Well this just sucks. (Commercial rocket aborts on launch.)

Guest dr. strangelove

Re: Well this just sucks. (Commercial rocket aborts on launch.)

I don't find this terribly surprising on a vehicle with nine first-stage engines. The odds of having some kind of problem goes up with every additional engine. IMHO, having a few large engines is preferable to many smaller ones.

The Russians would disagree; they routinely launch vehicles with 20-engine first stages.

172940848.jpg

And the next Space-X vehicle will be the Falcon Heavy, with 27 engines.

spacex-falcon-heavy-0411-md.jpg

Rocket science ain't easy.

Guest dr. strangelove

Still it sucks to get that close and then get hammered. Big disappointment.

You know something, I always wonder why ICMBs with solid fuel systems can reach near space and hit anywhere on the planet but they need liquid fuel rockets to reach orbit. The liquid fueled rockets are much more complex, prone to glitches, etc. A sub can carry a dozen or more solid fueled rockets for months and launch at a moment's notice, and they usually work.

A solid fuel orbital capable rocket would be a good breakthru, there must be a reason it isn;t being done, anyone know it?

You know something, I always wonder why ICMBs with solid fuel systems can reach near space and hit anywhere on the planet but they need liquid fuel rockets to reach orbit. The liquid fueled rockets are much more complex, prone to glitches, etc. A sub can carry a dozen or more solid fueled rockets for months and launch at a moment's notice, and they usually work.

A solid fuel orbital capable rocket would be a good breakthru, there must be a reason it isn;t being done, anyone know it?

Because the Solid Fuel ICBM does not needs to reach escape velocity or even orbital velocity. Anything more than a half-orbit is a waste of energy.

Also my guess is that solid Fuel Rocktes are more expensive, but to asure "mutual destruction" they were worth the cost.

Solid boosters are mainly useful as first stages because they are impossible to throttle or shut off. That's fine for stuff that's coming right back down, but efficiencies are such that maximizing orbital payload requires at least two stages. Furthermore I speculate that SRBs may not have the thrust-to-weight that liquid fueled rockets do.

I don't find this terribly surprising on a vehicle with nine first-stage engines. The odds of having some kind of problem goes up with every additional engine. IMHO, having a few large engines is preferable to many smaller ones.

The Russians would disagree; they routinely launch vehicles with 20-engine first stages.

I respectfully disagree (but then, I do live close to Russia).

The SpaceX many engine philosophy saved them significant development costs (one engine for the Falcon 1, Falcon 4, the Falcon 9 and the Falcon Heavy rather than 3-4). Additionally, mass production cuts costs and increases reliability (through shear production experience). Additionally, they only need all the engines working for about ten seconds, and can reach orbit with seven engines.

Solid rocket motors (mainly missiles) are designed for compactness, simplicity (less to go wrong), and shelf-stability. High specific impulse is not a priority for missiles, but is very important for maximizing the mass delivered to orbit. Hence the use of liquid propellant rockets. Though I hear that a LOX-parafin wax hybrid has about the Isp of a LOX-kerosene liquid engine.

Guest dr. strangelove

Apparently James Doohan's ashes were on that launch. Godspeed' date=' Scotty.[/quote']

Aye, laddie, ye finally made it into the black.

Okay, I confess I didn't realize the true significance of this launch. I had thought that SpaceX was basically just replicating dumb-rocket orbital launch. But apparently they're doing it nearly an order of magnitude more cheaply--and are going to going to go even cheaper if they ultimately succeed in bringing the first stage back under power. Very, very interesting.

Why read, when you can watch:

Because I can't watch? Sorry, I'm having trouble getting the link to work.

Edited to add: Oh! That's weird. It didn't work in the first post, but it works inside the quote box in this post. Okay... I have no idea what's up with that, but I can watch it now so thanx heaps.

....in the opening of the capsule video.... what are they doing???? And why are they wearing masks? At first I thought maybe it was to reduce the risk of germ contamination from Earth (after all, they've been stuck up in space with a very limited supply of them).... but that didn't seem to make much sense on second thought because they still have to interact with everything in the capsule, so the germs (if there are any) are coming into the station anyway.