Law and the Multiverse

Zane_Marlowe

Re: Law and the Multiverse

Kind of interesting, but it seems that it would to discuss legal ramifications without bringing moral and political ramifications. Consider the original argument on whether Fury disobeying direct orders to blow up New York was legal.

As far as I understand it, his refusal to follow orders during a time of war was illegal, but it was moral; so, what remains is political expediency which depended upon success of the Avengers to win the war. Since the Avengers won, it would be politically inexpedient to explore prosecution since not only would they have to confess to their own existence, they would also have to confess to their choice.

If the invaders were completely successful, the argument would be moot, but if the Avengers lost, but the invaders were eventually beaten by other super-heroes after significantly greater losses, the political expedience of charging Fury would still be in question since political forces would probably be divided between the expedient and the moral with the expedient thinking the sacrifice of New York being acceptable under the circumstances while the moral excepting no excuse for killing ones own.

Kind of interesting, but it seems that it would to discuss legal ramifications without bringing moral and political ramifications. Consider the original argument on whether Fury disobeying direct orders to blow up New York was legal.

As far as I understand it, his refusal to follow orders during a time of war was illegal, but it was moral; so, what remains is political expediency which depended upon success of the Avengers to win the war. Since the Avengers won, it would be politically inexpedient to explore prosecution since not only would they have to confess to their own existence, they would also have to confess to their choice.

If the invaders were completely successful, the argument would be moot, but if the Avengers lost, but the invaders were eventually beaten by other super-heroes after significantly greater losses, the political expedience of charging Fury would still be in question since political forces would probably be divided between the expedient and the moral with the expedient thinking the sacrifice of New York being acceptable under the circumstances while the moral excepting no excuse for killing ones own.

As you say its complicated...it may be that it was "Legal" for Fury to disobey what he viewed as an "Unlawful" order. But he was relieved of command, in non-comicbook land, that does not turn back afterwards. There would have to be a new Director from that point on. Re-instatement (almost impossable in real life) would be a political act. One he endangered the Earth, Two it was saved by a program he proposed and championed.....

Was he relieved or did the Council just try an end-around by getting two pilots with the "we gave an order. get in the air and nuke it."?

Dunno, but usually when you tell the Boss "FU! Sir!" its time to polish up your resume... ;) (I thought they said he was relieved of command, but I've only seen it once....)

I'm not sure it was clear.

I could be wrong, but I think the pilots were told that Fury had been removed. Whether that was true might be up for debate.

Either way, it doesn't seem that either side in this wants things imagined too closely.

I'm not sure it was clear.

I could be wrong, but I think the pilots were told that Fury had been removed. Whether that was true might be up for debate.

Either way, it doesn't seem that either side in this wants things imagined too closely.

As I said reinstatement is a "Political" act...and sweeping things under the carpet is Very political act... ;)