LOTR thoughts

Badger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: LOTR thoughts

I'm sorry to say that I've already encountered some information regarding a Fourth Age campaign of yours on the forums. Something about Sauron's daughter manipulating things via mental influence on nobles' date=' trying to stir up a civil war so that she can step in and be the miraculous savior?[/quote']

Course, I am a bit hesitant to know who/what Sauron mated with.

According to Wikipedia' date=' an elf back when he was welcome in their court and his corruption wasn't obvious.[/quote']

He supposedly got it on with ringsmith Celebrimbor's daughter, when he visited Eregion as Annatar the Lord of Gifts. When he later laid waste to Eregion, he took the fruit of the union with him back to Mordor. The daughter ended up as the governor of the lands around Lake Núrnen, the bread basket of Sauron's realm.

But, we havent covered the big question

Is she hot? :doi:

She being the offspring of a Maia and a member of the highest royal family of the Elves, that's a pretty big factor in the "Hell Yes!" column. I mean, she's almost as highborn as Lúthien.

He supposedly got it on with ringsmith Celebrimbor's daughter, when he visited Eregion as Annatar the Lord of Gifts. When he later laid waste to Eregion, he took the fruit of the union with him back to Mordor. The daughter ended up as the governor of the lands around Lake Núrnen, the bread basket of Sauron's realm.

She being the offspring of a Maia and a member of the highest royal family of the Elves, that's a pretty big factor in the "Hell Yes!" column. I mean, she's almost as highborn as Lúthien.

What book is this from? I've never encountered this story before.

What book is this from? I've never encountered this story before.

You could subscribe to the MERP yahoo group, that is where I first heard of it.

But that said, IIRC (a very weak recall mind you) this 1/2 Maia was a somebody's campaign Big Bad, that became almost canon. The idea was in the To Cool Not To Be True catagory.

Although I recall reading that the kingdom of Dale sent a representative to Aragorn's coronation' date=' I don't remember specific mention of its king willingly accepting the overlordship of King Elessar.[/quote']

I doubt if they did. I'm not sure if Dale and Esgaroth were ever under Gondoroid jurisdiction, and they were pretty big on being independent.

Morgoth had many servants, Sauron was only the chief of them. When Morgoth was removed, his servants remained and Sauron gained control over them and became the new chief. It seems likely that after Sauron is overthrown, other (lesser) maiar may remain. Perhaps these are more like local demons, but they may still be powerful enough to assemble armies and terrorize the countryside. Certainly they might be worshipped locally by cults as godlings. Balrogs would certainly fit in this category, as would Shelob, though there could even exist more powerful maiar who are still able to assume fair form.

I wonder too: there were one, three, seven, and nine rings... why not five? Maybe there were five rings of great power that never entered into the story, possibly being given to lieutenants or something. In the fourth age, these might still be extant and could augment the power of five would-be dark lords, competing with each other to become pre-eminent.

Morgoth had many servants' date=' Sauron was only the chief of them. When Morgoth was removed, his servants remained and Sauron gained control over them and became the new chief. It seems likely that after Sauron is overthrown, other (lesser) maiar may remain. Perhaps these are more like local demons, but they may still be powerful enough to assemble armies and terrorize the countryside. Certainly they might be worshipped locally by cults as godlings. Balrogs would certainly fit in this category, as would Shelob, though there could even exist more powerful maiar who are still able to assume fair form.[/quote']

You know... Shelob was of the spawn of Ungoliant, the spirit of Unlight who helped Morgoth destroy the Two Trees. The Silmarillion says that Ungoliant traveled far to the South after fleeing from Morgoth's Balrogs, where it's believed in her hunger she devoured herself. Not for certain, though... also doesn't mention what she spawned down there.

I wonder too: there were one' date=' three, seven, and nine rings... why not five? Maybe there [i']were[/i] five rings of great power that never entered into the story, possibly being given to lieutenants or something. In the fourth age, these might still be extant and could augment the power of five would-be dark lords, competing with each other to become pre-eminent.

Wouldn't matter if there were Five Rings, unfortunately. The fates of all the Rings of Power were tied to that of the One Ring. After it was destroyed all the other Rings would lose their power.

Morgoth had many servants, Sauron was only the chief of them. When Morgoth was removed, his servants remained and Sauron gained control over them and became the new chief. It seems likely that after Sauron is overthrown, other (lesser) maiar may remain. Perhaps these are more like local demons, but they may still be powerful enough to assemble armies and terrorize the countryside. Certainly they might be worshipped locally by cults as godlings. Balrogs would certainly fit in this category, as would Shelob, though there could even exist more powerful maiar who are still able to assume fair form.

I wonder too: there were one, three, seven, and nine rings... why not five? Maybe there were five rings of great power that never entered into the story, possibly being given to lieutenants or something. In the fourth age, these might still be extant and could augment the power of five would-be dark lords, competing with each other to become pre-eminent.

I dont know, whenever I think 5 rings, I think of Captain Planet *shudder*

Although. In a more sinister way. You take the 4 element ones, and replace the Heart ring with something more sinister (and non-lame) that would be interesting in a campaign (probably not LOTR though)

You know... Shelob was of the spawn of Ungoliant' date=' the spirit of Unlight who helped Morgoth destroy the Two Trees. [i']The Silmarillion[/i] says that Ungoliant traveled far to the South after fleeing from Morgoth's Balrogs, where it's believed in her hunger she devoured herself. Not for certain, though... also doesn't mention what she spawned down there.

Wouldn't matter if there were Five Rings, unfortunately. The fates of all the Rings of Power were tied to that of the One Ring. After it was destroyed all the other Rings would lose their power.

Although, maybe a daughter of Sauron might have created her own rings. Having 5 Dark Lords working behind the scenes in various countries, subtly manipulating things.....

Rings or not, any child spawned and raised by Sauron would have to be almost unimaginably evil. I'd envision her as being more of an in-person villain who accomplishes her evil through charm and deceit, though, as opposed to the nebulous big evil that her daddy was. She could pose as a great Eastern queen come to pay her respects to the returned King of Gondor now that Sauron has been defeated...

There might also be one of the more powerful Elves who doesn't want to travel West with the rest of his race, or be supplanted by Men on Middle Earth. I believe Thranduil, lord of the Elves of Mirkwood (and Legolas's father) remains in ME a long time after the War of the Ring.

Or maybe Goldberry finally realizes how crazy Tom Bombadil is and leaves him, and a broken heart drives Tom totally postal. :eg:

There might also be one of the more powerful Elves who doesn't want to travel West with the rest of his race, or be supplanted by Men on Middle Earth. I believe Thranduil, lord of the Elves of Mirkwood (and Legolas's father) remains in ME a long time after the War of the Ring.

Or maybe Goldberry finally realizes how crazy Tom Bombadil is and leaves him, and a broken heart drives Tom totally postal. :eg:

If Goldberry is free to date again, I'm calling dibs! :love:

I'll keep that in mind. He doesn't quite strike me as that type, though.

As for Sauron's daughter, I had seen something like that somewhere, perhaps in another thread. One description I read is that she is beautiful, but except for her head and neck, her body is covered with scales. That's why she's always dressed in long, loose-fitting robes.

Sauron could still assume a fair-seeming form until he was caught in the destruction of Numenor, so any child conceived before that event might appear beautiful, without any grotesque features. Of course, the issue would be, where has she been all this time...

... and the answer, for Sauron's daughter, the last of the Balrogs, or any other potential rival to the Dark Lord, might be: imprisoned beneath the Barad-dur. As long as the One Ring endured, the foundation of Sauron's fortress remained intact and the tower could be raised anew upon it. With the Ring destroyed the foundation crumbled -- and anything trapped beneath it might have escaped into the world.

Sauron could still assume a fair-seeming form until he was caught in the destruction of Numenor, so any child conceived before that event might appear beautiful, without any grotesque features. Of course, the issue would be, where has she been all this time...

... and the answer, for Sauron's daughter, the last of the Balrogs, or any other potential rival to the Dark Lord, might be: imprisoned beneath the Barad-dur. As long as the One Ring endured, the foundation of Sauron's fortress remained intact and the tower could be raised anew upon it. With the Ring destroyed the foundation crumbled -- and anything trapped beneath it might have escaped into the world.

Then, the question becomes: Why he imprisoned his daughter?