Force Fields with resistant protection?

Nolan Segrest

Re: Force Fields with resistant protection?

pretty much what it says on the tin. how would one model a force field that grants resistant protection? i would just add the area of effect advantage to resistant protection' date=' but im working with Hero Designer and that doesn't seem to be a legal option. Suggestions?[/quote']

The simplest way would be to buy Resistant Protection and call it a, "Force Field." Depending on how you picture it working you may want to add Costs Endurance or Fuel Charges to represent the energy it requires to run. If you wanted to cover an area you would use Barrier instead of Resistant Protection.

Based on the mention of Area of Effect in the initial post it sounds like you are looking for something to model the special effect of a "force field" that is a bubble around the character (and can protect other characters) like those used by Invisible Woman or Brianiac 5. If this is correct then Barrier is probably the mechanic* you are looking for.

*Barrier is the 6e replacement for Force Wall from previous editions.

The simplest way would be to buy Resistant Protection and call it a' date=' "Force Field." Depending on how you picture it working you may want to add [b']Costs Endurance[/b] or Fuel Charges to represent the energy it requires to run.

One could also buy the Resistant advantage on their PD and ED, and then use Resistant Protection to add to your base PD and ED till you get to your target rPD and rED.

I would place it inside of a Compound power to be clearer to a GM what they power(s) do.

ie Character has 8PD and 8ED

Buy Resistant Advantage on the Base number (in Powers Choose PD, Check "Add Modifiers to base Characteristic" click ok)

Buy +12rPD, +12rED Resistant Protection power

to make it truly a forcefield limit the power with either "nonpersistant" or "Costs Endurance"

This character has a 20PD/20ED "Forcefield" that shuts off when they are stunned/KOed/or when they run out of end.

the sticking point here is being able to protect other people with the force field. barrier is area of effect by default' date=' but it isnt resistant, and that's the particular quality i was interested in.[/quote']

If you choose Barrier in Hero Designer and look under Limitations, you will see "Nonresistant Defenses" as an option. That's because it is already Resistant by default.

Or you could read the rulebook and learn the same thing. Barrier doesn't need to be made Resistant because it's already Resistant.

The way to create what you're probably looking for is Barrier.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the word of the days is "Superfluous"

the sticking point here is being able to protect other people with the force field. barrier is area of effect by default' date=' but it isnt resistant, and that's the particular quality i was interested in.[/quote']

Buy the 10pt adder "Protect Carried Items". to make Resistant Protection work with people you are holding.

Also you are wrong, Barrier is also Resistant by Default. Just like 5e's Forcewall was Resistant.

PS Hero Designer is a Wonderful program that helps make completely legal characters. It's also great for finding stuff about powers. ie I looked under Barrier and then checked "Unavailable Advantages" tab after clicking Modifiers. Found that the Resistant Advantage wasn't available. Therefore Barrier was Resistant, which is what I remember from playing for years.

this might work for you

It would create a 10m radius bubble that granted all with in protection

those inside may shoot out

Force field bubble,

Resistant protection 10pd/10 ED

Usable Simultaneously (all targets standing within 10 meters of Grantor; +1 )

Grantor can take back power at any time,(+1/4)

Recipient must remain close to Grantor(10m radius -1/2)

Perceivable Inobvious to obvious (-1/4)

Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

47 active 31 real pts

Have we thought about Useable By Others?

I see we have.

Carry on. Lovely.

There used to be this adder, or possibly advantage, for Force Field that let you protect things you carried. Perhaps, if you were playing in the past, you could stick AoE on that?

If you want to grant extra defenses to others directly (ie no body issues, just boost their defense) use the Resistant Protection rPD/ED, Useable Simultaenously

If you want to create a "field" that protects everyone inside of it until something penetrates that field, use Barrier

Wouldn't that require you to build it source by source? IE Suppress Blast, Suppress RKA, Suppress HKA, Suppress HA, and Suppress STR? That's at least +2 in Expanded Effect advantage (although I guess you could reduce it to +1/2 if you only wanted to affect ranged attacks) That's 30 AP for 3.5 average DEF (15 AP for 3.5 average DEF vs Ranged Only) or 9 (4) pts per DEF (on average). Barrier or RP UOO definitely WAY more cost effective.

Wouldn't that require you to build it source by source? IE Suppress Blast' date=' Suppress RKA, Suppress HKA, Suppress HA, and Suppress STR? That's at least +2 in Expanded Effect advantage (although I guess you could reduce it to +1/2 if you only wanted to affect ranged attacks) That's 30 AP for 3.5 average DEF (15 AP for 3.5 average DEF vs Ranged Only) or 9 (4) pts per DEF (on average). Barrier or RP UOO definitely WAY more cost effective.[/quote']

33pts Suppress 5d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Expanded Effect (x4 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (Blast, RKA, STR, HA; +1 1/2) (49 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2)

PS for this power HA is a limited version of either STR or Blast. So with the GM's permission one could go with x3 expanded effect. If the GM Ok's it.

Probably be easier to make it with Damage Negation:

45pts Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical, -3 DCs Energy), Usable By Other (+1/4), Grantor can take back power at any time, Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4) (45 Active Points)

your cost is way off there Tasha, Drain (what suppress is based off of) is 10 pts per d6, that would make 5d6 base cost 50, AP 162, RC 108. That's A LOT of points (of course that's also the equivalent of 18 pts of rPD/rED over 8m, which would also be very expensive UBO or UBN, something like 72 points RC so i guess the difference isn't THAT much).

Edit: of course when you consider that the Suppress version would ALSO suppress all the damage powers of the rest of the team, it gets even worse. I guess you could change Personal Immunity to AOE Selective to negate that issue tho. You do still have to take into account the effect of power defense (something a UBN or Barrier based version doesn't have to account for.)

your cost is way off there Tasha, Drain (what suppress is based off of) is 10 pts per d6, that would make 5d6 base cost 50, AP 162, RC 108. That's A LOT of points (of course that's also the equivalent of 18 pts of rPD/rED over 8m, which would also be very expensive UBO or UBN, something like 72 points RC so i guess the difference isn't THAT much).

Edit: of course when you consider that the Suppress version would ALSO suppress all the damage powers of the rest of the team, it gets even worse. I guess you could change Personal Immunity to AOE Selective to negate that issue tho. You do still have to take into account the effect of power defense (something a UBN or Barrier based version doesn't have to account for.)

Can't be off at all. That's a direct copy and paste from Hero Designer. It is a 6e writeup. Also it's based off of Dispel (which is a whoops by me sorry)

35Pts Drain Blast, Str, HA, KA, RKA 1 1/2d6, Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Expanded Effect (x5 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+2) (52 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2)

Really Damage Negation is the better power to use for this build.