Equipment stripping

The character is so fast they can remove unsecured or simple items from another character's posession in the blink of an eye. Things like belts, rings, holstered and sheathed weapons, etc are fair targets but not complex items like suits of armor or things with complex or secured clasps. Some types of clothing could be removed too. Basically anything that could be snatched off an unresisting person is fair game.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Equipment stripping

This is how I've built such a 'faster than a speeding bullet' effect using 5er rules in the past (usually part of a Multipower or VPP):

20 Teleportation 5", Invisible to Sight Group, SFX Only (+1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; Only to determine OCV of Selective; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (8" Any Area; +1 1/2), Selective (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Disarm/Grab Objects (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) 4

*Note that since this uses the UAA Advantage it should be treated just like a NND attack and assigned an appropriate defense (like possessing similar Speedster abilities).

I wouldn't care much if it were normal bling or items being snatched, but when it is someone's Inaccessible Focus, the rules say you need to use a full turn while they do not resist to strip it off of them using a Grab*. To deny the use of an Inaccessible Focus as a single phase attack action, I'd say you would have to use a Suppress (Advantage : 0 END, Uncontrolled, Works on any power bought on a focus that is not 'complexly secured', Disadvantage : All or Nothing) with the special effect being that you have taken the item, and the defined means of shutting off the uncontrolled being to take the item back.

Sure its expensive, but shutting down the Green Lantern should be harder than using a 20 AP power that is more or less guaranteed to work..

*UAA movement, like a blast or RKAr, can normally only be targetted on Accessible Foci at a -2 OCV penalty, unless, I think, the focus being targetted provides defense. Even then, I don't think I'd allow it to be used to strip an Inaccessible Focus.

Things like belts' date=' rings, holstered and sheathed weapons,[/quote']

Green Latern - Ring

Thor - magic Belt of stamina

Punisher - Holstered Weapons

Most knights - Sheated weapons

Green Arrow - A bow over the shoulder is basically a "sheated weapon"

This sounds very powerfull, especially since each of them would be considered an Inacessible Focus for a reason: That the enemy *can't* take them away easily. Sure, they are foci (totally unstealable would be no limitation) but most of them are inacessible (-1/4) not acessible (-1/2 or -1), or could be treated that way while being secured (sheated/hosltered).

The character is so fast they can remove unsecured or simple items from another character's posession in the blink of an eye. Things like belts' date=' rings, holstered and sheathed weapons, etc are fair targets but not complex items like suits of armor or things with complex or secured clasps. Some types of clothing could be removed too. Basically anything that could be snatched off an unresisting person is fair game.[/quote']

Like "super-speed" Sleight of Hand? If so, I'd ask for an extraordinary (-10 or more) penalty to skill roll.

What about Naked Invisible Power Effects for STR? Too much? =P

"An Inaccessible Focus can’t be hit with a Grab or otherwise attacked for purposes of taking it away from a character while that character is in combat"

"Even a seemingly Accessible Focus can be defined as being Inaccessible if the character prefers. [...] a character could define his shield as being Inaccessible on the grounds he’s so skilled at using it that it’s virtually impossible to take it away from him unless he’s unconscious."

6E1 377.

These are the rules for Foci. So anything that works on snatching the object is cheesy, since you have a realtively easy roll unaffected by AP if you use Grab/Slieght of Hand.

Besides the player dicided to make the item not-snatchable (if he wanted it to be easily taken away, he would have used acessible). And it's the players decision wich/how items/powers can be take away - on this side of a plot device, created by the GM.

Dispel and Drain aren't options either, as the target powers. And once a Focus has more than one power, how can you "partially" steal it?

And how would the Foci/the powers automatically return once the Drain has Faded, or how could you restart a "Steal" Dispelled power?

Even exotic constructs like Teleport/EDM, UOO against the focus would be cheesy: The focus is bought so it can't be take away with a single Attack Action, only damaged.

Transform' date=' then... "character into same character, but lacking one or more items"... with Invisible Power Effects to simulate having hands faster than the naked eye.[/quote']

Yes, from the effect Transform can do that (it can delete/change your powers, even inherent ones). Have some rep.

If that item can be the characters power Armor with 100% of his Powers, this must be a really hefty transform. A Major at least.

On the one side the effect can be powerfull, when it is the Power Armor of Defender.

On the other hand, the healing is relatively easy: An OIF or IIF still requires time to re-don, but is certainly faster than "healing normally".

If the focus should be destroyed on place (i.e. thrown into lava able to destroy it), the normal transform healing time could be used to determine how long the character needs to replace it.

And on the plus side, it could affect even armors anad even OIAID, depending of SFX. But may require multiple attacks to fully steal it (so a chance for the victim to notice what is happening). Kind of what happened to Lex in JLU 2nd Season Final.

Even exotic constructs like Teleport/EDM' date=' UOO against the focus would be cheesy: The focus is bought so it [i']can't[/i] be take away with a single Attack Action, only damaged.

Cheesy? Perhaps...

But also necessary to simulate what you see in the source material from time to time:

Power Rings have been (rather casually) stolen off the hands of Green Lanterns, Batman's Utility Belt has been torn right off him by various strong foes (Solomon Grundy, for example), Hawkman's Wing harness has been removed (while he was flying with them!) and I have personally removed a woman's bra while in "combat" by using a Grab ;)

So this sort of thing should be possible.

OIF/IIF is a tolerable construct for some things, but we really need a "not easy to remove, but still possible in combat" type category for Foci.

Think of it as SAF - Secured Accessible Focus...

Until we have something along those lines, people will continue to use work arounds like the TK and teleport tricks (both of which are constructs used in official books).

Power Rings have been (rather casually) stolen off the hands of Green Lanterns' date=' Batman's Utility Belt has been torn right off him by various strong foes (Solomon Grundy, for example), Hawkman's Wing harness has been removed (while he was flying with them!) and I have personally removed a woman's bra while in "combat" by using a Grab ;)[/quote']

Greens Ring: In the Middle of a Combat? Plot device.

Batmans Belt: You can still destroy it, no problem.

Hawkman: How certain are you it's an OIF, not an OAF?

Women bra: Unless bulletproof spandex, I always consider that an OAF. Maybe even a fraqile one.

Women bra: Unless bulletproof spandex' date=' I always consider that an OAF. Maybe even a fraqile one.[/quote']

Jack the stripper: 10d6 Cosmetic Transform (Character to same character with servere Wardrobe Malfunction). All or Nothing, No Range.

Linked Presence Drain optional. :D

Okay, let's build this with Mr. E's Idea of a Transform:

Major Transform 6d6 "Strip you naked in the blink of an eye":

Effect: Remove Any Single Power or Group of Powers linked by the same Focus; Focus lands in Hand of User;

Healing Method: Must get Focus Back and don it again;

60 Active Points

Viable transform Limitations:

All or Nothing (can't steal Armors piece by piece with that; -1/2).

Maybe some levels of rapid Healing.

Alterntively:

Effect: Transforms any "Focus" into "Stolen Focus";

Healing: Item must be re-aquired, or heals normally

60 Active Points

All or Nothing (-1/2), Limited Target (Foci only; -1/2)

Real cost: 30 Points

Note that this one is targetting the Focus itself and thus the rules for Foci (6E1 308) apply (i.e. unbreakable are also almost unstealable)

The idea behind using Teleport w/UAA is that it works like a mini-EnterTheSpeedZone with very limited combat effects. I would not allow it to be used to remove a GL ring that is actively being used (like an active 'force field') or even Captain America's Shield while strapped on his arm. Basically anything defined as OIF would be off-limits to this method. A Green Lantern out of combat relaxing? little bit of gray area there... definitely a surprise-only thing if allowed at all.

Okay, let's build this with Mr. E's Idea of a Transform:

Effect: Remove Any Single Power or Group of Powers linked by the same Focus; Focus lands in Hand of User;

Healing Method: Must get Focus Back and don it again;

60 Active Points

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369445/quotes

The Gamemaster: There's only one patron at the bar, and he doesn't notice you.

Nimble the Thief: I pick his pocket.

GM: Roll it.

Thief: Ha ha! Got it. Does he have any, uh, weapons or anything?

GM: Yeah, he's got a knife.

Thief: I take that too.

GM: Ok. Roll it.

Thief: Ha ha! Cool! I'm kicking a__! I want to steal his pants.

GM: You're not serious?

Thief: I am serious.

GM: Why do you want his pants?

Thief: I don't want them. I just want to see if I can steal them.

GM: Fine, go ahead. But you suffer a negative eight penalty for difficulty.

[Dice rolls]

GM: I don't believe it.

[pause]

GM: Are you quite finished?

The idea behind using Teleport w/UAA is that it works like a mini-EnterTheSpeedZone with very limited combat effects. I would not allow it to be used to remove a GL ring that is actively being used (like an active 'force field') or even Captain America's Shield while strapped on his arm. Basically anything defined as OIF would be off-limits to this method. A Green Lantern out of combat relaxing? little bit of gray area there... definitely a surprise-only thing if allowed at all.
I would at least require a kind of Indirect Advantage to cover it - for Cap's shield' date=' but no amount of Indirect gets you past a force[b']field[/b] (other than NND does BODY or equivalent).

I would at least require a kind of Indirect Advantage to cover it - for Cap's shield' date=' but no amount of Indirect gets you past a force[b']field[/b] (other than NND does BODY or equivalent).

When green latern is in battle, his hand is clenched to a fist. Also, his body is sourounded by GL energy, wich from time to time has protected him from area-time effects (he could still use time tunnles, but wasn't affected by total changes of reality). The hand as fist blocks out normal grabs, no matter how fast/how many bonusses. While the GL-Energy should protect from 'real' UOA Teleports. But those are only the SFX's of being an Inacessible Focus, or no Focus at all.

This is why you need a transform, to affect OIF/IIF's. You are trying to take away one or more power with a one phase action, that was not supposed to be taken away in battle with a one phase action (if it where, he would bought it as an accessible focus). You are doing something that no Teleport UOA/Grab/amount of Speed could do. Lukily transform and Change Environment are there for such things. When the GM allows that power, since Transform is a STOP sign power.

A teleport with a high enough "indirect" advantage would be able to do the magic trick with the rings - but for real! & NND will get past a forcefield

No. Of course the Gm can allow it, but he shouldn't. That's a potential Gamebreaker.

Trying to take away GL-Ring is by now means different from trying to steal superman heat vision (without stealing his eyes). You can't do that with no amount indirect and superspeed.

An OIF/IIF can only be stole outside of combat: When the character sleeps, is K.O. after the fight or as plot device. That's what he paid for/saved points for. You still can use transform to take it away, as shown above. But the more powerfull an item is, the more difficulty it will be to take it away, even with transform.

A teleport with a high enough "indirect" advantage would be able to do the magic trick with the rings - but for real! & NND will get past a forcefield

Inaccessible Foci would be off limits to any type of Movement with UAA. My superspeed sfx teleport UAA also happens to have Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4). I would rule that some bit of wiggle room needs to exist before an accessible foci could be affected. The build was primarily designed to allow a speedster to disarm multiple agents with a minimum or rolls and reference to normal 'disarm' OCV penalties. It is not meant to be a method to bypass normal STR vs. STR when a 'super-strength' grip is involved. Let's say Hulk is holding on to an object small enough to allow him to use a closed grip (fingers overlapping thumb). Quicksilver is not going to be able to remove that object no matter how FAST he can move since no 'wiggle room' exists.

but someone with teleport powers might want to be able to try this sort of thing.

Do you mean teleport special effect?

If so, it still would require a transform or dispel build to affect inaccessible foci.

Right. The game effect is: Disable enemy Powers, by stealing the Inacessible Focus (seriously, why else would you steal it?).

If the special effect is superfast movement/declothing or teleporting the item out of the hand, is totally unimportant. Game effect decides Power, not Special Effect.

Teleport UAA only works on Accessible Foci.