3 Contortionist 13-/14-

3 Paramedic 13-

Total Skills Cost: 21 Points

Cost Powers

6 DEX +5, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Linked to Force Field (-1/2),

OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: JSA Radio in Tiara (-1)

15 EC [Amazon Magic]-15 Points

10 1) Entangle 4d6, DEF 4, Takes No Damage (-1/2), Cannot Form Barries (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Must Grab (-1/2), [1c/Recoverable] (-1 1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

11 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4), Only Works When Outdoors (-1/4), Megascale [1 Km] or No END Only (-1/4), IIF: Invisible Plane (-1/4)

10 3) Force Field +10 rPD +10 rED, No END (+1/2), OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

13 4) STR +25, 1/2 END (+1/4), Does Not Work When Bracelets are Chained Together by a Man (-1/4)

6 5) Stretching 5", 1/2 END (+1/4), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

15 Multipower (15 Points)

1 u) Leaping +10", Accurate

1 u) Running +5", 4x NCM

5 LS: Longevity [immortal]

11 Mind Control 10d6, No Range (-1/2), Must Follow Grab (-1/2), Linked to Entangle (-1/2), [1c/Recoverable] (-1 1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

7 Mind Link with a Single Mind in a Small Group, No LOS, Only with Those who Have a Mind Link (-1), May only Receive Messages with a OAF: Mental Radio (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 116 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Etta Candy and the Holliday Girls (Useful Unaware Normal) 8-

5 DNPC: Paradise Island (Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 DNPC: Steve Trevor (Useful Unaware Normal) 8-

5 Enraged When Bracelets are Removed (Uncommon) 8-, Recover 14-

10 Hunted: JSA Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Wonder Woman Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code of the Hero (Very Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Princess Diana/Diana Prince (Frequently/Major)

15 Vuln: Ambushes/Trecherous Attacks, 1 1/2x STUN (Very Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Design Notes

This Wonder Woman is based on the character from the 1940s comics. The Invisible Plane is primarily a Special Effect, allowing her to fly as supersonic speeds but only outdoors. Her Magic Lasso is basically stretching with a couple of interesting capabilities. One is an Entangle which can only be used on one target (hence the 1c/Recoverable), which is linked to Mind Control. In the 40s anyone, even Wonder Woman herself, had to obey whoever tied them with the Magic Lasso. Her Bracelets provide protection in two ways. One is a DEX increase that makes it hard for anyone to actually hit her, as well as actual protection in the form of a force field whose special effect is Wonder Woman deflecting bullets. Wonder Woman and her friends with Mental Radio can always send a telepathic message, but you need to have the actual Mental Radio set to receive them.

As far as her powers go, Wonder Woman is an olympic level athlete whose Amazon training has boosted her physical strength to the superhuman level. Her training in hand to hand combat is also reflected in her bracelets. As the bracelets are symbolic of the Amazon's era of submission to men, removing them can trigger an Enraged attack. Chaining those bracelets together will cause Wonder Woman to lose her superhuman strength until she can break the chain.

Her skills are a reflection of her Amazon training. Acrobatics, Breakfall, and Combat Luck enhance her fighting skills. Her contortionist skill is based on her ability to free herself from ropes, including her own magic lasso, which happened quite often in the comic. Her bureaucratics and paramedic skills are from her Diana Prince identity where she served as a secretary and a nurse.

Wonder Woman isn't psychologically very complicated, being a true blue superheroine. Steve Trevor is the military intelligence officer she works for and who interacts with Wonder Woman a lot. Etta Candy and the Holliday Girls are a group of college students who try and help Wonder Woman and usually end up captured. Paradise Island represents Queen Hipplyta, Mala the Amazon, or reformed spy Paula von Gunther, all of who showed up in peril now and again. Nearly invulnerable do to her training and bracelets, Wonder Woman in only vulnerable to trecherous attacks, such as a chloroform soaked cloth, sleep gas, electric shocks, or the trusty blow to the back of the head.

Re: Comic Books Characters 250 Points 5th Edition

Juggernaut

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

14 DEX 12

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 0

10 COM 0

20 PD 10

20 ED 15

3 SPD 6

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 127 Points

Cost Skills

5 CSL: HTH Combat +1

Total Skills Cost: 5 Points

Cost Powers

20 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 20 rED

10 KNB Resist -5"

13 LS: Does Not Eat, Self Contained

5 Mental Defense 10 Points, IAF: Helmet (-1/2)

10 Running +5"

50 Multipower (50 Points

5 u) Tunneling 10" DEF 10

5 u) Tunneling 1" DEF 16

Total Cost: 118 Points

150+ Disadvantages

15 Enraged When in Combat (Very Common) 8-, Recover 14-

10 Hunted: Professor X (As Powerful) 8-

15 Hunted: SHIELD (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

15 Hunted: X-Men (More Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Overconfidence (Very Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Cain Marko] (Frequently/Major)

10 Vuln: Mental Powers when Helmet Removed, 2x Effect (Uncommon)

Design Notes:

I was reading through the Marvel Encyclopedia and read about Juggernaut's powers. After a few minutes thinking about it I came the to conclusion that Tunneling was the perfect way to simular his ability. The multipower allows him to either walk through mundane things like walls, trees, trucks, etc.. His Tunneling 1" DEF 16 allows him to walk through almost anything up to bank vault doors or the side armor of tanks. The Knockback Resistance is a reflection of how it is to stop him.

I've never understood the need to shoehorn an incredibly powerful character from comics into a rediculously low point build, requiring illegal builds or grossly undepowering the character in question- just make a proper version of the character based on their actual abilities and don't worry about the points- most of the good ones have 30+ years of experience anyways :)

Golden Age Wonder Woman

As always (or almost always :D ) nice character build. My only "nit" to pick might be the bit highlighted in bold above. I would have thought here PD came mostly from the armor that Hephaestus forged for her mother and that Diana was given as a gift along with her lasso and bracelets. In that case wouldn't it be "OIF: Girdle Of Hephaestus"? And I am also not certain that it is an OIF as opposed to IIF, since I don't seem to recall there being any obvious linkage to the PD's source. :think:

Of course, I might well be channeling some other Wonder Woman source media too (potentially the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series -- The episode "Hawk And Dove" where they face the enchanted suit of armor named Annihilator to be specific) as opposed to the purely World War II era comics.....:think:

-Carl-

Batman: The Brave and The Bold

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

16 COM 3

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 99 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

15 Money: Filthy Rich

5 Offensive Strike

3 Security Systems

3 Shadowing

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 78 Points

Cost Powers

19 Armor +8 rPD +8 rED, OIHID (-1/4)

26 Multipower (45 Points) Restrainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

2 u) Darkness to Sight AE 2"r, Personal Immunity (+1/4), [12c/Duration 1 Turn] (+1/4)

2 u) EB 6d6, [16c] (-0)

3 u) EB 6d6, Variable Special Effects [Any] (+1/2), [16c] (-0)

3 u) EB 3d6, NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1), AE 3"r (+1), [16c] (-0)

2 u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3, [16c] (-0)

1 u) Gliding 15"

2 u) Stretching 6", No END (+1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4)

1 u) Swinging 15"

4 ES: Nightvision, OIHID (-1/4)

6 ES: RPT, Restrainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost: 73 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Alfred Pennyworth (Useful Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: Commissioner James Gordon (Useful Unaware Normal) 8-

10 Hunted: Joker (As Powerful) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

20 PsyL: Code of the Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code versus Killing (Common/Total)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [bruce Wayne] (Frequently/Major)

Design Notes:

This Batman is based on an observation I made watching The Brave and the Bold. No one seems to take away Batman's utility belt, so it's not really a Focus. Batman can be restrained preventing the use of his Multipower, but that's why he has contortionist. Note that Batman can use his Darkness (Smoke Bombs), EB (Batarangs), and Entangle (Bolas) while swinging (Batline) or glinding (Cape). The variable special effects covers everything from sonics, lasers, heat, cold, magic, kryptonite, etc..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest steamteck

These are brilliant!

Thank you for these observations AND for posting them. Your approach to Hero 5th ed. is very much in line with my 'take' on the system.

You said it better than I. As always, well done and inspirational Cassandra

I've never understood the need to shoehorn an incredibly powerful character from comics into a rediculously low point build' date=' requiring illegal builds or grossly undepowering the character in question- just make a proper version of the character based on their actual abilities and don't worry about the points- most of the good ones have 30+ years of experience anyways :)[/quote']I've never seen the need for role-playing games, but it is something I enjoy doing.

It's a mental exercise that, obviously, Cassandra likes doing. Personally, I like it because it gives different ideas on how to do things.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman: The Dark Knight

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 AK[iNT]: Gotham City 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bugging 13-

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

Total Skills Cost: 40 Points

Cost Powers

19 Armor +8 rPD +8 rED, OIHID (-1/4)

23 Multipower (40 Points) Restrainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

2 u) Darkness to Sight AE 2"r, Personal Immunity (+1/4), [12c/Duration 1 Turn] (+1/4)

2 u) EB 6d6, [16c] (-0)

2 u) EB 3d6, NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1), [16c] (-0)

2 u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3, [16c] (-0)

2 u) Flash to Sight 3d6, AE 1"r (+1), [16c] (-0)

1 u) Gliding 10"

2 u) Running +5"

1 u) Stretching 4", Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4), No END (+1/2)

1 u) Swinging 10"

7 DEX +5, NFC (-1/2), Restainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

4 ES: Nightvision, OIHID (-1/4)

6 ES: RPT, Restrainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

12 EC [Training]-15 Points, OIHID (-1/4)

9 1) HA +4d6, HTH Attack (-1/2), No END (+1/2)

13 2) Invisible to Sight and Hearing, No END (+1/2), Restainable (-1/2)

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost: 110 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Alfred Pennyworth (Useful Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: Police Commissioner Jim Gordon (Unaware Useful Normal) 8-

10 Hunted: The Joker (As Powerful) 8-

20 NCM

20 PsyL: Code Against Killing (Common/Total)

20 PsyL: Obsessed with Crime Fighting (Very Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [bruce Wayne] (Frequently/Major)

Ok, I was trying to not bring this up but sometimes I just can't resist:

Wonder Woman Build-

15 EC [Amazon Training]-15 Points

10 1) Entangle 4d6, DEF 4, Takes No Damage (-1/2), Cannot Form Barries (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Must Follow Grab (-1/2), [1c/Recoverable] (-1 1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

11 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4), Only Works When Outdoors (-1/4), Megascale [1 Km] or No END Only (-1/4), IIF: Invisible Plane (-1/4)

13 4) STR +25, 1/2 END (+1/4), Does Not Work When Bracelets are Chained Together by a Man (-1/4)

6 5) Stretching 5", 1/2 END (+1/4), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

****Illegal use of EC****

EC powers must have a coherent theme and while Amazon Training might be one, it does not apply here as what you actually have is a hodge-podge of powers, each built through a different focus. This is clearly NOT Amazon training but possibly a set of Powers for a Multipower based around Amazon Devices. Or, to put it another way: How does draining the Lasso also drain the Bracelets?

****Questionable Use of EC****

In addition, I'm not positive it has been strictly mandated but hasn't it been said before that placing enhanced Chars into an EC to represent things like "Kryptonian Physiology" is just cheesier than heck?

****Questionable Use of Limitation****

How does "must follow grab" apply to a lasso? The entangle is itself the target being grabbed by the lasso, correct? Does this mean that the character must be holding the target physically and then seperately wrapping them up with the lasso?

The reason I asked the question above was not to be mean but to point out that the illegal or questionable use of builds like the one above in an attempt to pack in all the required powers/abilities of a target on 250 points clearly indicates that the character cannot, and (IMHO) should not be built on this point level- make the character at a level that actually makes sense for that character and if you want to do a similar character on a smaller point build then create your own Homage character.

I have to agree with fbdaury for the most part (I believe homage characters can be built at nearly any point level with the caveat that starting points should = starting version of a character, not necessarily full blown powerset/skillset)

Just to check I decided to plug the build into Hero Designer using 5e rules and here is what I got:

15 Amazon Stuff: Elemental Control, 30-point powers

6 1) Magic Lasso: Stretching 5", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF (Magic Lasso; -1), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

10 2) Lasso Wrap: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 109 - An Entangle with this Advantage is transparent to attacks, allowing attackers to damage the entangled character without damaging the Entangle itself.; +1/2) (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (Magic Lasso; -1), No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Must Follow Grab (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

13 3) Invisible Plane: Flight 10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; Megascale [1"=1km] or 0 End Only; +1/2) (35 Active Points); IIF (Invisible Plane; -1/4), Limited Power Only Works When Outdoors (-1/4)

10 4) Magic Bracelets: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OIF (Magic Bracelets; -1/2)

9 5) Magical Strength: +25 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (31 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Does Not Work When Bracelets are Chained Together by a Man; -1/4)

[The EC saves 38 real points vs. all slots purchased individually]

from 5er page 314

Adjustment Powers

The Powers in an Elemental Control must have a common special effect. This has implications for the use of Adjustment Powers on or against Elemental Controls.

The use of Variable Advantage with the Invisible Plane implies that the movement could somehow be used in combat (moveby or movethrough) while 'outdoors' but the description/special effect screams non-combat only.

What consistent logic explains why a Drain vs. Flight making all of the other slots getting reduced equally?

The Magical Strength does not take a focus limitation but is tied to the Magic Bracelets by way of the chained description. What happens if someone were to take the Magic Bracelets away? (they are an OIF after all, they CAN be removed with time and effort). If they are removed does it mean the bonus STR is intact?!?

Hey, I admit I might not be the best critic in this situation since I'm all about efficient builds too. Heck, I'm sure some think of my builds as being questionably munchkiny at times but I try very hard to keep an internal logic to them. I can't find much if any with the above build.

I changed to EC from Amazon Training to Amazon Magic. The items (Bracelets, Invisible Plane, Magic Lasso) are the physical represenations of Magic wielded by the Amazons.

I changed Must Follow Grab to Must Grab, which means that to use the No Range Entangle you have to execute a grab.

That still does not qualify for an EC- how does draining her Magic Plane affect her Lasso? If the explanation of the powers cannot justify how draining one power in the EC will also drain the others than it is not, by definition, a "tight" enough SFX to place the powers together in an EC.

Also, the Must Grab lim on Entangle is not a limitation- the Entangle IS a grab so the limitation is not a limitation and therefore not worth any points- you have a no range entagle with stretching meaning as long as the target is within range of the stratching then you can entangle but.

I apolgize for being blunt about this but the constructions used in this EC are simply not valid and an attempt to get around placing the powers into a Multipower (where they would make sense, w/o the Must Grab lim) as the Multipower would be more expensive once you factor that the Active points of pool would have to be high enough to allow for use of both lasso powers at same time, whether as ultra or multi slots.

I imagined it would work like this? She'd have to perform a Grab Manuver, roll to hit, take the CV penalities, the target might be a chance to break out either with Casual Strength or if they have a Phase before her next Phase when she can apply the Entangle with another Attack roll (though against a Reduced DCV target). The special effect being tying the target more securely or something similar.

I imagined it would work like this? She'd have to perform a Grab Manuver' date=' roll to hit, take the CV penalities, the target might be a chance to break out either with Casual Strength or if they have a Phase before her next Phase when she can apply the Entangle with another Attack roll (though against a Reduced DCV target). The special effect being tying the target more securely or something similar.[/quote']

That was my take as well.

Those 2 abilities actually work fine together in an EC imo.

re: Elemental Control

I've tried to avoid using this particular framework as much as possible for many of the reasons highlighted in this thread because it is such a 'judgement call' bordering on campaign/house rule as to what is allowed/legal for each GM judging a build. I prefer Unified Power from 6e and its predicessor from the 5e FAQ:

Question:

If a character wants powers outside his EC (whether in another Power Framework or otherwise) to be affected by negative Adjustment Powers (Drains and the like) as if they were in the EC (to represent a linkage of the overall special effects of his powers), how can he buy that?

Answer:

To simulate this sort of linkage, take this Limitation on all relevant powers outside the EC: Affected By Negative Adjustment Powers Used On [Name] EC (-1/4).

If a character wants his EC to suffer negative effects when any of the outside, related, powers suffer them, he should take the following Limitation on all such EC powers subject to the handicap: Affected By Negative Adjustment Powers Used On Any Outside Power Of [X] Special Effect (-1/4). (Feel free to define X more specifically if you want and the GM doesn’t object.)

If a character wants the slots in his Multipower to work like an EC in regard to the effects of Drain (or the like), he really should buy an EC instead of a Multipower. But if the GM doesn’t object, he could apply a variant of these -1/4 Limitations to make the Multipower work like an EC in regard to Drains and the like.

Of course, the value of these Limitations may change depending on the frequency with which Drains (and the like) are used in the campaign.

I imagined it would work like this? She'd have to perform a Grab Manuver' date=' roll to hit, take the CV penalities, the target might be a chance to break out either with Casual Strength or if they have a Phase before her next Phase when she can apply the Entangle with another Attack roll (though against a Reduced DCV target). The special effect being tying the target more securely or something similar.[/quote']

Yes, but look at the character and ability in question- when has Wonder Woman EVER had to grab someone first and then tie them up with her lasso? It makes no sense- its not like handcuffs, where it makes sense that a target must be held or incapacitated before they can be entangled- the lasso entangles someone as soon as it hits them.

Yes' date=' but look at the character and ability in question- when has Wonder Woman EVER had to grab someone first and then tie them up with her lasso? It makes no sense- its not like handcuffs, where it makes sense that a target must be held or incapacitated before they can be entangled- the lasso entangles someone as soon as it hits them.[/quote']

I think you are overlooking the mechanical (forget sfx for a moment) differences between Grab and an Entangle. Grab costs END to maintain. Entangle does not.

In the case of the example build above, they are both being done with the Magic Lasso. There is nothing illogical about requiring a successful Grab be completed (with the lasso) before 'tying' it off to become a '0-END' Entangle.

Isn't this exactly what rodeo guys do in competition all the time?

I think you are overlooking the mechanical (forget sfx for a moment) differences between Grab and an Entangle. Grab costs END to maintain. Entangle does not.

In the case of the example build above, they are both being done with the Magic Lasso. There is nothing illogical about requiring a successful Grab be completed (with the lasso) before 'tying' it off to become a '0-END' Entangle.

Sure, but I've never seen WW rope a Badguy then flip them over and tie their arms and legs before signalling for her time. :think:

Yes' date=' but look at the character and ability in question- when has Wonder Woman EVER had to grab someone first and then tie them up with her lasso? It makes no sense- its not like handcuffs, where it makes sense that a target must be held or incapacitated before they can be entangled- the lasso entangles someone as soon as it hits them.[/quote']

I saw it as she snags them with the lasso (the Grab) then binds them more securely once she has them. Entangle has some significant benefits over a Grab mechanically. I do recall seeing Wonder Woman lasso her target then truss them up more completely a little later.

Yeah and Grab only disables two limbs by default, Entangle disables the target fully and maintaining and Entangle doesn't reduce the character's CV.

In regards to Wonder Woman's Magic Lasso, I made both the Stretching and the Entangle as a [1c/Recoverable] so she wouldn't have to pay END for it, but also could only bind/grab one target at a time.