The Ulronai Thread

Lucius

Re: The Ulronai Thread

I like and I can see a devious GM giving a phy lim:ant-array or phy lim: inversion of ninjitsu. The more Ulronai are together' date=' they suffer OCV and DCV penalties. Nothing too cruel but could keep you from having a whole bunch of Ulronai players together, or a reason why a Ulronai would side with other races.[/quote']

The canon mentions a mercenary group of about a dozen (if I recall) that are all Ulronai.

It's probably common knowledge that the Ulronai are accursed, but perhaps not what the curse is. For example, part of the curse is that they are not trusted, but that may be commonly understood as, they are not trustworthy. They are cursed to be held in contempt, but those who hold them in contempt believe they are cursed to be contemptible.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is cursed at one end

The canon mentions a mercenary group of about a dozen (if I recall) that are all Ulronai.

Yes, ten in all, the Ulronai Brotherhood which I mentioned previously. Not really that large a group, and by the nature of their work they wouldn't stay long in one place, so that doesn't weigh against making the effects of the curse cumulative if you want to. All things considered, I figured that would come up more as a plot device than a game mechanic on a character's sheet.

I suggest that the effects of the curse are cumulative. The more Ulronai gather in one place' date=' and/or the longer they remain there, the more powerful its negative influence becomes. Perhaps neighboring races are unconsciously prompted to drive off this "dangerous infestation;" or perhaps monsters are drawn to attack them, or their general luck grows worse.[/quote']

So, no different from regular adventurers, then? :)

cheers, Mark

It's probably common knowledge that the Ulronai are accursed, but perhaps not what the curse is. For example, part of the curse is that they are not trusted, but that may be commonly understood as, they are not trustworthy. They are cursed to be held in contempt, but those who hold them in contempt believe they are cursed to be contemptible.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is cursed at one end

Well then the 'curse' could be represented as a negative reputation? One plot hook/character motivation I think is that they are searching for a way to lift/break the Lord of the Graven Spear's curse. As mercenaries, they have a freedom to search the lands in this quest discretly. In singles and small numbers, the Ulronai can spread a much wider net in search of the lost gizmo than in a large force. And I'm sure that there are some people who wouldn't want a united Ulronai people either. To be more consprirital, the Ulronai has a spy network of non-ulronai and some puppets. This could be a reason why the local king decides to hire a group of adventurers and just by coincidence, an Ulronai is close by and able to help. And for good ole drama, the adventures have to get a gizmo which the Ulronai want and now the Ulronai player has to decide if she puts her people before her friends.

• 10 months later...

Well, it's like this...

The group detected and responded against an Ulronai assassin who came in the night. As assassin who came with the same sort of kusurigama like weapon that Feren uses, a weapon used only by Ulronai and by few enough even among the Ulronai. He was brought down by a thrown spear that struck the back of the head and did enough damage to count as disabling.

Breanna, the shaman, felt compelled to treat the assassin's wounds when they realized he was still alive, but refused to use magical healing. So now they have a brain damaged assassin.

When Feren picked up the Tarrumulro ("Chain-sword") she received an extraordinary shock: This had been her father's weapon, and his spirit was still bound to it. Her father had never even known of her existence (he vanished before she was born) but was joyful to find her at last. He had been bound against his will and forced to serve as a weapon for the assassin - his son (Feren's half brother,) who had been raised among a group of evil and corrupt Ulronai who served Kal-Turak. Not being a shaman or medium, Feren cannot communicate clearly with the spirit, but the connection of kinship is enough to get some things across - including the name of the Ulronai assassin, Sarand.

Sarand is now weak and clumsy on one side of the body, seems not to understand speech and does not speak, and in many ways has regressed to an infantile state. He had been an evil man, in service to a great evil, and had come to kill - but mentally at least, he is now a clean slate.

Then I got my inspiration. No one knows yet, but on the spearscar on Sarand's head, the hair is growing in blood red.

Kal-Turak had been so disappointed that, despite the prophecy, this particular Ulronai child had not been the Bloodlock. He had hoped to control that individual from birth and thus eventually bring all the Ulronai people under his own command. Oh well, perhaps the boy will make a useful assassin....

So, I don't know HOW any of my players are going to react.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says only one of them ever started an account here and none of them seem to have been on the Hero boards for a long time now

Something that might be an interesting side effect of the Ulronai's curse might be a form of "Conservation of Ulronai" going on. The less of them you have in one place, the more capable in combat they are. Solitary Ulronai are fearsome, two or three together are scary, but get more of them together, they seem to diminish in fighting strength to being no better than other warriors of their experience.

• 4 weeks later...