The Wonderful Story of the Flying Skeletons

Dr Divago

Once upon a time, there was a Knight in khirkovy

He found a magical gauntlet in irontooth that (among other things) will let him to a powerful hand attack (HA +5d6 with double knockback)

then, with his companion, he found a tower filled with various skeletons, and they realized skeleton got double damage from blunt attacks (including his gauntlet powered fists)

so he started using his gauntlet powered fist to punch away the skeleton

then he got:

- 9½d6 hand attack vs the skeleton (5d6 from gauntlet, 3½d6 from str 18 and +1 DC from CSL). Average is 10 BODY damage rolled

- skeletons got double damage, so average is 20 BODY; minus the 2 PD is 18 BODY

- rolling for kb (body inflicted minus 2d6) average is 7, so it's 11 point knocbkack

- doubling the knockback average is 22 point knockback, aka 44 meters running

tower rooms where 10x10m so in the better scenario skeleton will fly for 10 meters (hitting someone else in the room, including his companions) before hitting the wall and getting 15d6 damage. Sometime, they also opened a breach in the wall.

i sure did something wrong... really really really wrong...

but what?

Re: The Wonderful Story of the Flying Skeletons

Once upon a time, there was a Knight in khirkovy

He found a magical gauntlet in irontooth that (among other things) will let him to a powerful hand attack (HA +5d6 with double knockback)

then, with his companion, he found a tower filled with various skeletons, and they realized skeleton got double damage from blunt attacks (including his gauntlet powered fists)

so he started using his gauntlet powered fist to punch away the skeleton

then he got:

- 9½d6 hand attack vs the skeleton (5d6 from gauntlet, 3½d6 from str 18 and +1 DC from CSL). Average is 10 BODY damage rolled

- skeletons got double damage, so average is 20 BODY; minus the 2 PD is 18 BODY

- rolling for kb (body inflicted minus 2d6) average is 7, so it's 11 point knocbkack

- doubling the knockback average is 22 point knockback, aka 44 meters running

tower rooms where 10x10m so in the better scenario skeleton will fly for 10 meters (hitting someone else in the room, including his companions) before hitting the wall and getting 15d6 damage. Sometime, they also opened a breach in the wall.

i sure did something wrong... really really really wrong...

but what?

First, you used knockback rules intended for cinematic supers. Try using Knockdown rules.

Second, you could cap knockback at actual damage from STR.

Third, you seem to have expected skeletons with Vulnerability: Blunt (x2, Very Common) to have stood up against someone doing 9.5 DCs of Blunt damage.

Fourth, you seem to think this is "doing something wrong" for the simple reason that the player is having it too easy. If the player earned the advantage, the player gets the advantage.

Knockback determination is not dependent on a target's defenses (PD & ED). In fact, a target could take absolutely NO damage from the initial attack and still be sent flying due to Knockback (this happens to super-heroes like Superman a LOT).

First' date=' you used knockback rules intended for cinematic supers. Try using Knockdown rules.[/quote']I use knockback only for spells and special magical items designed for this purpose; this magical gauntlet is one of those. They don't use knockback for normal weapon damage

Second' date=' you could cap knockback at actual damage from STR.[/quote']mmmhhh ok this looks fine

Third' date=' you seem to have expected skeletons with Vulnerability: Blunt (x2, Very Common) to have stood up against someone doing 9.5 DCs of Blunt damage.[/quote']well... yeah...

to be honest, i also expected them (the skeletons) die more quickly

Fourth' date=' you seem to think this is "doing something wrong" for the simple reason that the player is having it too easy. If the player earned the advantage, the player gets the advantage.[/quote']

no that's not this

is just the fact it looked more Bud Spencer and Terence Hill than Lord of the Rings...

Knockback determination is not dependent on a target's defenses (PD & ED). In fact' date=' a target could take absolutely NO damage from the initial attack and still be sent flying due to Knockback (this happens to super-heroes like Superman a LOT).[/quote']O.O

d'oh! i mised that!

(they use kb reaaaaaaaaaaaaally rarely)

i noted also that double knockback is +3/4 so with 18 STR he add only 2 DC, not 3,5...

Ok, now it makes more sense.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy fixes. If you've got player buy-in for a more "Lord of the Rings" style campaign, you could try working with your players to tone down the glove - Perhaps removing the Double Knockback.

Unfortunately' date=' I don't see any easy fixes. If you've got player buy-in for a more "Lord of the Rings" style campaign, you could try working with your players to tone down the glove - Perhaps removing the Double Knockback.[/quote']No it's ok

in 2 years of campaign they almost never used knockback, and they are clearly overpower for those poor skeletons (that, sometime, cannot even act 'cause of the turning undead of the paladin)

so it's ok _versus those enemies_

i'm just looking on how was unrealistic and where did i wrong. Thanks to everyone, i noticed my errors and now it's ok :)

No it's ok

in 2 years of campaign they almost never used knockback, and they are clearly overpower for those poor skeletons (that, sometime, cannot even act 'cause of the turning undead of the paladin)

so it's ok _versus those enemies_

i'm just looking on how was unrealistic and where did i wrong. Thanks to everyone, i noticed my errors and now it's ok :)

Yaay for a successful conclusion! :)

I like Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill. I can see it now: They Still Call Me Trinity of the Rings.

eh eh eh

it was more similar to this one (skip to 4:33):

but with skeleton as the villains and a knight and a paladin as main chars :D