Dnpc

Cassandra

Re: Dnpc

The problem I have with the "200 pt skill" Lois or Jimmy is that everything is relative. (Note that I am NOT talking about any random appearance that either of them put in where they actually had super powers' date=' that is a totally seperate case.) If you say that 200 pts is acceptable skill build for them, then a Normal powered superman is a complete idiot when it comes to skills. Yes, if you REALLY want to you can spend a near infinite amount of points on skills (or 150 to avoid exageration). But that effectively means that you are either charging that character for every single possible skill they could conceivably have (whether or not they might be relative to a game) or saying that they are SO incredibly skilled that they regularly outshine masters of those skills. And what exactly are these skills you are assigning them? A generic Lois (without a superhero identity, or a special build from a single comic continutity, etc.) would probably have a number of reporter based skills. Something like Criminology, Deduction, Shadowing, Bureaucratics, Charm, Conversation, High Society, Persuasion, Streetwise, Trading, PS: Reporter, and a number of KS's bought with Traveler and Contacts bought with Well Connected. Easily around 50 or so points, maybe slightly more. To reach 150 would require more than doubling that amount. And sure, you could do that. But Clark Kent is also a reporter, and either you are saying that he doesn't have to pay for those skills to have them, or that he is a pathetic, worthless reporter compared to the international superstar that Lois is. Basically since they are actually generally perceived to be partners, their reporter skills are generally about the same (giving the nod to Lois for slightly better) so either both characters would have to pay for them all (if they are relative to the game) or you are merely bloating Lois's sheet by adding them on.[/quote']

True...but to some extent Clark "cheats" he uses super senses not dedutive reason...so he gets a lot of "skill equivilents" from his super powers...

I like the breakdown, although I would personally switch Mary Jane and Lois. It is probably due to my different exposure to the characters than many posters have here. (I have not read many of the comics due to financial issues, mostly my exposure has been on the various cartoons, movies, TV shows etc.)

Lois seems to have a real flair and knack for getting herself into trouble, but I can only recall a very limited number of occasions where she contributed to her own rescue in any meaningful way.

Mary Jane on the other hand (at least in the contexts in which I have seen her) tends to be quite a handful, frequently attacking her abductor and causing all sorts of mischief during her captivity. I remember one episode of the cartoon where the villain was actually GLAD when Spidey showed up and rescued her.

Of course part of that could be the relative power level of the abductees. Spidey has a much lower power level of a Rogue's Gallery than Supes does, so that may contribute to this as well.

In many cases' date=' it's Lois or Jimmy who will solve a mystery that Superman has to clean up. They're fair detectives in their own right.[/quote']

Sure. Which makes them Normals with Useful Noncombat Skills. ;)

Tho I suppose it depends on the game. If your campaign spends a lot of time focused on solving mysteries, then a DNPC who is good at that should probably rate higher more useful. But in a combat-heavy game, well that's what the Useful Noncombat Skills adder is for.

I've sometimes seen players who had extremely useful DNPCs also take them as Contacts; makes it easier to balance out "time they spend helping me" vs. "time I spend rescuing them."

Mary Jane on the other hand (at least in the contexts in which I have seen her) tends to be quite a handful' date=' frequently attacking her abductor and causing all sorts of mischief during her captivity. I remember one episode of the cartoon where the villain was actually GLAD when Spidey showed up and rescued her.[/quote']

Yeah, you know how those Marvel Redheads are! But at the end of the day, Spidey still has to rescue her. So in game terms, I'd call that more a roleplaying point of a well-developed character than a reflection of her Usefulness. YMMV.

Mary Jane on the other hand (at least in the contexts in which I have seen her) tends to be quite a handful, frequently attacking her abductor and causing all sorts of mischief during her captivity. I remember one episode of the cartoon where the villain was actually GLAD when Spidey showed up and rescued her.

what episode was that?

I'm working on my templates for both Heroes and DNPC. I find I can built any hero, and I do have a few rules. No limitations that shut down powers completely except Focus or OIHID.

My DNPC will be versions of the Heroes, but less SPD.

Without chairacters like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olson, the hero would not have anyone to rescue. There wouldnt be much Motivation there. Being a superheros friend has its drawbacks but just think if you ever were in peril you know your super buddy will be there to save you just in the nick of time.