MYTHIC HERO Kickstarter

Steve Long

Howdy Herophiles!

I'm proud to announce the launch of my first HERO System-based Kickstarter project: Mythic Hero!

You can go to Kickstarter and pledge your support here: Mythic Hero Kickstarter.

My goal is to raise $33,000 in pledges by April 2 to write, lay out, and publish the book. (You can visit my website [see link below] for a precise cost breakdown, if you're interested.) I'd really appreciate any support you can offer!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Kickstarter, here's how it works. Kickstarter is a form of "crowdfunding," in which people such as yourselves offer their financial support for a creative project to see it completed. You can pledge as much as you want, from $1 up to any amount. At certain pledge levels (such as $10, $25, and $50), there are special "rewards" you get for backing the project. For example, for the MH Kickstarter, pledging $25 gets you a PDF of the book and thanks in the credits, while pledging $75 gets you all that and a copy of the hardcopy printed book.

When you pledge to back a Kickstarter project, no money is taken from you unless the project reaches its full funding level. If it fails to reach its goal (in the case of MH, $33,000), then no money is taken from anyone and the project doesn't see the light of day.

To find out more about Mythic Hero. please visit the Mythic Hero page on my website.

Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: MYTHIC HERO Kickstarter

April 2? You should have made it April 17 or some such, so those of us expecting to get a tax refund can schedule it as thing to buy with the IRS "gift". I expect to be pledging when I get home though.

Yes, I know I should file early if I expect to get a refund; I'd like to introduce you to my little friend... procrastination. :P

Nev -- I extended the deadline to April 2 in part because I was thinking of people maybe using their tax refunds to fund their pledges. The maximum you're allowed is two months, though. To extend it to April 17 would have required me to wait another week or two, which I didn't want to. It would also bring the conclusion of the project too close to my trip to run a game for the BotE Kickstarter $2000 backer, and I definitely don't want to be out of town for an extended period right after the MH Kickstarter comes to a close. So I definitely grasp your logic, but I took it as far as I could. ;)

After watching the video on the Kickstarter page I'm a bit confused. I could have sworn that Steve had said he wasn't going to put stuff like how to play demigods and gods or how to make your own gods and pantheons into Mythic Hero, but on the video he said he was going to do just that. Ah well, my misconception and enough to push my pledge up from the cheap seats into "get a hard copy of the book" territory.

After watching the video on the Kickstarter page I'm a bit confused. I could have sworn that Steve had said he wasn't going to put stuff like how to play demigods and gods or how to make your own gods and pantheons into Mythic Hero, but on the video he said he was going to do just that. Ah well, my misconception and enough to push my pledge up from the cheap seats into "get a hard copy of the book" territory.

I believe what I said was that I'd discuss how to integrate gods into your game, and "mythic" style roleplaying in general. I'm not sure how far I'll be able to go with that, but it is a bit of an expansion over my initial conception of the book. Similarly, I hadn't planned to discuss "creating your own pantheons" at much length, but the idea of letting Kickstarter backers help me create gods was such a cool one that I couldn't resist adding that section. ;) Having BotE backers help me create Champions characters was such fun that I'm really looking forward to collaboratively creating an example pantheon... or hopefully two or three. ;)

;) Having BotE backers help me create Champions characters was such fun that I'm really looking forward to collaboratively creating an example pantheon... or hopefully two or three. ;)

I really went back and forth on whether to do one of the "help Steve create a god" levels, but ulimately didn't, as I really don't think I'd be able to come up with a good idea. I am pledging, though, since I really want this one!

I really went back and forth on whether to do one of the "help Steve create a god" levels, but ulimately didn't, as I really don't think I'd be able to come up with a good idea.

I totally disagree with this. I bet you could come up with a great idea! :thumbup:

I'd like to see the angels added (mentioned in the Demonology section). :angel:

I'd really like a significant amount of 'build your own' material added as well for god and pantheon building in a game world. Also, how to replicate divine powers in the hero system, building/playing/GMing gods as PCs, etc.

I'd really like a significant amount of 'build your own' material added as well for god and pantheon building in a game world. Also, how to replicate divine powers in the hero system, building/playing/GMing gods as PCs, etc.

That depends entirely on how you define "significant." I suspect what I have in mind won't live up to your preferences in this regard, but you never know. ;)

First, of course, the book has to get funded or it's all irrelevant anyhow. :doi:

Well, for example pantheons, assuming I get full backing I'll probably have to do at least two, maybe three, each with plenty of gods that I create with the help of the upper-tier backers. The discussion accompanying that isn't likely to fill huge amounts of page space, but it will probably require more than a single page. ;)

Typical divine abilities are already covered in Chapter One, "Gods In The Game." It covers things like your standard divine Power Pools, the shapechanging powers so common among gods, gods' defenses, and so on. Beyond what's provided there, you can easily look through character sheets from the real-world pantheons described in the game to cherry-pick abilities. ("Hmmm, I'm creating a storm god -- let's see what Thor, Shango, and Indra have for weather control powers.")

But of course, all this is academic if the project doesn't get funded -- so everyone please go join the fun over at the Mythic Hero Kickstarter page! :)