Follow Up on Follow Up on Usable on Other on Usable on Other

Lucius

Question

2-3. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure I follow what you're asking, so I'm going to default to "that's up to the GM."

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be obscure. Let me try with examples.

Suppose I build a God of Thieves and use the following Power:

Stealing Power: (Total: 126 Active Cost, 126 Real Cost) Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 90 Active Points of Any Power, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (44 Active Points) (Real Cost: 44) plus Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) for up to 44 Active Points of Usable by Other (defense is: not if Power is Holy/Divine SFX or granted by some Deity), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (82 Active Points) (Real Cost: 82)

A1. Opening up Champions Complete to find an example victim, I see that Kinetik's Super-Running Power is exactly 90 Active Points, and is not explicitly granted by any God. I can therefore take this Power and use it, meanwhile depriving Kinetic of it?

A2. Ironclad's Dorvalan Sword is also under my Active Point limit and not especially holy, and I'm assuming it's Universal. I can take it and use it, but of course under the Limitations that are part of the Power, meaning Ironclad can get it back with a Disarm or Grab Weapon maneuver? And for that matter, anyone else could Grab it?

A3. Defender's Powered Armor isn't explicitly defined as Personal, but could easily be so. If it's Personal, I can NOT take away any of the Powers bought through the Focus; but if it is Universal, I can, for example, take and use the Resistant Protection, leaving Defender with just 5 pts of non-resistant PD and ED, while I enjoy the benefit of the armor's protection?

A4. Assuming the answers to the above are "yes" then it would seem that, apart from whatever defense is built into such a Power construct as a necessary part of Usable as Attack, the only protection is to have one's Powers in a Personal Focus. Is this correct?

While I'm at it, here's another Power I created for a "Rogue-like" character a while ago that's different enough from the above that it may change the answers:

Anything you can do I can do better: (Total: 310 Active Cost, 100 Real Cost) Usable By Other (+1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; +1) for up to 100 Active Points of Any wild card power, Usable By Other (+1/4), Constant (+1/2) (219 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Unpredictable psychic bond; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 73) plus Aid Borrowed Power 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Can Apply (Remove) Adders (+1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (60 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Only to Aid Self (-1) (Real Cost: 14) plus Borrowed Power 13- (Real Cost: 7) plus +2 Overall (24 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Limited Power Only with Borrowed Power (-1) (Real Cost: 6)

Instead of "stealing" Power, this only permits "borrowing" for a strictly limited time and with mutual consent.

B1. I could, if Kinetik agrees, borrow his Super-Running Power and get somewhere in a tearing hurry?

B2a. Ironclad, if he wants to, can give me his sword without the use of this Power being needed, so I could keep the Super Running and still accept the sword as he hands it off to me? (Maybe I'm about to hit the God of Thieves with a Move Through....)

B2b. On the other hand, I COULD use this Power to take the sword if I wanted - and of course, if Ironclad agreed?

B3. Since in the previous answer you stated that a Personal Focus could have a Power that's Usable by Others, I could borrow the Resistant Defense from Defender's armor if for some reason he was willing to do without for a short time to let me have the protection?

B4. I just realized that my second example Power, being written for a specific context, lacks the Variable Special Effects Advantage that would let it apply to Ironclad's sword or Defender's armor as well Kinetik's Super-Running. Will you please assume that it has that Advantage when answering the above questions?

Lucius Alexander

Now I may have to redefine the Palindromedary as a Personal Focus...

1 answer to this question