Falling damage: all the right angles?

Ragitsu

Re: Falling damage: all the right angles?

Well' date=' the title still is: "Falling damage: all the right angles?" And it was not about direclty hitting the ground, but hitting a slope.[/quote']

Falling down a surface/slope, actually, but I never originally intended to define the surface one stops at.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Nathan Drake is supposed to be an amazingly skilled climber, so he's got mad grip and upper body strength:

;)

Yeah, well, we can all do THAT...:whistle:

That is pretty nuts but I doubt that even he could catch himself one handed if he was falling at several metres per second. I could be wrong. It happens a lot.

Falling down a surface/slope' date=' actually, but I never originally intended to define the surface one [i']stops[/i] at.

If you hit a sloped surface after a vertical fall then you will be better off than if you hit a perpendicular surface, as you can split the velocity into different vectors based on the angle of the impact surface...or something.

If you hit a sloped surface after a vertical fall then you will be better off than if you hit a perpendicular surface' date=' as you can split the velocity into different vectors based on the angle of the impact surface...or something.[/quote']

Well, when you hit flat surface you are also making a vector change - if the surface is flat and hard that vector is at 180 degrees to your prior one, so you end up at rest, but the physics is the same. :)

I do know what you mean, though: as I noted above, when you hit a sloping surface you "ricochet". What happens in that case is that part of your momentum is ablated - but only part (otherwise, you'd have none left and stop moving). That's why falling and hitting a slope is far more survivable than falling and hitting a flat surface: in the latter case all your momentum is bled off in one instant in the form of deformation of your body. In the former it's bled off in a series of impacts. That's much more survivable.

Although - I can attest from personal experience - it's not necessarily pleasant.

cheers, Mark