Mathematics based mental attacks?

Enforcer84

Marvel's New Warriors once faced a Math Telepath (who I believe died later)

And having the APG I have seen at least one of his abilities: An INT based Entangle now easy to represent.

So I'm thinking of using a teen math wizard (quite literally) named Theorem.

Beyond the "Story Problem of Doom" attack above, what other abilities could I give this kid?

(My math knowledge is low end calculus)

Re: Mathematics based mental attacks?

Well' date=' you could have a Ego Attack based on literally loading Pi to 1 Million spaces into the brain within a second, causing neural overload- you could even call it his Pi Blast :)[/quote']

An Entangle or a movement Drain based on Zeno's paradox(es) would be a good possibility.

More later if I come up with any.

Fun concept, BTW!

Me Likee!

And thanks - wish I could take total credit. :)

Reminds me of the "Mathter" from Kim Possible (known for his unethical, mathematical experiments). And when you think your idea is wierd, just take a look at his lair :)

Some more powers:

This math gives me headches:

Mental Blast.

That will take foreveer to solve:

a NND (not vs. people with build in Rapid Calculator).

Word of Power: "Calculate PI"

Mayor Mental Transform, heals back normally (or based on INT/day), goes against EGO or INT. The enemys mind gets caught in a endless calculation, as this ability force them to calculate PI - making their bodies useless, while they mind is occupied for a long time...

Interdimensional Rule of Phytagoras:

A teleportation. He takes the lenght of the 5. dimension as a² 13. dimension as b², and calculates c² for the 3.Demension (normal spacetime). Wich will cause him to jump a short distance.

Also math includes things like logic, structures, space, change, statistics and of course computers.

And all of our physics understanding is based on math too, so he could be able to substract or add too atoms - the ability to reshape matter, space and the universe.

Just have Theorum's main attack be' date=' "Teaching them how to play Hero System" The math boggles even the mighty.[/quote']

IMHO, this is a myth which does needs to be de-bunked hard. All the math I needed for Hero I learned in grade school.

Fractions. Fifth grade, if I recall correctly.

Anybody who wants to rant about how "You need to learn differential calculus just to make a character in HERO!" would probably find a more receptive audience here.

IMHO' date=' this is a myth which does needs to be de-bunked [i']hard[/i]. All the math I needed for Hero I learned in grade school.

Fractions. Fifth grade, if I recall correctly.

Anybody who wants to rant about how "You need to learn differential calculus just to make a character in HERO!" would probably find a more receptive audience here.

Well they have the Complication 2X Effect from Math Attacks:D

If he does advanced math in his head, he could have some kind of throwing weapon(s) with something like +8 Combat Skill Levels used for Bouncing his attack. He sees and calculates angles, energy transfer, and other factors so quickly and precisely that he can ricochet off virtually anything.

Also, there was an episode of (I think) Fringe where a super-brilliant guy with a deadly vendetta had a unique way of killing his targets: he'd make some tiny adjustment to the environment that would set off a chain of events soon leading to his targets' death. I'm not sure how to model this in Hero (probably some combination of Precognition and Mind Control), but it's worth thinking about.

If he does advanced math in his head, he could have some kind of throwing weapon(s) with something like +8 Combat Skill Levels used for Bouncing his attack. He sees and calculates angles, energy transfer, and other factors so quickly and precisely that he can ricochet off virtually anything.

Also, there was an episode of (I think) Fringe where a super-brilliant guy with a deadly vendetta had a unique way of killing his targets: he'd make some tiny adjustment to the environment that would set off a chain of events soon leading to his targets' death. I'm not sure how to model this in Hero (probably some combination of Precognition and Mind Control), but it's worth thinking about.

I love that episode. Spent awhile trying to model that ability in my head and never could get anything that worked quite right. Ended up chalking it up to role playing and GM fiat attached to a big Killing Attack with Totally Invisible Power effects :)

It might have been in Fringe (don't know, never watched), but there was a character like that in The Cape who did that.

Killing Attack with IPE and Delayed Effect. That kind of ability works better in fiction than games' date=' since it requires a lot of legwork to figure out how each attack manifests.[/quote']OIF Hazard of opportunity.

Marvel's New Warriors once faced a Math Telepath (who I believe died later)

And having the APG I have seen at least one of his abilities: An INT based Entangle now easy to represent.

So I'm thinking of using a teen math wizard (quite literally) named Theorem.

Beyond the "Story Problem of Doom" attack above, what other abilities could I give this kid?

(My math knowledge is low end calculus)

I don't think he died, but due to a lack of actual defenses, he got beat up a lot and eventually went into a non-combat role for evil corporations.

After reading the other replies, I would also suggest working in a mechanism that would make these attacks less effective against those with math-related science skills and perks like lightning calculator or even a high INT score which could figure out these math puzzles quickly even without training.

I also suggest looking at the shows on Science channel if you're looking for mind-bending math. There's a show called "Through the Wormhole" that doesn't shy away from asking big questions. Telepathically sending someone the equations described on that show and making the target's brain try to understand them would make a good ego attack (the math behind branes and other higher-dimensional problems, the physics explaining a star's collapse into a black hole, quantum teleportation).

A Taste of Forever: mental paralysis vs int, target sees the universe from beginning to 10^X years (X being the number of seconds since the paralysis started). To give a sense of scale, after 1 turn (a billion years) is the formation of stars. One turn and one phase (10 billion years) is roughly today. One turn and two phases (100 billion years) and the universe rips itself apart from ever-accelerating expansion or begins the slow slide to maximum entropy aka heath death. I'd give the power a 15 phase max limit because at that point (1 trillion years) either the universe has ended or has become static that people could shake themselves out of it.

I would also consider teleportation as a power as the math telepath works out how to instantly change his XYZ coordinates and a dispell on any superhuman power as the hero points out how the power is mathematically impossible.

I calculate your every move:

Aid DEX, OCV, and DCV 2d6, Expanded Effect (three Characteristics simultaneously; +1) (24 Active Points);

Aid Self Only (-1), Only Applies Against Specific Opponent (-¼); 19 Real Cost.

This is a modification of the "I've taken your measure" Martial Arts power from HSMA 6E 115.

Lightning Calculator

Absolute Range Sense

Absolute Time Sense

(Maybe?) Direction Sense

From there, it's easy to justify a martial art based on knowing EXACTLY where you are, where the other guy is, what your reach is and what their reach is, calculating the exact split second their fist is going to be where your head is now but will NOT be then, understanding everything you need to know about leverage, force, and momentum in order to escape a grab or send your opponent sprawling....

Lucius Alexander

I calculate a palindromedary tagline exactly here

Lightning Calculator

Absolute Range Sense

Absolute Time Sense

(Maybe?) Direction Sense

From there, it's easy to justify a martial art based on knowing EXACTLY where you are, where the other guy is, what your reach is and what their reach is, calculating the exact split second their fist is going to be where your head is now but will NOT be then, understanding everything you need to know about leverage, force, and momentum in order to escape a grab or send your opponent sprawling....

And how do you call these "Mathemartial Arts"?

And how do you call these "Mathemartial Arts"?

Mathematical Arts

Combat Calculation

Combat Computation

Compute Combatation

Practical Tactical Science

Applied Mathematics (Applied upside your head)

Strength in Numbers

The Old One Two Pi

The Equalizer

Putting them Down for the Count

Calculated Risk

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary warns that before you know it Lucius will probably apply most of these names to specific manuevers and write up the whole thing....