Projection and Possession

Guest random

Question

Guest random

6E APG describes the Merging variant for Desolidification is often bought linked to Possession -- as a kind of "bodyjacking" power, so the Projected Self "takes over" the host body while merged with it.

As far as I can tell from the relevant sections of APG, there is nothing in Possession (or Projection, or Merging) that contradicts the standard rule that any power bought to affect a solid person while Desolidified must be bought with Affects Physical World. So the canonical way to build this would be:

(a) Desolidification, Projection (+0), Merging (+0)

(B) Possession, Affects Physical World (+2), Linked to Desolidification (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

...possibly with other Advantages and Limitations, of course.

My question is: am I reading that right? In order for a character with linked Duplication and Possession would need to buy the Possession with APW? Or did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Re: Projection and Possession

Under a strict technical reading of the rules you’re correct that Affects Physical World (+2) would be required for Possession that’s used while Projecting. However, if you look at published examples — the Bodyjacking power from CP 228 or the Ghost from the HSB, to name two — you’ll see that this is never done. Those powers are already so restricted, and so expensive, that adding APW would just add insult to injury, not to mention contradicting general dramatic sense. So while a GM is certainly free to stick to the strict letter of the Desolidification rules, I don’t think it’ll hurt anything in most campaigns if he doesn’t worry about it. ;)