BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

Steve Long

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: BOOK OF THE EMPRESS Kickstarter

They are *technically* correct: a 228 page soft-cover will fit into a Priority International Flat Rate Legal Envelope (9.5" by 15") for $13.95. Possibly even with a little cardboard backing. The problem is the truly ghastly beating that book will take on its way to, say, Brazil. My fear based on years of experience is that it will end up being a 178 page book (or something equally terrible) by the time it gets there.

That's why I didn't recommend shipping it that way to Steve: the odds of the book being mint on arrival are low, at best.

Yup, it's been an excellent past couple of days! We really appreciate the tremendous support the Hero community's given us. In optimistic anticipation, we've begun thinking about what we might announce in terms of secondary goals (as in, "If we reach $X, we'll also give all backers This Cool Thing" or "improve the book This Cool Way"). :hex:

Thank you Chris! And thanx to everyone who's pledged their support so far! The Book Of The Empress is now funded. ;)

We started talking amongst ourselves today about possible freebies and benefits we could offer as we strive to reach greater secondary goals. Now I guess we'd better start thinking about that more seriously! :thumbup:

Nice!!

This is great news!! I am really, really happy to hear this!

As a backer any other freebies or extra benefits would be cool, but as a fan and long time supporter of all things Hero, I personally, would be just as happy (if not happier) if any extra money raised went into the Hero coffers to be used to fund future projects (thus lowering the amount needed to be raised to fund them, or to go towards getting the core book reprinted and out to the public) rather then spent on bonus gifts, which while nice and cool, are not essential, but getting books out to gamers and making Hero more available to new fans (and thus bring in more money for the company) would make me even happier.

Congrats again!! I can't wait for this book and many more to come.

Given some posters indicated a reluctance to support at a "printed book" level due to outside US shipping, perhaps a secondary that would reduce the shipping costs might merit consideration. As a non-US shipper myself, I pledged "my level plus shipping" anyway, so I'm not hung up, but if this would attract more non-US buyers, that may be useful. As well, it would also be an opportunity to see how much extra international demand is stimulated by discounted shipping, which may be helpful in assessing the shipping approach for future KickStarters.

Like most free advice, the above isn't likely worth more than you paid for it, of course!

I imagine getting any overage in small denominations $ and throwing them in the air is also okay. That what I would do...

I just realised I posted this in the wrong kickstarter thread. I meant for it to be in the Champions one were funding overage was being discussed.

Whether we are actually over $10k will depend on how many people from the rest of the world have pledged, as such pledges include a fixed payment for shipping. Can I just say, on this point, that Hero used to send stuff to the UK for free* if you ordered on good sized orders, and I have moaned about not paying enough in the past, but $50 does seem quite steep. I suppose it depends on the speed of delivery, and if that is what it costs, that is what it costs. plus there is always the .pdf option.

*Well, if not for free, then for very little.

1/12/2012 NEW GOAL AND REWARD TIER!

The BotE Kickstarter has been a success so far, and we want to thank all of our supporters for their help. Now it’s time to try to make the project an even bigger success, and to do that we’re announcing two additions.

First, we’re setting a new goal of $14,000. If we reach that amount, author Steven S. Long will create a PDF to be given away free only to backers of the Kickstarter. It will provide more details on the Crusaders of the Infinite Realities, an organization of mystics who fight against Empress Istvatha. This PDF will include character sheets for at least five members of the Crusaders as well as other information about the group.

Second, we’re establishing a new reward tier. $150. For a $150 pledge you not only get a copy of the book with signed bookplate (plus of course a PDF and Character Pack), you get to help Steve create a new villain or hero! These characters will appear in a special PDF that we’ll distribute to all backers of the BotE project. You can choose whether to have Steve create a member of the Imperial Battalion (one of the Empress’s superhuman soldiers) or a member of the Crusaders of the Infinite Realities (mystic anti-V’hanian rebels). You tell Steve what sort of powers you want the character to have and provide some other background details, and he’ll create the character. And of course you’ll get credit for inspiring the character in the PDF. It’s an opportunity to contribute directly to the Champions Universe!

We've got some news on the new $150 tier and its reward.

The main benefit of the new reward -- helping to create a character -- will be extended for free to all backers who pledge at the $1,000 or $2,000 level. Backers who've already pledged at the $200 level and would like to add "create a character" from the $150 tier to their reward can do so for an additional pledge of $50. Characters created by backers from above the $150 tier will be in addition to the 10 allocated for that tier -- so this means more cool characters for all backers to enjoy!

Woot!

This is the second time you've posted that Narf. Why don't you post in the company questions thread or PM Jason.

Also note that the price has already been complained about and the reason for the cost given, either in this very thread or the clone of it over in the Champions section.