Flight while sleeping?

Ragitsu

Re: Flight while sleeping?

I'd be tempted to simply hand wave it. What would be the game effect? I assume the character can fly already, so I might not require anything. What's the positive benefits?

Perhaps it's a complication (secret ID worries, he's a helpless target floating around the neighborhood, has to find his way home...) I'd say physical complication 5pts worth of impairment on the likelihood of your choosing.

You might also want a limited danger sense set to wake the character up should an emergency arise or give the flight power limited intelligence as some sort of automatic pilot.

Excellent point :).

---

What's the positive benefits?

More choices of places to sleep at. There's also the benefit of travel being conducted while at rest (if the version of Sleeping Flight allows one to fly on a planned course).

Perhaps it's a complication (secret ID worries' date=' he's a helpless target floating around the neighborhood, has to find his way home...) I'd say physical complication 5pts worth of impairment on the likelihood of your choosing.[/quote']

It's a voluntary additional use of Flight, not something out of the being's control.

Excellent point :).

---

More choices of places to sleep at. There's also the benefit of travel being conducted while at rest (if the version of Sleeping Flight allows one to fly on a planned course).

It's a voluntary additional use of Flight, not something out of the being's control.

Ah....then does it work when he's unconscious?

Clark woke up in the middle of a highway and a in a cave.

That wouldn't be under his control though.

Ok so if this is a positive thing...it would have to be 0 END and he'd require some sort of detect/extra sense... to navigate. If it was hovering in place, no extra points/powers required.

There are several methods that come to mind: the PC hovers in place while asleep' date=' the PC flies in one direction while asleep (at a speed of their choosing), or the PC can set a route/flight plan (circle the stadium/continent/planet/etc) that is taken while asleep.[/quote']

The first would simply require the Flight to be 0 END and Persistant. The second would (technically) require a Computer, although it might be so inexpensive that handwaving it would be a viable option. The third would definitely require a Computer for an autopilot.

The first would simply require the Flight to be 0 END and Persistant. The second would (technically) require a Computer' date=' although it might be so inexpensive that handwaving it would be a viable option. The third would definitely require a Computer for an autopilot.[/quote']

Sounds good to me.

Without light sleeper talent (at the very least, Danger Sense bought persistent is a much better option as already pointed out) any of the "move" options of this could result in a painful wake-up (or no wake-up at all depending on velocity at the time of impact).

Could you buy a limited form of a sense that could be used while asleep? (Spatial awareness seems appropriate) And then possibly a custom advantage to flight that allows you to control it like this "subconciously"? I see how the computer option would work (computer as the subconscious) but it seems rather awkward to me, just brainstorming other ideas.

Some people sleepwalk. If you can fly, you can probably sleep fly. How to buy...well, that depends. If you want to be able to use it as an overnight sleeper to the other side of the world, I would buy LS: Extended sleep (or whatever it is called). In essence you are awake, but get the benefits of sleep.

If it is involuntary, all you need is flight and a complication.

The second would (technically) require a Computer' date=' although it might be so inexpensive that handwaving it would be a viable option. The third would definitely require a Computer for an autopilot.[/quote']

What if the character in question is not an electronic life form?

The first would simply require the Flight to be 0 END and Persistant. The second would (technically) require a Computer' date=' although it might be so inexpensive that handwaving it would be a viable option. The third would definitely require a Computer for an autopilot.[/quote']

I think you're being too literalist here. "Computer" in this case is not necessarily a mechanical device, but could be, for example, a subconscious urge, "keep flying toward destination" while the conscious mind catches 40 winks.

IRL, I have found myself sleep-driving often enough that I no longer drive. Longest that I know of was 30 miles without incident. And before anyone ask, none of my DWB stops involved sleep driving (that I know of).

I think you're being too literalist here. "Computer" in this case is not necessarily a mechanical device, but could be, for example, a subconscious urge, "keep flying toward destination" while the conscious mind catches 40 winks.

IRL, I have found myself sleep-driving often enough that I no longer drive. Longest that I know of was 30 miles without incident. And before anyone ask, none of my DWB stops involved sleep driving (that I know of).

I have certainly gotten home on any number of occasions with nor recollection of the journey. It is entirely possible that I am a better driver when my conscious mind is not interfering.

not sfx computer, follower style computer, it could be called his "subconscious navigation"

edit: oops...look at all the posts ahead of me saying the same thing...I'll wander over here and hush :)

I just remembered there is something similar to what you describe in the nature, especially Dolphins and Sharks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark#Sleep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin#Sleeping

Both species have to swim/watch for predators while sleeping.

About the "Does not requires sleep approach":

Seem an ideal solution and propably even worth a limitation (it only works when you actually have a sufficiently long time to flight, propably won't block NND's). You would have to limit your flightspeed to what your Rec can sustain, of course.

I only see one potential issue (just check with the GM beforehand): that this "time spend sleepflying" might not count as "rest". If you can only prepare spells after "resting for 8 hours" (like D&D) or your game uses the optional Long Term Endurance Rule (6E2 132) this "Sleepflight" might not count towards this "resting time" even if it counts as "sleep" (for sleep-deprivation, a seperate effect). You were asleep, but you were still "burning END" and actively maintained a Constant Power.

"Computer Autopilot":

Solves multiple problems at once (it can navigate, could hold an action to react/wake you quickly).

It would require 0 END and Persistent on the flight or you would need an End-Reserve for the sleepflight (and then the flight might need "Power can draw from END-reserve or personal endurance") - as you would really sleep and thus be unable to use personal END or even sustain any non-persistent Powers.