[4E] Worst Disad

SmokestackJones

I recently came back from a few days in the Arbuckle Recreational Area in Sulphur, OK (beautiful forest area) with my wife and my two grandsons. The older one (8) played a bit of D&D with me back home but now his mom has forbid him to play (she thinks he'll get teased at school and grow up as a geek - but I digress). SO, he wanted to learn/play supers and I hauled out my ol' BBB for some character creation.

He came up with a pretty good concept (Lightning Rod - lightning powers) and came in at around 225 points. When I went over the disads, he liked the idea of Accidental Change so I asked him what causes your hero to change into his super persona.

He told me "He changes when he cracks his knuckles."

It was late, I was tired and I still wanted to run him through a quick battle scenario do I said "sure." :nonp:

He'll find out the hard way about that one. :eg:

Anyone else? What's the worst/most ridiculous disad you've let pass or seen let pass in a game?

-SJ

Re: [4E] Worst Disad

My personal favorite, from back in my college days, was someone who made a character with Accidental Change: into a bird (falcon, eagle, hawk?) when captured. Now, it bears noting that the character had no shapeshifting power whatsoever; no Shapeshift, no Multiform, not even Hero ID, though he did have foci*. So, being something of a jerk at the time (rather than just saying 'no'), I 'interpreted' the Disad as turning him into a completely normal bird, including mentally, when activated. So, basically, he'd just start flying around until he was not-captured, then take off for the wild blue yonder.

And then turn back to human.

Did I mention he couldn't fly, either?

*The character was actually *all* foci. All of his stats above 10, every power, and every skill bought through a focus ... a DIFFERENT focus. Dude had bling before the word was invented.

Not a Champions character--unless someone wrote him up and I missed it--but Surge Of Power had a whole set of nifty powers, including energy blasts, energy sense--and if I remember correctly, limited levitation. Thing is, they were all negated whenever he heard dance music.

That's right--Dance. Music. :nonp:

I suppose it could be something psychosomatic, like the Martian Manhunter's aversion to fire. Even so, it just comes off like something stupid that was chosen completely at random. It did fit in with the theme of the movie, which was described as "Low Budget Meets High Camp"--but it was still enough to make me cringe a bit.

My personal favorite, from back in my college days, was someone who made a character with Accidental Change: into a bird (falcon, eagle, hawk?) when captured. Now, it bears noting that the character had no shapeshifting power whatsoever; no Shapeshift, no Multiform, not even Hero ID, though he did have foci*. So, being something of a jerk at the time (rather than just saying 'no'), I 'interpreted' the Disad as turning him into a completely normal bird, including mentally, when activated. So, basically, he'd just start flying around until he was not-captured, then take off for the wild blue yonder.

And then turn back to human.

Did I mention he couldn't fly, either?

*The character was actually *all* foci. All of his stats above 10, every power, and every skill bought through a focus ... a DIFFERENT focus. Dude had bling before the word was invented.

Now THAT's funny! :rofl:

Better than what I would come up with - I'd just have him THINK he turned into a bird - imagine Sooper-Dooper Guy in a net, hopping around and flapping his arms a la Squeezit Henderson.

Henchman 1: Hey, what's with the nut in the net?

Henchman 2: Beats me. Maybe he'll lay an egg.

-SJ

• 2 weeks later...