Ben 10: Omniverse

Bloodstone

• 2 months later...

Re: Ben 10: Omniverse

Judging from the vid, I note a few interesting things...

--First off, we can see that he does retain all the previous aliens he's gained since in UF/UA. As if TerraSpin, Cannonbolt, Water Hazzard, and Humongosaur (look closely for this one) isn't obvious enough. I think that we can avoid most of the write-ups for them if we reffered to the previous ones for the time being.

--Secondly, 10-year Ben gains some of the forms that 17-year Ben will get before then. Feedback will be the first of his new forms for this series. I guess I'm sorta pleased that he won't be left stagnating during the "transition" between Ben 10 and UF in terms of getting new forms.

Still not quite sold on the new style, however--I think the nicely shaded/proportionate style (even with some minor changes, re: Ripjaws) that we've run through with so far seems to have become embedded as THE Ben 10 style for me.

ARGH! Lost post from IE crash and apparently autosave has failed me :(

Judging from the vid, I note a few interesting things...

--First off, we can see that he does retain all the previous aliens he's gained since in UF/UA. As if TerraSpin, Cannonbolt, Water Hazzard, and Humongosaur (look closely for this one) isn't obvious enough.

Mostly. His Ultimate forums were stated to not be in Omniverse, but everyone else should be reurning at some point :)

By now, I've seen redsigns for a ton of the old forms, as well as quite a few new aliens.

Chickenhawk is still unconfirmed (not even sure I heard it right) and I haven't seen pics of Crashhopper yet, so I can't specualte much more about him.

By contrast Ball Weevil is likely an Omniverse era alien based on his "costume". Since that feature is back on the dial, I'm presuming any new aliens with a predominantly green/black or green/white costumes will be Omniverse era, while Flashback aliens will probably still have a white/black theme. Several of the costume redesigns are very minor (Humungousaur, Spidermonkey) while others are signifigant (Fourarms, Jury Rigg).

Of course, many of the aliens still walk around in the buff, so costumes are no guarantee either way ;)

I'm torn on the new placement of the Omnitrix symbols. I like that the Flashback aliens retain the placement from the origional sries.

But I really liked the universal chest placement they introduced in AF. Ben adjusting the dial while in alien form has become an iconic gesture. New alien forms seem to be keeping it on the centerline, but it's just not quite the same if he has to reach down to his belt or up to the his forhead to fiddle with/smack the dial.

I think that we can avoid most of the write-ups for them if we reffered to the previous ones for the time being.

Yep, I'm going to focus on the new stuff but I want to update everything to the template format as time goes one. It shoudl make updates so much easier.

Plus none of the posted writups are as complete as I would like :( For example, I don't think I ever went back and added FTL to the AF write up of Jetray, even though it's been in his HD file for over a year now.

But I'm sure we'll be seeing old forms doing plenty of new things anyhow...

--Secondly, 10-year Ben gains some of the forms that 17-year Ben will get before then. Feedback will be the first of his new forms for this series. I guess I'm sorta pleased that he won't be left stagnating during the "transition" between Ben 10 and UF in terms of getting new forms.

I have to admit, I was surprised by the revelation that he was getting Feedback via Flashback. With the big goofy smile and the white/black theme I feel kinda silly for not at least considering that...

And last I heard, Ben's still 16 at the start of Omniverse.

Still not quite sold on the new style, however--I think the nicely shaded/proportionate style (even with some minor changes, re: Ripjaws) that we've run through with so far seems to have become embedded as THE Ben 10 style for me.

Overall, I'm okay with the style. It's not my preference, but I can totally deal with it.

As promised, the animation looks pretty smooth.

I'm sure I'll get used to it with time. I do like some of the new designs and characters, so that helps.

• 1 month later...

Getting some info trickeling in from SDCC and other sources

- Flashback Ben is 11, not 10

- the alien I thought was named Chicken Hawk is actually named Kickin Hawk

- there's a video online where you can make out Crashhopper and Kickin Hawk... the chicken-like alien villain with the elbow spikes that we've seen in previews seems to be of the same race.

- 16 year old Ben's aliens are supposed to have a white ring around their Omnitrix base, while Flashbacks have a gray ring. Lighting/shadows make this pretty hard to use as an indicator though. It's really only obvious when the alien in question already has white or gray in thier design.

- We've returned to having Ben's aliens voiced by several different actors, as opposed to the AF/UA style of having almost all of them be voiced by Dee Bradley Baker (except Alien X, Rath, Ghostfreak and Upgrade). I haven't seen it confirmed if we'll be getting the origional voice actors for Flashback aliens...

- Ben will not be going Ultimate, but we will see the Ultimates Aliens return in some capcity. Not sure if that's a reference to the six that were freed in Ultimate Sacrifice, if somone else will get their hands on the Ultimatrix (which was allegeldy destroyed by Azmuth of screen between series) or something else...

According to a Ben 10 Wiki I've found' date=' at least some of the original Omnitrix aliens will have different voice actors. David Kaye is listed as the VA for Omniverse Heatblast, replacing Steven Blum (original series) or Dee Baker (Ultimate Alien), f'rex.[/quote']

Yeah, Derrick Wyatt confirmed that a little while back, but I admit I was holding out hope that Steve Blum would still reprise his role as the voice of Heatblast during Flashback.

You know, since they brought back Terra Strong to voice 11 year old Ben I thought there might be a chance.

Not a big deal and I'm glad Dee's getting a little reprieve. I know he hated having to murder his voice doing Humongousaur, for example, so I'm sure he's glad to step aside and let John take that booming voices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New website has been live for a while now with a couple of very basic alien profiles,and has confirmed that "Gravattack is actually a small planet."

Blox will be the first new alien posted, hopefully this weekend. I'm sure he'll be a pain in the butt to keep a running power stunt tally on ;)