Wally West/The Flash

WW0

I was wondering if anyone with 6th edition rule books could make up a character sheet for what they would want their Flash to be like on 175 points. I'm going to be starting a Flash soon and I -really- don't want to mess it up so if anyone who knows what they are actually doing while making characters could take a little time and do this, thank you.

Re: Wally West/The Flash

Well it would be him just starting out so it doesn't need to be everything he could do, just a beginning package. Since it would be tough thats why I'm asking for someone experienced to help me out because as you could tell, would be really easy to mess this up since I don't have the books or anything like that.

Modelling the Flash, or any speedster for that matter, is going to be highly dependent on the campaign benchmarks of DEX and SPEED. The special effect "fastest man alive" demands clear communication between the player and the GM on what minimums the character needs for those 2 stats to still be the fastest among all the player characters & NPC's they will encounter in the game. If the rest of the PC's have an average DEX and SPEED of 15 & 3 then this character might be good with an 18 & 4. Combat Values need to be considered in the same way. The extra DEX could be modeled with the Lightning Reflexes Talent as well. Spending the minimum of points on those combat benchmarks (Initiative, CV and # of actions/Turn) will determine how much you will have left to spend on extra Running and any Speed-Trick powers for the character.

With all that... like others have already pointed out, 175 points is a really small amount to try and model such a character with. 350 is the smallest I've done using 5e rules and 400 is the smallest I've tried in 6e (see my JLA thread in my signature below for examples of both that are balanced to the other JLA members using the guidelines I mentioned above).

Bottom line is talk to your GM and try to get some copy of the rules. Hero System Basic Rules should be fine for this level of character points.

Happy Gaming :D

HM

I was wondering if anyone with 6th edition rule books could make up a character sheet for what they would want their Flash to be like on 175 points. I'm going to be starting a Flash soon and I -really- don't want to mess it up so if anyone who knows what they are actually doing while making characters could take a little time and do this' date=' thank you.[/quote']

Well it would be him just starting out so it doesn't need to be everything he could do' date=' just a beginning package. Since it would be tough thats why I'm asking for someone experienced to help me out because as you could tell, would be really easy to mess this up since I don't have the books or anything like that.[/quote']

Asuming that game follows standart Hero Level Guidelines: 175 is clearly in the Heroic Range of charcters. It's the lower bound of them. Basically 1st Level D&D characters. No chance to rebuild any superheroic ability on that level.

Low Powered Superhero starts at 300 and I Would not try to build a Kid Flash under that. I currently learn how to build 5E Characters on 250 Points, but that is closer to 300 points in 6E.

I think you GM either has some very different understanding of the game and applies very different rules about Powerlevels (some do Superheroic on even 100 points, but that crumps the "normal" area togehter) or you try to make a superheroic character for a Fantasy Game.

Yeah, Mark Waid's Wally West.... Right out of the comics, all the Waid limitations and what not, you can still burn up 400 points easy. 175 is what you use for a typical Fantasy front liner or a Pulp Adventurer (though I can think of more then a few Pulp Guys that could burn up more points then Barry Allen much less Wally West, heh)....

~Rex

So here is the impossible. A 175 point Wally West Flash, some minor liberties were taken (Membership Titans instead of a contact)

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]

23 DEX 6 14-

15 CON 5 12-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

11 EGO 1 11-

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

6 OCV 5

7 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 10 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

5 PD 3 5 PD (0 rPD)

5 ED 3 5 ED (0 rED)

5 REC 1

30 END 2

10 BODY 0

30 STUN 5

Movement Cost Meters Notes

RUNNING 1 30m/60m END [1]

SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]

LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward

FLIGHT 12m/24m

Characteristics Total: 47

Cost Powers

Superspeed, all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

16 1) +10 DEX (20 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

24 2) +3 SPD (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

8 3) +2 OCV (10 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

12 4) +3 DCV (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

5 5) Rapid ( x10) with Normal Sight and Normal Hearing (6 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0

20 Superspeed: Multipower, 25-point reserve, (25 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

2f 1) Running +17m (30m total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

2f 2) Flight 12m, MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1) (24 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2

1f 3) Change Environment (+1 Points of Telekinetic STR, +1 Wind Levels), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Varying Effect Broad Group (+1) (25 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2

Powers Total: 90

Cost Martial Arts

5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

5 Passing Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Disarm, 20 STR to Disarm; FMove

5 Passing Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 2d6 +v/10; FMove

Martial Arts Total: 15

Cost Skills

6 +2 with Mastery of Speed MA

2 +1 Passing Strike

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Speed Tricks 14-

3 Teamwork 14-

Skills Total: 17

Cost Perks

6 Fringe Benefit: Membership: JLE, Membership: New Titans

Perks Total: 6

Value Complications

15 Social Complication: Public ID Frequently, Major

10 Physical Complication: Needs Massive Calories (Frequently; Barely Impairing)

20 Psychological Complication: Must live up to Uncle Barry's Legend (Very Common; Strong)

5 Hunted: Rogue Gallery Infrequently (Less Pow; Harshly Punish)

Complications Points: 50

Base Points: 175

Experience: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 175

175 points, not that much to play around with... however if I had an actualy amount appropriate for a supers game: alot of combat luck, higher OCV/DCV, more skills, more MA, more Speed tricks, and probably some running outside of the MP

For a 175 point build, well built. For Wally West though, Leaves out a few things here and there (then again you didn't have the points to pay for it at 175). Sort of an odd character before the relaunch you could say other then Dick Grayson he was probably one of the most experienced Super Heroes in the DC Universe. That was pretty much his schtick. Very well built though.

~Rex

175 points just isn't enough, especially in 6e.

That said, stick 100 points into a multipower, and buy the minimum set of characteristics necessary to make him seem plausible. Use Lightning Reflexes instead of DEX, and so on. Skip skills.

That will give you something like an early version of the character.

Unfortunately, the post-Barry Allen version of Wally was a very experienced character who should have a whole bunch of skills. Having said that, I don't actually recall him using very many of them, so you might be able to skimp on them. I don't recall him ever having a day job - he was pretty much a professional superhero.

Technically, he was the lowest powered Flash ever during the immediate post-Barry era - only capable of reaching the speed of sound or thereabouts. In practice, of course, he was just as much the Flash as any other Flash - just with a lower level of hyperbole.

So, the highest level of SPD in your campaign, enough Lightning Reflexes to allow him to act before any other character, some basic skills, enough CON, BODY, defences and so on to prevent him from dying too fast, and a big Multipower would do the trick. Getting that into 175 would be tricky, but possible.

JmOz's version is pretty cool, too. Not my approach, but awesome.

Yeah but he went from the least powerful to Barry's equal. The current writers have a plan on the desk to bring Wally back, so it should be interesting in the Flash issues to come. More of a Barry Allen fan myself but I still think Wally got a raw deal in the re-launch.

~Rex

Raven has the type of Origin you could bring back with no issue, pretty much any time. Besides that in the relaunch they've already said, that Grayson's team of titans was around (as part of Starfire's little bit of back history for Red Hood and the Outlaws), albeit, with Cyborg and apparently Wally not having been members? Goofy continuity issues but then I explained all that back in another compressed timeline thread in one of the relaunch threads *shrug*.....

Wally at his height, would still continually say how Barry could do stuff Wally could never even begin to think of or accomplish, and the stint when both were around, before Flashpoint mucked things up was fairly interesting but when the relaunch hit, and we got Bart, as Kid Flash again? Count me in the Wally got the Shaft camp because if there was ever a character you could have ditched it was "Impulse"....

Ah well, back to topic though. Good build for 175 but that being said as well, 250 minimum for a stripped down "fx" based build, 400 in 6e for something worth playing in a game that's more then the guy that fetches Pizza for the team.

~Rex