anything for the player, but for the GM, one less NPC to worry about - though there could be too much "spotlight" for that one player. Again these potential pitfalls are more dependent on who the players/gm are.

You are correct that point totals were not mentioned. I think it would be safe to assume that the PC woukd be based on the same numbet of points as every othet PC, wouldn't you? Now if this dynamic duo is built there will be a loss in points to pay for the Follower or Duplication or whatever. The reply of "just make two characters" glosses over numerous details most notably "should they be built at the same point total as the other PCs" .

The OP specifically asked fot One Character to be Two People. How is your comment about your entire group having multiple characters that they cycle through relevant? Did they play multiple characters at once? Because it didn't sound like it from your comment.

EDIT: Having someone else play half the pair is obviously in no way, shape, or form "exactly what the OP wants." At all. The question wasn't "how do you make two entirely different PCs that have a gimick ang work together?" was it? That's just called character creation...

You are correct that point totals were not mentioned. I think it would be safe to assume that the PC woukd be based on the same numbet of points as every othet PC, wouldn't you? Now if this dynamic duo is built there will be a loss in points to pay for the Follower or Duplication or whatever. The reply of "just make two characters" glosses over numerous details most notably "should they be built at the same point total as the other PCs" .

Well, let us not throw options/ideas out in a brainstorming manner. Sometimes character creation is all that is required.

Yes. Multiple characters were sometimes played by the same player.

This is the Champions forum and the OP stated that he sees the characters as Agent level. That implies a point differential inherently.

Agent is not so much a power level, but a style of character in what I was writing.  Someone without a obvious super power that is skill based with mundane Focus for weaponry.  They are not gods, power suits, or anything like that. 

The issue that I had with Duplication over Follower is that it felt prohibitively expensive to make the two different than each other and being Inherent.  Follower would not require either one of those. 

As for points, what it was looking like was 300 point characters, so Follower would invest 60 of those into the Second character (which would also buy the 60 points of Follower akin to Duplication). 

Duplication on the other hand would come out to at least 90, 60 for the effect, +1/4 for Inherent, +1/4 for 25% different than each other.  Cannot Recombine is -0, so no refund there. 

Was just trying to get some ideas on what folks thought on it. 

Obviously playing 2 characters that are noticably lower than the other 300 point characters is part of the effect.  If other folks were playing multiple characters it would not leave that player feeling special in what they could do. 

Thanks for thoughts!

Edit: Think of Mas y Menos from DC.  They are Speedsters that only have powers that work when they are with each other.  I assume that this would be one player having two characters.  Here though you don't need to have the other to use your 'super power', since it is primarily agent training and such. 

Firestorm was two people at the same time.  Ronnie Raymond and Prof Martin Stein had to combined to create Firestorm.  

Blue Beetle has the same problem.  He's a combination of Jaime Reyes and the Blue Beetle Scarab.

The Thorn thought she was Rose Forrest sister, despite being in the same body.

Exactly what would be the point of having two characters in one body?

Firestorm was two people at the same time.  Ronnie Raymond and Prof Martin Stein had to combined to create Firestorm.  

Blue Beetle has the same problem.  He's a combination of Jaime Reyes and the Blue Beetle Scarab.

The Thorn thought she was Rose Forrest sister, despite being in the same body.

Exactly what would be the point of having two characters in one body?

Considering all of the characters from comics you list as examples it would seem that there are plenty of reasons.  That's kind of besides the point since what is being discussed is not two people in one body, but two people (in two seperate bodies) essentially acting as one character.

Oh, that's easy.  

The Specials, a 2000 Movie, had a character called Eight, who was one mind in eight bodies.  In game terms you'd have to buy a follower with Mind Link, and a form of Clairvoyance that would allow both characters to sense the same things even when apart.

Does the character have the same powers/skills?  Do they feel pain if the other is hurt?  

Often similar skills, but there is difference.  I would expect that it would be within the +1/4 for 25% difference from Duplication. 

Feel each others pain, probably not...but maybe.  At this point it is just an idea, not anything that has been very fleshed out. 

And yes, 2 bodies, 1 Player. 

No it doesn't

Two characters of lesser points is arguably an option. You're assuming too much and seem somehow insulted that 2 characters was made an option. I doubt A) that the GM would allow it if it caused other players to be angry and B ) we don't know enough about the supposed campaign to make any judgments anyway. So again, I think 2 characters would be a viable option should the GM set parameters. 

Alternately, we could go the other direction on the Player/GM power play scale and say, that yes; two 400pt characters in the hands of one player is disruptive, and divisive. At that point, we would suggest one of the (slightly) more complex builds involving Duplication or (even more complex) Mental Illusions :)