Getting There: Non-Combat Movement

Cassandra

Before the 5th edition non-combat movement used to be relatively expensive. For example Flight 10", 8x NCM would cost 30 points. A SPD 4 character would move at 119 mph, good enough is they were operating in a Campaign City, but if there was problem on the otherside of the country he would need to get there some other way.

The Variable Advantage advantage offers an alternative. Flight 10" Variable Advantage (+1/2) would allow the character to switch from 1/2 END (+1/4) or Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4) for the same 30 Points. This allows the same SPD 4 character to have a non-combat movement speed of 7440 mph, or just under Mach 10.

Furthermore you may take a -1/4 disadvantage is you use four or less advantages with Variable Advantages. A character could take 1/4 END, Megascale, and Useable Underwater and pay only 24 Points for his Flight [Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), Megascale [1 Km] or Useable Underwater or 1/2 END Only (-1/4)].

Re: Getting There: Non-Combat Movement

Before the 5th edition non-combat movement used to be relatively expensive. For example Flight 10"' date=' 8x NCM would cost 30 points. A SPD 4 character would move at 119 mph, good enough is they were operating in a Campaign City, but if there was problem on the otherside of the country he would need to get there some other way.[/quote']

1. This works for superhero genre simulation, as very few superheroes have the capacity to go cross-country in a small amount of time.

2. Movement multipower. Regular flight, noncombat flight, megascale flight.

Before the 5th edition non-combat movement used to be relatively expensive. For example Flight 10", 8x NCM would cost 30 points. A SPD 4 character would move at 119 mph, good enough is they were operating in a Campaign City, but if there was problem on the otherside of the country he would need to get there some other way.

The Variable Advantage advantage offers an alternative. Flight 10" Variable Advantage (+1/2) would allow the character to switch from 1/2 END (+1/4) or Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4) for the same 30 Points. This allows the same SPD 4 character to have a non-combat movement speed of 7440 mph, or just under Mach 10.

Furthermore you may take a -1/4 disadvantage is you use four or less advantages with Variable Advantages. A character could take 1/4 END, Megascale, and Useable Underwater and pay only 24 Points for his Flight [Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), Megascale [1 Km] or Useable Underwater or 1/2 END Only (-1/4)].

Is this something you like or dislike? I can't tell if this is a complaint or if there is a question involved or what...

This was a build I used regularly in 5th ed. Now I've switched to 6th ed and Megascale is considerably more costly (+1 advantage, minimum) so I buy it differently, when I buy it all.

Either I buy a small (1 or 2") amount of movement and megascale it (it's still awesomely fast at this level), or if I want to spend more points, I put it in a multipower with my attack powers. Since mega-movement is a non-combat power, I won't need to use the attacks at the same time anyway....

Before the 5th edition non-combat movement used to be relatively expensive. For example Flight 10"' date=' 8x NCM would cost 30 points. A SPD 4 character would move at 119 mph, good enough is they were operating in a Campaign City, but if there was problem on the otherside of the country he would need to get there some other way.[/quote']

Not to mention the 12 END/Turn this costs. Might not be a problem with normal Recovery, but once you use the 6E rules for Long Term Endurance Loss or some form of increased endurance...

I agree with Collie, but would consider adding linked to the powers.

One big disadvantage with 6E megascaled Movement (and I think 5E too) is that it can be easily disabled with a weak change Environment. -1m/-2" Running might not affect normal Running much, but your 1m/2" Megascaled to 1m = 100 km is toast.

Oh, and don't fall when running...

Not to mention the 12 END/Turn this costs. Might not be a problem with normal Recovery' date=' but once you use the 6E rules for Long Term Endurance Loss or some form of increased endurance...[/quote']

If you do. I rarely worry about END costs out of combat and have never used the Long Term Endurance rules.