CHAMPIONS BEYOND Sneak Peek: The Cover!

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS BEYOND Sneak Peek: The Cover!

I'm interested in more about the Malvans and the Elder Worm, so I'm looking forward to seeing this in print. Does it have any information we haven't seen before on the Phazor and his family?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in more about the Malvans and the Elder Worm, so I'm looking forward to seeing this in print. Does it have any information we haven't seen before on the Phazor and his family?

Yes, it does. It has a whole lot of all-new information about the Malvans and Malva generally, and that includes a section on their government and a couple paragraphs on Phazor Valzad XIII. A couple of his cousins also are important enough to warrant descriptions of their own (and in one case a character sheet).

Note that the backgrounds of alien races -- history, culture, homeworlds, etc. -- in Champions Beyond are quite abbreviated compared to relevant entries in the Star HERO line of books.

Yes, that's often true. It's also worth noting that the species in CBY are described as of 2011, not as of the 2500s-2700s as in various SH supplements. So some of the information in those supplements, particularly certain historical details and info about their technology, won't apply in a game set in the modern day.

Yes' date=' it does. It has a whole lot of all-new information about the Malvans and Malva generally, and that includes a section on their government and a couple paragraphs on Phazor Valzad XIII. A couple of his cousins also are important enough to warrant descriptions of their own (and in one case a character sheet).[/quote']

That's great to hear. I've been considering a character idea for a princess of Malva, so extra info on the Phazor and the Malvan royalty will be welcome.

The chapter on the Malvans may be the longest one in CBY. The chapter on Earth's Moon also goes into considerable detail on the Forum Malvanum, their "branch" gladiatorial arena, set up to take advantage of Earth's relatively plentiful supply of superpowered beings. It's one of the main draws bringing aliens from across the galaxy to this corner of space.

The hints for the Worm and the Hzeel (and possibly the Malvans) indicate this book will come in very handy for where I'm planning to take my Hero Central game. Probably not 100% (That would mean either Steve is reading my mind' date=' and scary as that might seem I'm sure he's got better things to be doing, or he and I think way too much alike -- which I'm sure any number of people would find terrifying), but more than useful enough to justify the purchase... :D[/quote']

What in particular would you like to know about the Malvan coverage in CBY?

Just got to the section on the Golden Hunters (pg 102)...

:eg:

Nailed it in one...

I'm not surprised. Aliens are a classic pillar of the superhero community. :)

I'm not surprised either since this is all new material. I haven't purchased anything in 6E so far because it seemed repetitive and I had decided to put it off unless the material went somewhere that the material I had didn't go. I love the book, but I wouldn't have minded to see one of the hostile races left out (most likely the Qualarr since a lot of that is covered in Monster Island) and more space faring enemies.

I bet new versions of Kingdom of Champions and Golden Age of Champions would sell very, very well.

I'm not surprised either since this is all new material. I haven't purchased anything in 6E so far because it seemed repetitive and I had decided to put it off unless the material went somewhere that the material I had didn't go. I love the book, but I wouldn't have minded to see one of the hostile races left out (most likely the Qualarr since a lot of that is covered in Monster Island) and more space faring enemies.

I bet new versions of Kingdom of Champions and Golden Age of Champions would sell very, very well.

I agree that the fact that for many,this being actually NEW (Terran Empire and such notwithstanding) from the 5th setting made it far more a 'must buy' than some previous materials. I don't have Monster Island, so the Qualar material was fine by me. Still, If LL is right, more space faring enemies could be on their way :)

Steve expressed to me his regret that all the stuff Cryptic created for the Moon, and the Qularr and Gadroon -- awesome though it is -- kinda squeezed the space he would have liked to devote to our Solar System. Still, it wouldn't be too hard to elaborate the details about Mars the book already provides. I agree it's very intriguing. :cool:

Steve expressed to me his regret that all the stuff Cryptic created for the Moon' date=' and the Qularr and Gadroon -- awesome though it is -- kinda squeezed the space he would have liked to devote to our Solar System. Still, it wouldn't be too hard to elaborate the details about Mars the book already provides. I agree it's very intriguing. :cool:[/quote']

Commies from Mars! The Red Planet.

"Welcome to glorious People's Democratic Republic of Barsoom"

so shall we expect Champions of Mars soon?

'Fraid not. In CU terms, there's just not that much going on, though there are definitely some plot seeds. I could see doing a "Mars Hero" book... except that given that there's already a GURPS Mars, and by the same author we'd want to hire to write it, I don't think there's any point.

Assuming CBY sold really, really well, I could see doing an expansion supplement, probably a book of villains, but that's probably it. Sourcebooks covering specific parts of the Galaxy or Solar System don't strike me as likely.