Hero Scale

Palmate

I'm in the process of building terrain for a fantasy hero game I'm currently running and ran into a small question - perhaps I will find the answer myself, but in the mean time, I could use some help.

Hero 5th edition began the break from "Hex", and 6th edition has taken it even further moving towards a solid metric solution; so looking at a game that uses miniatures, lets say 28mm, how big is the base/hex the character stands in/controls?

In games like D&D it is a 5x5 foot square. How big do you determine the hex your miniature is standing in to be?

Thanks for the input.

Palmate

Re: Hero Scale

It would probably be simplest to use a hex one meter across for a normal human size character.

Lucius Alexander

Opinions expressed by Lucius Alexander are not necesssarily those of Palindromedary Enterprises, its employees or management, or the palindromedaries.

Hero 5th edition began the break from "Hex", and 6th edition has taken it even further moving towards a solid metric solution; so looking at a game that uses miniatures, lets say 28mm, how big is the base/hex the character stands in/controls?

In games like D&D it is a 5x5 foot square. How big do you determine the hex your miniature is standing in to be?

I'd use 2m hexes, partly because it's close to normal 25/28mm scale and partly because Champions and Hero used 2m hexes through 5e.

I'm in the process of building terrain for a fantasy hero game I'm currently running and ran into a small question - perhaps I will find the answer myself, but in the mean time, I could use some help.

Thanks for the input.

Palmate

I use 2m Hexes due to habit. Though when I use maps for GURPS I conform to their 1m = 1hex scale. Also a 5' square is pretty close to a 2m Square/Hex. Which is another reason to keep the scale to 1hex = 2m.

They changed stuff to make it easier to scale the game for larger combatants. ie in a Giant Robot battles game you might want a hex to equal 16m to keep the amount of movement to something you can keep on a table top. In a Game where large starships clash you might want to megascale everything to be 1hex = 1 kilometer.

Thanks for the responses. Now that I'm home and see the book (thanks Christopher), I see what hero states, I read that to mean that is the size of a person, I like the idea of sticking with the 2m "zone of control". Thank you again for the assistance.

Palmate

There is no "zone of control" in Hero. Is there any reason to map to hexes or squares?

If I use squares, I go with 1m per square. 1m is the base unit of measurement in Hero - keep it simple.

If you want to get close to miniature scale, use 1cm = 1m... any $2 sewing tape (perfect size for gaming) does cm and that makes it really easy. Then you can just use minis on a table or a piece of vinyl.

There is no "zone of control" in Hero. Is there any reason to map to hexes or squares?

AE Cone and Radius work better in Hexes, and movement gets a bit odd with squares due to the Pythagorean theorem; if 1 square=1m (or 2m, or whatever), then technically you move faster diagonally than orthogonally (I think that's the right word).

AE Cone and Radius work better in Hexes' date=' and movement gets a bit odd with squares due to the Pythagorean theorem; if 1 square=1m (or 2m, or whatever), then technically you move faster diagonally than orthogonally (I think that's the right word).[/quote']

Right, so just use true measure. That works better than both.

You can still draw on squares, just measure with a ruler or count every 2 squares = 3m. Let go of the grid and free your mind!

We've switched to 1 hex = 1 meter since 6e was released. I've noticed that lower levels of movement are much more effective than they were when we used 1 hex = 2 meters, and AoE attacks are much more effective with the smaller scale. In 5e, agents stood 2 meters apart, but now they cluster together 1 meter apart.

Guest steamteck

I use 1"=2 meters. That seems to produce the right amount of movement and the map scale is such the map size can stay down a little. The scale seems to work quite well with our homemade counters and extensive collection of maps. Indoor maps on theother hand I sometimes find the 1'=5 feet works better unless the make unusually large rooms

Thanks all for the discussion.

To clarify my full use, I run a fantasy hero which uses miniatures, most are based on a square, round or hex base. With that in mind it gives a good bases for when characters are within grapple/touch range - this is important because I don't use a grid and in fact use the fore mentioned "sewing tape". having an understanding as to a common objects size on the board (like the base of the miniature) helps me as a GM and helps my players understand distance better.

Palmate