Defending against Change Environment?

Steve

In looking at Change Environment, I'm wondering what ways you can use to defend against its effects. Against things like temperature changes, Life Support would work. But what about reductions in characteristic rolls?

What are ways to defend against Change Environment?

Depends on the nature of the special effect. Generally I would throw out the following guidelines;

Damage: Resistant Defenses.

Movement and Characteristic Rolls: Environmental Movement and/or Life Support

Perception Rolls: Enhanced Senses to counter or make sensory deprivation moot.

Wind speed: Strength or Environmental Movement

Penalties to Range or other Combat Mods: PSLs

Telekinetic Strength: STR vs STR roll.

ALL: Change Environment - Opposite Effect and maybe even Desolidification

In looking at Change Environment' date=' I'm wondering what ways you can use to defend against its effects. Against things like temperature changes, Life Support would work. But what about reductions in characteristic rolls? What are ways to defend against Change Environment?[/quote']

What are the defenses against suffering the effects of natural disasters? It's basically the same question. Change Environment is not a single ability. Rather, it is a method for characters to control or recreate one or more aspects of the natural environment.

Depends on the nature of the special effect. Generally I would throw out the following guidelines; Damage: Resistant Defenses. Movement and Characteristic Rolls: Environmental Movement and/or Life Support Perception Rolls: Enhanced Senses to counter or make sensory deprivation moot. Wind speed: Strength or Environmental Movement Penalties to Range or other Combat Mods: PSLs Telekinetic Strength: STR vs STR roll. ALL: Change Environment - Opposite Effect and maybe even Desolidification

I think this sums it up. Remember that each of the penalties that you suffer are due to some kind of environmental hazard and all it takes is a little bit of thought on how you could circumvent those hazards. Whenever someone uses Change Environment they have to specify what they're doing. When they create a field that reduces running, they have to specify that it's because the ground turned to mud, meaning environmental movement would get around it (or if you found some means of creating a solid surface to stand on such as a force wall). Dense fog can cause reduced PER, in which case other vision types (IR, UV, X-Ray) would penetrate it. Damage from High winds and intense heat/cold could be counteracted by creating a force wall to shield you (provides resistant defense to prevent burns or debris).

Basically it takes some creative thinking and the OK from the GM for ways to get around it.