Vehicle Speed

azato

Re: Vehicle Speed

Typically, I just say 'go with the lower Speed of the pilot or the vehicle'. In theory, you could muck around with the vehicle moving on its speeds with the driver delaying actions to control it on the phases he can, meaning the vehicle will move on at least one segment he can't control it and probably plow into something, but there are few instances in which I think that's a good idea.

There is a space ship listed in a set of rules with a speed of 6 which really no person is ever gonna get close since most mere mortals are in the 2-3 range..and the speedy people in my heroic campaign are 4's. One thought I had was to allow piloting changes to occur on those phases. I think I will just use it as a limit, but it seems like points wasted.

Typically' date=' I just say 'go with the lower Speed of the pilot or the vehicle'. In theory, you could muck around with the vehicle moving on its speeds with the driver delaying actions to control it on the phases he can, meaning the vehicle will move on at least one segment he can't control it and probably plow into something, but there are few instances in which I think that's a good idea.[/quote']

Don't forget aborting and holding an action here.

The example Space-Ship Computer with Autopilot (6E2 185) has only SPD 1. Reasoned that it "always holds an action". You don't need to "spend" phases just to keep going in a straight line. Only changing directions or evading attacks (dodge) requires you to spend a phase.

The driving is all about being prepared for the things that come. When you are using your phone to talk or play with your auto-radio, you don't hold the action anymore.

Indeed. If you are using Phases to determine vehicular movement, the vehicle moves on it's own phases. In the case of Speed 6 those are segments 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12. The pilot however only gets to perform maneuvers on his own phases. At speed 3 that's 4, 8 and 12. Thus the speed 6 vehicle with the speed 3 pilot will move forward on segments 2, but the pilot will not be able to turn the vehicle till segment 4. Hopefully the vehicle won't collide with anything during segments 2 or 3.

Christopher is correct though, pilots are considering to be holding their phase in case they need to react to something. The vehicle can move in a straight line without any input from the pilot at all so holding one's phase to turn when necessary is the norm.

High speed vehicles are for high speed characters. If you do not have the speed you can not control it as fast as you would like.

Say a speed 6 plane. A speed 4 character can set the speed of the plane to 6 and put it to full speed when on auto pilot in a straight line. When it comes to combat speed they can keep it at speed 6 but most probably crash or reset to speed 4 with less movement speed.

Only a character with the same speed can get the full combat speed out of a vehicle.

Yea....so really the vehicle doesn't have a speed...rather is should be a SPD maximum limit.

Sort of.

If you "open up" the vehicel and let it move at its full potential, it moves (forward) on it's own phases. The pilot/driver turns the vehicle on his/her own phases. This can be bad because during a segment in which the pilot has no phase, the vehicle could move forward and crash into something before the pilot can react.

However I think many HERO players treat vehicles as you suggested above...the vehicle SPD is a "potential" and you use the pilot's speed instead. No pilot or driver should drive a vehicle beyond their ability anyway, so keeping the vehicle down to their own SPD is reasonable.

Christopher is correct though' date=' pilots are considering to be holding their phase in case they need to react to something. The vehicle can move in a straight line without any input from the pilot at all so holding one's phase to turn when necessary is the norm.[/quote']

Never forget aborting here. Unless the pilot has already acted in a segment, he can always abort to "change cource" or "change speed". But he is risking to be unable to defend himself or make another change until his next phase comes.

You can still use full NCM plus full SPD to get from A to B, but better slow down when you want to fight.

I don't want to derail this topic but ages ago Hero vehicles moved every phase (aka they all had 12 speeds) and control was determined by the vehicles speed. I really liked this as it made vehicles feel clumsy compared to characters and it made them dangerous...I liked that feel personally. I might be the only person that liked the old rules but what the hec. I also like acceleration/deceleration etc from the old rules. :(

I don't want to derail this topic but ages ago Hero vehicles moved every phase (aka they all had 12 speeds) and control was determined by the vehicles speed. I really liked this as it made vehicles feel clumsy compared to characters and it made them dangerous...I liked that feel personally. I might be the only person that liked the old rules but what the hec. I also like acceleration/deceleration etc from the old rules. :(

There are Rules for "Segmented Movement" on 6E2 27. They can be applied to any form of movement, inlcuding walking/running.