Dnpc

Cassandra

Dependent Non-Player Characters are a staple of both Champions, and Comic Books in general. They exist to get into trouble. Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Lana Lang, Steve Trevor, Sharon Carter, Iris West, Jean Loring, and so forth have faced peril only to have their lives saved by their favorite superhero or heroine.

Sometimes the DNPC will have to be saved from themselves when they accidentally gain superhuman powers (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Olsen!).

Indeed, some become so powerful they become hero level characters, or even villains (Carol Ferris is calling, Green Lantern).

So, how powerful are DNPC in a game?

Slightly Less Powerful in a 250 Points standard game would have the DNPC at between 150 to 200 Points. Examples of Characters at this will would be Sif (Thor), Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman), Sharon Carter (Captain America), or Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen (Superman). There characteristics would be just short of the olympic level athletes we come to expect superheroes to be, and their powers would for the most part have a No Conscious Control limitation. They have powers, but they can't just turn them on. There would be exceptions. Sif, being an Asgardian warrior woman would retain her super strength and fighting skills. She would also have to face Loki more often. All would have some combat skills as well, but nothing that would allow them to face most super villains.

Useful Normals would range between 100 to 50 Points. These would be Alfred Pennyworth and Jim Gordon (Batman), Happy Hogan, Petter Potts, and Edwin Jarvis (Iron Man), and Etta Candy (Wonder Woman). These character would have some defenses and combat ability, but most of their usefulness would be behind the scenes skills like helping manage the superhero's business interests. Some would know who the hero really is, and some would not, but know them socially.

There are NPC who come up because of one's Secret Identity. Vicki Vale and Lucius Fox are more part of Bruce Wayne's world them Batman's, and Perry Mason doesn't get into trouble as much as put Lois and Jimmy into it. They too would be useful normal level characters, but the hero would have to make sure that he doesn't blow their cover.

Any thoughts?

Re: Dnpc

Jimmy and Lois have both starred in their own books. Jimmy in particular has functioned as a sidekick level super in his own right. That's not counting the occasions when they've gained powers.

In many cases, it's Lois or Jimmy who will solve a mystery that Superman has to clean up. They're fair detectives in their own right.

Building Superman on 250 points is, of course, idiotic. Building Jimmy and Lois on 250 is much more plausible.

There are NPC who come up because of one's Secret Identity. Vicki Vale and Lucius Fox are more part of Bruce Wayne's world them Batman's, and Perry Mason doesn't get into trouble as much as put Lois and Jimmy into it. They too would be useful normal level characters, but the hero would have to make sure that he doesn't blow their cover.

Any thoughts?

I think you mean Perry White. Or did I miss a classic legal drama/DC Universe crossover even? :)

I put in mind of Hawkeye against the Collector. The Collector was as concerned about Hawkeye as the rest of the Avengers because Hawkeye was weak. He wasn't as powerful as the rest of the Avengers, so Hawkeye never got collected. When the Collector pointed out his reasons, Hawkeye responded "That's only if you judge by raw power or skill. I may not have much in the way of raw power, but where it comes to raw skill I'm the best there is."

I always concider it huburis to create my own DNPC's. I alway thought that was the GM's territory. Mind you a "Less Powerful" DNPC might make a good Mentor/Motivator/Origin of Powers character. Who built that Powered Armor for your? Who transformed you into that Green Meanie? etc...

Another take on DNPC's are "NPC's who need saving?"

QM

When I've played I created the basics for the character: their relationship to the character, what job they might have, etc. I've always left the actual building of the character to the GM.

As a GM I would ask what the relationship was, what place the player might see their DNPC having, and then building the character myself.

Dependent Non-Player Characters are a staple of both Champions, and Comic Books in general. They exist to get into trouble. Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Lana Lang, Steve Trevor, Sharon Carter, Iris West, Jean Loring, and so forth have faced peril only to have their lives saved by their favorite superhero or heroine.

Sometimes the DNPC will have to be saved from themselves when they accidentally gain superhuman powers (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Olsen!).

Indeed, some become so powerful they become hero level characters, or even villains (Carol Ferris is calling, Green Lantern).

So, how powerful are DNPC in a game?

Slightly Less Powerful in a 250 Points standard game would have the DNPC at between 150 to 200 Points. Examples of Characters at this will would be Sif (Thor), Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman), Sharon Carter (Captain America), or Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen (Superman). There characteristics would be just short of the olympic level athletes we come to expect superheroes to be, and their powers would for the most part have a No Conscious Control limitation. They have powers, but they can't just turn them on. There would be exceptions. Sif, being an Asgardian warrior woman would retain her super strength and fighting skills. She would also have to face Loki more often. All would have some combat skills as well, but nothing that would allow them to face most super villains.

Useful Normals would range between 100 to 50 Points. These would be Alfred Pennyworth and Jim Gordon (Batman), Happy Hogan, Petter Potts, and Edwin Jarvis (Iron Man), and Etta Candy (Wonder Woman). These character would have some defenses and combat ability, but most of their usefulness would be behind the scenes skills like helping manage the superhero's business interests. Some would know who the hero really is, and some would not, but know them socially.

Any thoughts?

Minor nit pick powers activate Perry White? Isn't perry Mason a lawyer? A Super lawyer...but...

Yeah skills aint cheap...so 150 to 200 is just fine...if you don't like building a summon super buddy power how about good ole Luck?

The problem I have with the "200 pt skill" Lois or Jimmy is that everything is relative. (Note that I am NOT talking about any random appearance that either of them put in where they actually had super powers, that is a totally seperate case.) If you say that 200 pts is acceptable skill build for them, then a Normal powered superman is a complete idiot when it comes to skills. Yes, if you REALLY want to you can spend a near infinite amount of points on skills (or 150 to avoid exageration). But that effectively means that you are either charging that character for every single possible skill they could conceivably have (whether or not they might be relative to a game) or saying that they are SO incredibly skilled that they regularly outshine masters of those skills. And what exactly are these skills you are assigning them? A generic Lois (without a superhero identity, or a special build from a single comic continutity, etc.) would probably have a number of reporter based skills. Something like Criminology, Deduction, Shadowing, Bureaucratics, Charm, Conversation, High Society, Persuasion, Streetwise, Trading, PS: Reporter, and a number of KS's bought with Traveler and Contacts bought with Well Connected. Easily around 50 or so points, maybe slightly more. To reach 150 would require more than doubling that amount. And sure, you could do that. But Clark Kent is also a reporter, and either you are saying that he doesn't have to pay for those skills to have them, or that he is a pathetic, worthless reporter compared to the international superstar that Lois is. Basically since they are actually generally perceived to be partners, their reporter skills are generally about the same (giving the nod to Lois for slightly better) so either both characters would have to pay for them all (if they are relative to the game) or you are merely bloating Lois's sheet by adding them on.

150 is easy.

Say you have a 250 point hero. He might have spent 90 points on characteristics, 35 on skills and 125 on powers.

A high-end DNPC for that character could easily have up to 90 points worth of characteristics, 35 or more worth of skills, and up to, say 40 points worth of things like Combat Luck, Martial Arts and Luck. That's more than enough ability for them to get into trouble, but not necessarily be able to get out of it.

200 is a bit trickier and is probably more suitable for a higher point hero, but doable. This is probably when you really slather on the Perks.

200 points is fine for a Steve Trevor type of character - he's a capable adventurer in his own right. It's a little questionable for Lois, but she is often portrayed as having worked at the Daily Planet longer than Clark - she could easily have contacts and knowledge skills he doesn't yet.

When I think of what DNPCs look like for comic book heroes (and, by extension, the way I explain them to my groups), I break them down like this:

Incompetent: Aunt May, Ma Kent, Johnny Storm's Current Fling, Alicia Masters

Normal: Alfred, Mary Jane Watson, Leslie Thompkins, Jimmy Olsen, Etta Candy, Jane Foster, Pepper Potts, Happy Hogan, Iris West/Allen, Deborah Grayson

Slightly Less Powerful: Bucky (WWII), Sharon Carter, Lois Lane, Commissioner Gordon, Steve Trevor, Wyatt Wingfoot, James Rhodes (pre-War Machine)

As Powerful: Barbara Gordon/Oracle, Nemesis (Thomas Andrew Tresser), Diamondback

>>> Normal: Alfred

YMMV wildly. Skills cost a lot in Hero, and Alfred has a lot of them.

This is true, Egytoid. I almost placed Alfred in the Slightly Less Powerful bracket, however, his role is usually in the background. In the past, he has stood in for Bruce as Batman, though it was rarely for anything more than show. That's not saying he's not capable, but I also think it depends on the writer. Really, I've seen him gravitate from Incompetent to Slightly Less Powerful over the years.

But that's a great break down, Sketchpad.

I use templates to create Superheroes/Villains of various types. I've created a few DNPC Templates as well.

Normal

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 0 Points

This is the random innocent who is completely defenseless. They would possess only everyman skills, and has no offensive capabilities without a weapon, and even then would have a hard time hitting any superhero or villain. This Normal can me male or female.

Skilled Normal

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

10 DEX 0

10 CON 0

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

14 COM 2

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

20 END 0

20 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 10 Points

Cost Skills

6 Combat Luck +3 rPD +3 rED

9 Three 3 Point Skills

Total Skills Cost: 15 Points

25 Points in additional skills or powers/equipment

Total Cost: 50 Points

This is the skilled normal. Examples are Lucius Fox (Batman), Edwin Jarvis (Iron Man), Jane Foster (Thor), and Jean Loring (Silver Age Atom). They have minimal defenses and some useful non-combat skills. They still require saying by their favorite superhero or heroine. They can be either male or female.

Competent Normal

Male Char Female

15 STR 10

14 DEX 18

15 CON 13

12 BODY 11

13 INT 13

10 EGO 11

15 PRE 15

16 COM 16

5 PD 4

3 ED 4

3 SPD 3

6 REC 5

30 END 26

28 STUN 23

Total Characteristics Cost: 50 Points

Cost Skills

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

5 Offensive Strike

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

25 more points in skills and powers/equipment

Total Cost: 100 Points

This is the Competent Normal. The characteristics on the left are the male version, and on the right are the female version. Examples are Betty Ross (Captain America), Mary Jane Watson (Spider-Man), Lindsay McCabe (Spider-Woman), Betty Prentice (Sub-Mariner), Alfred Pennyworth (Batman), and Etta Candy (Wonder Woman). They have some offensive combat skills, and can survive a 10d6 attack (not that they'd be able to take more then one though).

Slightly Less Powerful

Male Char Female

20 STR 15

14 DEX 18

18 CON 15

11 BODY 10

13 INT 13

10 EGO 11

15 PRE 15

16 COM 18

8 PD 7

6 ED 7

4 SPD 4

8 REC 6

36 END 30

31 STUN 27

Total Characteristics Cost: 75 Points

Cost Skills

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

5 Offensive Strike

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

50 Points of additional skills and powers/equipment

Total Cost: 150 Points

Examples are Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman), Shannon Carter (Captain America), Ex-Blonde Phantom Louise Grant Mason (She Hulk), James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes (Ultimate Captain Marvel), Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen (Superman), Lena Thorul (Supergirl), Matt Cable (Power Girl), Michael Rossi (Ms. Marvel)