Psychic Shock

I have a player who wants to create time/space continuum manipulator, and he has in mind a power that opens a window into a random alternate dimension that is so far away from regular reality that it temporarily affects the viewer's capacity to react to the real world. I decided that this is best described as a psychic shock that acts as a flash against sight and hearing groups defended with DMCV to reflect that his mind is so confused that he is unable to pay attention to the world around him.

I figure that since everyone automatically starts with some DCMV, shifting the defense to DCMV it would be a limitation and though upping DCMV is more expensive expensive than buy flash, there is nothing to say that Flash Defense could be bought in the form of Psychic Stability or something; so, I am think it should require a hefty limitation bonus, but I am not sure what hefty is. Would that be worth -1/2, -1, -1 1/2,...Any suggestions?

I have also considered giving it a cone area of affect indicating that could affect anyone who is in position to see it, but that it was enough to figure out.

Re: Psychic Shock

I have a player who wants to create time/space continuum manipulator' date=' and he has in mind a power that opens a window into a random alternate dimension that is so far away from regular reality that it temporarily affects the viewer's capacity to react to the real world.[/quote']

So it is something like "mesmerizing with light patterns"?

Propably one Command Mind Controll (look at me). Grade of success determines how hard the DCV/actions are affected.

Or is it a "I show you something so unlikely, you loose your sanity for a moment"?

Sounds more like an NND.

Or is this mostly like a Flash?

Then just switch Flash Defense for Mental Defense (a -0), with the usual total defense of "looking away"/"having your eyes closed".

I decided that this is best described as a psychic shock that acts as a flash against sight and hearing groups defended with DMCV to reflect that his mind is so confused that he is unable to pay attention to the world around him.

I figure that since everyone automatically starts with some DCMV, shifting the defense to DCMV it would be a limitation and though upping DCMV is more expensive expensive than buy flash, there is nothing to say that Flash Defense could be bought in the form of Psychic Stability or something; so, I am think it should require a hefty limitation bonus, but I am not sure what hefty is. Would that be worth -1/2, -1, -1 1/2,...Any suggestions?

Tricky one, but per AVAD rules it would be a +1/2 (one or two steps down from Uncommon to Rare). While everyone starts with some (so NND is a very bad idea), almost nobody buys it up. Nobody expects the need to buy it up to defend himself.

All those sounds better than my idea, but what I was going with was that someone was seeing something that was either so horrific or awesome they were unable to pay attention to anything else. Kind of like walking along seeing an attractive woman and almost walking into a sign post or someone so intent on watching TV they don't hear a word being said.

All those sounds better than my idea' date=' but what I was going with was that someone was seeing something that was either so horrific or awesome they were unable to pay attention to anything else. Kind of like walking along seeing an attractive woman and almost walking into a sign post or someone so intent on watching TV they don't hear a word being said.[/quote']

That's a perfect Mental Entangle, really. You don't do much of anything besides stand there and try to pull your brain back together.

All those sounds better than my idea' date=' but what I was going with was that someone was seeing something that was either so horrific or awesome they were unable to pay attention to anything else. Kind of like walking along seeing an attractive woman and almost walking into a sign post or someone so intent on watching TV they don't hear a word being said.[/quote']

Then the two questions are:

What can protect you from beign affected? (aside from not looking in that direction)

And what character atribute helps you to snap out of it?

If you don't have an answer to those two, you won't be able to built it. In your mind it would always be an effect without defense, wich is impossible to do in Hero.