Growth and big hands and feet

dsatow

Question

At the huge level and beyond, growth gives a character an area affect with hands and feet. This has raised some questions

1) Can a huge or larger hero use martial arts?

2) Are the damage dice for martial arts limited or reduced. (i.e. Gigantic Hero would have 80 Strength of AoE. If they start with 15 strength, that would give them 75 strength. Gigantic give +60 strength for those without a rule book reading this. If he does a Martial Strike, does he do 15d6, 16d6, or 16 1/2 d6 in damage?)

3) If a Gigantic hero does a martial grab, does he still only grab a set number of limbs? Gigantic gives a 2m AoE, which would cover the height of the entire hero, for those without a rulebook.

4) If a Gigantic Hero is tripped, knocked back, etc. (any unplanned fall) can they use the AoE to target what they smash when they fall? (i.e. Gigantic Hero is tripped by Superduperman and begins to fall. If Gigantic Hero has a delayed action, can he while falling land in such a way that his palms smash the awestruck agents?)

5) I am assuming that the area of effect on strength with martial arts would prevent the use of it to do NND attacks like Nerve strike or Choke hold. But nothing in the power says otherwise. I can assume those its part of the unnamed complication right?

PS: As a GM, you can replace HERO with VILLAIN and AGENTS with INNOCENT BYSTANDERS. MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

1 answer to this question

1-2, and I think also 5. As shown on 6E1 443, the Area Of Effect derived from large size/Growth is purchased only for STR. It’s not bought for Martial Arts or anything else. Therefore, while a large/Grown character can use Martial Arts, they don’t apply to an Area (unless the GM rules otherwise, or better yet the character buys the same Area for his Martial attacks using the rules in HSMA). 3. I’d swear this is answered in print somewhere, but I can’t find it and I’m sick of looking. So I’m answering here, but reserve the right to change my answer if necessary. ;) The answer is he still only Grabs the number of limbs defined by the Maneuver; adding Area Of Effect to a Grab doesn’t let him Grab more limbs than normal. 4. That’s up to the GM.