Immunity to Drains

Re: Immunity to Drains

This is the issue I'm dealing with. This will be for publication and I'd rather not create custom rules if it can be avoided.

Well, I did post the idea of 20-30 points of Power Defense with a "Characteristics Only" Limitation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading through this thread and despite the anti-matter conversation ( :) )' date=' I've realised this is one of those situations where I got tunnel vision.[/quote']

While I enjoyed the antimatter conversation, I think you are right. Often a problem in defining a solution arises due to a poorly defined problem in the first place.

I think Susano has the rights of it. You now seem to have a pretty clear idea of what you want which should make the answer easier.

Doc

You are looking for something different. We don't have any idea of the reasoning except you want a NPC that requires normal damage to attack it. Have you thought of a nasty power triggered by drains? It is not immunity but it would definitely stop drains being used like a Mutually Assured Destruction. Drains could activate a nasty transform that would suck souls to other dimensions or a killer backlash.

I heavily caution about changing rules and the way things work. I had a very high mental defense and someone used an entangle based on ECV. My mental defense was considered null and void by the GM even though a psychic net over the outside of my brain would be additional armour and would never interfere with the established nerve connections. It is like using a net to stop a pipeline by wrapping the outside with it. Hard feelings were created and showed me that the GM had a bias to specific gamers, therefore I lost my loyalty to the group and game.

Well, if Drains largely need to conform to some kind of SFX, then blanket immunity to Drain makes no sense. On the other hand if we are largely ignoring any need to make sense in an SFX context then there isn't any reason not to have Drain Immunity be a thing some how. Power Defense bought up high enough seems to be the best shot in my book, maybe with some kind of custom Advantage to let it continue to work on AVADs.

Personally I feel absolutes aren't really something to be feared; ultimately they are just a tool. Assuming every situation involving an absolute will devolve into a unblockable sword vs unbreakable shield situation seems a bit paranoid. After all, we do have powers that work on an absolute basis like Desolidification and Life Support. Fearfully running from them doesn't seem to be doing any services to us any more than blindly embracing them.

You are looking for something different. We don't have any idea of the reasoning except you want a NPC that requires normal damage to attack it. Have you thought of a nasty power triggered by drains? It is not immunity but it would definitely stop drains being used like a Mutually Assured Destruction. Drains could activate a nasty transform that would suck souls to other dimensions or a killer backlash.

He wants to have less bookkeeping, not more.

Aslo, regarding the "what is the SFX" discussion I have finally found a simple, undoubtfull Special Effect for "Immunity to Drains".

"The Universe does not gives me the detail level to store this information."

Minions simply don't have a space where the Universe/GM could track Drain effects and Fade Rate.