Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

Steve

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

Well-Endowed: +1 SA, limited group: 2 points; +1 with PS/KS involving intercourse : 3 points

Really Well-Endowed: +2 SA, limited group: 4 points; +2 with PS/KS involving intercourse: 6 points

Ladies' Man: +3 with Charm, Persuasion and Conversation, only vs. women: 6 points +3 with PS: Perform Sexual Technique and KS: Perform Sexual Technique, only vs. women: 6 points

I Can Go All Night: Half Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 2 points

I Can Go As Long As I Want: Zero Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 4 points

Remind me to write up my various versions of "Babe Magnet" tomorrow...

I don't buy into the SA extrapolation. It assumes you're dealing with a Size Queen. Female genitalia varies in size as much as male genitalia does. Its more a question of a "good fit" than "bigger is better." Not all women are enamored of outsized fellows. For some women it will produce an instant "not on your life."

I don't buy into the SA extrapolation. It assumes you're dealing with a Size Queen. Female genitalia varies in size as much as male genitalia does. Its more a question of a "good fit" than "bigger is better." Not all women are enamored of outsized fellows. For some women it will produce an instant "not on your life."

Hence the "limited group" notation--not everyone would be appreciative of the upsizing, true. Possible substitutions might include Well-Formed(a bonus to SA which is "size-neutral") or It's Not the Size of the Ship...(which would provide a bonus to intercourse, not to SA).

How about a Limitation or Side Effects that for some partners the bonus would be negative?

By the way, do we have any actual women participating in this discussion yet?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not? chromosome

Going back to the heightened libido concept, how would you create abilities that modify someone's libido in general? I'm thinking something more subtle than using Mind Control on an emotional level to induce lust. If you wanted to get someone sexually charged up, would that be a Change Environment as Lucius earlier suggested or Transform? I'm leaning towards Transform.

Going back to the heightened libido concept' date=' how would you create abilities that modify someone's libido in general? I'm thinking something more subtle than using Mind Control on an emotional level to induce lust. If you wanted to get someone sexually charged up, would that be a Change Environment as Lucius earlier suggested or Transform? I'm leaning towards Transform.[/quote']

Charm?

I have noticed, of late, many heroes seem to assume everything should be modeled with powers.

Often the skill section is more than sufficient to achieve desired effects.

Going back to the heightened libido concept' date=' how would you create abilities that modify someone's libido in general? I'm thinking something more subtle than using Mind Control on an emotional level to induce lust. If you wanted to get someone sexually charged up, would that be a Change Environment as Lucius earlier suggested or Transform? I'm leaning towards Transform.[/quote']

Maybe combined use of the Seduction (Charm), Conversation (or Oratory for groups) and various KS or PS relating to emotional manipulation and setting atmosphere?

Hence the "limited group" notation--not everyone would be appreciative of the upsizing' date=' true. Possible substitutions might include [i']Well-Formed[/i](a bonus to SA which is "size-neutral") or It's Not the Size of the Ship...(which would provide a bonus to intercourse, not to SA).

While I agree with Vondy pointed out Hero System is more a "dramatic realism" game than starkly realistic. And the genre's it emulates size usually does matter if it comes up so the "Well Endowed" Talents work IMO. But perhaps it might mention some that its a cinematic take on the subject or present "realistic" alternatives?

I Can Go All Night: Half Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 2 points

I Can Go As Long As I Want: Zero Endurance Cost on up to 20 STR, only for "intimate" activities(-1 1/2): 4 points

It should be noted that all Demons in D&D are immune to exhaustion - inlcuding the succubus/incubus.

Much to the delight of Nale from Order of the Stick.

Asuming you don't want to use skills:

Transform is always long lasting. When you want a long lastign Slave you don't use MC but Mental Transform: Into Mindslave.

Maybe Mental Illusions? It creates the perception of "beign aroused".

Mind Controll with a set effect "only to arouse" and maximum effect "not more than EGO +10".

Charm?

I have noticed, of late, many heroes seem to assume everything should be modeled with powers.

While I agree, I think this varies from game to game.

It seems many GM's are reluctant to allow extraordinary results to be attained using extraordinary skills, so the player who wants more control over the ability to succeed with cinematically spectacular results is motivated to build "limited mind control" rather than "extreme interaction skills". The same GM who won't allow a 28- Charm roll to seduce a highly unlikely target seems OK with limited Mind Control (requiring, say, 5 minutes' time and the ability to converse with the target) achieving the desired result.

The funny thing is, even when you allow Interaction Skills to be capable of the same extraordinary results as mental powers, the following caveats apply:

1. Mental Powers are still likely to be much quicker, much more precise and much more reliable.

2. It will still cost you a bucketload of points to have a high enough skill roll to emulate a mental power.

3. Unlike Mental Powers, repeated skill use on the same target may actually become less effective over time, as the person begins to realize they're being manipulated and naturally becomes more resistant.

Charm?

I think some of this tendency comes from Skill effects being relatively vague compared to Power effects which often offer more defined and granular results with more guidelines and often examples. The Ultimate Skill helps in this department but the not everyone has it and the difference is still noteworthy, IMO.

Some campaigns also impose skills caps in general.

If a fantasy campaign has a 14- skill roll cap, then taking super-skills built as powers becomes the only option to simulate cinematic effects.

If all super-skills are required to have the appropriate skill roll as a limitation, then it creates the extraordinary skills roll effect while still keeping skill rolls lower. In a lot of cases, it is also cheaper points-wise.

The funny thing is, even when you allow Interaction Skills to be capable of the same extraordinary results as mental powers, the following caveats apply:

1. Mental Powers are still likely to be much quicker, much more precise and much more reliable.

2. It will still cost you a bucketload of points to have a high enough skill roll to emulate a mental power.

3. Unlike Mental Powers, repeated skill use on the same target may actually become less effective over time, as the person begins to realize they're being manipulated and naturally becomes more resistant.

These are definitely points that should be gone over in any discussion of "Super-Skills."

JG

Unless limited to be slower, less precise and less reliable. That carries the problem that they quickly become less expensive than the relevant skill. Consider, for example, the simple Bard's ability to subtly weave suggestion into song:

1d6 Mind Control, Cumulative (+1/2), x64 maximum (+1 1/2 - 384 points maximum), IPE (overall; +1/4); IPE (while accumulating; +1/4); 0 END (+1/2); Telepathic Commands (+1/4), Selective AoE Radius (+1 1/4) 30 active points; Extra Time - 1 turn (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), OIF - Musical Instrument of Opportunity (-1/2), Gestures Throughout (-1/2), Incantations Throughout (-1/2) Real Cost 12 points

Assuming a 10- roll to hit, and average rolls of 3, it will take about 115 turns (about 23 minutes), on average, to achieve a +50 result (target remembers actions as their own idea at the +30 level) on a 35 Ego target with -17 to the breakout roll. Weaker willed targets, lower levels of mind control or lower penalties to the breakout roll will reduce this time.

Very precise and quite reliable. Not overly fast, however.

The same 12 points could buy you a 13 PRE and Charm (or any one interaction skill) with +3 to the roll.. That's 15-. Not exactly on the same scale, I concur.

3. Unlike Mental Powers' date=' repeated skill use on the same target may actually become less effective over time, as the person begins to realize they're being manipulated and naturally becomes more resistant.[/quote']

Let's see...breakout rolls immediately (-1, so 3, or less), after a turn (0, so 3 or less), a minute (1, so 3 or less), 5 minutes (2, so 3 or less), 20 minutes (3 or less), an hour (4-), 5 hours (5-) and a day (6-) gives an 83.3% chance they fail all rolls. Maybe he should have strummed a little longer for, say, a -20 penalty to the breakout roll. That's less than a 3% chance of a successful breakout. Of course, we may need to strum for a while each day to fully maintain the effect.

And, should they break out, they think whatever they did was their own idea. They just can't resist a musician of his skills.

These are definitely points that should be gone over in any discussion of "Super-Skills."

JG

One "problem" with Powers as Skills is that they have some system baggage that has to be considered (even if its just handwaved) like Mental Powers breakout rolls, having a "signature" and being visible to mental awareness and blocked/reduced by Mental Defense which may not make sense with some SFX. "Why does her Psi scrambling bonnet make her more resistance to certain cinematically potent but completely non psionic Skills?"

One "problem" with Powers as Skills is that they have some system baggage that has to be considered (even if its just handwaved) like Mental Powers breakout rolls' date=' having a "signature" and being visible to mental awareness and blocked/reduced by Mental Defense which may not make sense with some SFX. "Why does her Psi scrambling bonnet make her more resistance to certain cinematically potent but completely non psionic Skills?"[/quote']

One workaround is defining the power as working vs. PRE instead of EGO, and then its "visibility" would be noticeable to people who are "socially attuned", that is, people with the relevant interaction skills would be able to detect a "super skill" at work. I'll try to suggest this at some point in the ESSE thread.

And, should they break out, they think whatever they did was their own idea. They just can't resist a musician of his skills.

Roleplaying wise that could be very potent even if the target breaks out. Making someone that they want to murder their wife or jump off a roof has got to mess with them on some level even if they never do it.

One workaround is defining the power as working vs. PRE instead of EGO' date=' and then its "visibility" would be noticeable to people who are "socially attuned", that is, people with the relevant interaction skills would be able to detect a "super skill" at work. I'll try to suggest this at some point in the ESSE thread.[/quote']

But it would still be affected by Mental Defense regardless of SFX unless the MD has a Limitation. :-/. And personally, I never liked PRE also indicating resistance to Interaction skills and effects (including Pre attacks) but that is just a preference.

But it would still be affected by Mental Defense regardless of SFX unless the MD has a Limitation. :-/. And personally' date=' I never liked PRE also indicating resistance to Interaction skills and effects (including Pre attacks) but that is just a preference.[/quote']

Actually, you can build a mental power to go against defenses other than mental defense with the "attack against alternate defenses" modifier. One of the seduction powers I recently built (an Ego drain) went against an Ego roll as the defense instead of power defense.

Roleplaying wise that could be very potent even if the target breaks out. Making someone that they want to murder their wife or jump off a roof has got to mess with them on some level even if they never do it.

Getting manipulated into doing something that goes against self and moral interest will mess with anybody. Of course, con men in the real world do that with some regularity. The Last Seduction, House of Games, The Spanish Prisoner and a few others are good cinematic examples of how convincing a skilled manipulator can be.

Getting manipulated into doing something that goes against self and moral interest will mess with anybody. Of course' date=' con men in the real world do that with some regularity. The Last Seduction, House of Games, The Spanish Prisoner and a few others are good cinematic examples of how convincing a skilled manipulator can be.[/quote']

Oh, I wasn't talking limitation on the Super skill mental Powers. In fiction, people have been talked to into all sorts of shennangans. There should be a way to emulate that. But I was remarking on the havoc a "Mentalist" could wreak even MC that was mechanically unsuccessful (the Target breaks out before they complete the order) if they did manage to get the effect level "Target thinks they orders were their own idea". You could really mess with someone head by filling them all sorts of urges that they think are their own even though they fight them off. It would at least make some interesting RP.

I just discovered that I posted a response meant for this thread in a different one by mistake. In the hope that it's still relevant:

It just occurred to me that "Heightened Libido" would provide more interesting roleplay during a historical period (late pulp to 1950s) where there was increased overt interest in sexuality' date=' but a cultural taboo against open discussion of same.[/quote']

Oh' date=' I wasn't talking limitation on the Super skill mental Powers. In fiction, people have been talked to into all sorts of shennangans. There should be a way to emulate that. But I was remarking on the havoc a "Mentalist" could wreak even MC that was mechanically unsuccessful (the Target breaks out before they complete the order) if they did manage to get the effect level "Target thinks they orders were their own idea". You could really mess with someone head by filling them all sorts of urges that they think are their own even though they fight them off. It would at least make some interesting RP.[/quote']

Not if the target break out imediately (on his first breakout roll):

"a character always gets one (but only one) Breakout Roll before he suffers the effects of a Mental Power." - 6E1 149. It's clearly repeated a little bit later: if you make your first breakout roll, your where never affected at all.