Super Heroic Behavior

purple justice

Hello every one ,

I am a new comer in the role playing game world and I just bought Hero System BR yesterday.

I find it fantastic , really interesting . The author made a wonderfull work with words quite accessible to the new comers like me.

I did'nt find any rule about the behaviour of the super heroes.

For instance , imagine a player who would let an hostage bleeding.

Or an other one who would kill a gangster who gave up the fight.

An other example is a super hero who would accept money from criminals.

How to punish the player or prevent him / her to do things like theses?

Is there any rule with points in the complete 6th Hero system ?

thanks for reading.

Re: Super Heroic Behavior

Welcome to the Hero System, it really is a great toolbox to play with.

The rules governing the behavior of a Hero are not something that would be addressed in the core books. The reason for this is simple, Hero System is a toolbox design, and as such any game system can be played. This includes playing Spies, Bloodthirsty barbarians or even Supervillains. Having a pre-defined morality code woven into the rules structure from the start would hamper some of the ability to play such off-kilter games (from the perspective of a superhero).

The morality of a game system, and the heroes within, are something the players and Gm should discuss before hand. This will ensure that the players know what the GM envisions, and that the Players don't go create Punisher and Wolverine clones when the Gm is hoping for a Silver Age Comic book feel.

The supplement, Champions, which defines various specific super-hero tropes usable in the game (as well as being a great resource all around) will have more information about the various ages, and other items of interest for what you may be looking for. I highly recommend it myself.

Welcome. We're glad you're here.

First of all, understand that the Hero System is a generic set of rules. That means it's meant to simulate any sort of fiction - any story, any movie, not just comic book superheroes.

There is a book called Champions that you may want to get eventually that adapts the Hero rules to superheroic adventures specifically.

I wouldn't be surprised it if had discussions of how to encourage appropriate behavior, or discourage less heroic play.

In the section of the Basic Rulebook you have called Complications, you will probably find a discussion of Pychological Complications. These can include virtues and codes of behavior such as a "Code Against Killing." You can encourage players to take such for their characters; if they play in accordance with their Complications, you can reward them with extra Experience; if they try to violate them, you can even force them to make dice rolls to act contrary to what is stated to be their character's nature.

Finally, you can stress that actions have consequences. If a character kills a criminal who had surrendered, for example, that character will be wanted for murder. No one else will surrender to them, and even villains who might not otherwise be murderous, might try to kill in preference to being killed. Police and superheoros will be trying to capture them. The press will demonize them, and the public will regard them with fear and loathing. If the player complains, simply point out that all this is a natural result of the character's own actions.

The BEST thing to do, however, is talk up front about what kind of game you want. Tell anyone who wants to play what you expect out of their characters. Give examples of what is acceptable and not acceptable, and be prepared to listen and maybe even compromise so everyone can have fun.

If everyone knows going in that "a hero would never, ever accept a bribe to look the other way" it's much less likely to come up.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Thanks for your answers guy ! It help me very much.

I am a french guy who live in Ile de France ( in the Paris south region ).

Yours post gave me an idea.

I have done my own rule based on points called ' Behavior Points ( BP ):

Behavior Unusual for a superhero / BP Cost

To refuse to help an innocent / 25 points

To let a criminal run away / 25 points

To accept money from criminal / 25 points per $1000 accepted

To help a criminal to reach his or her goal / 50 points

To hurt an innocent ( unintentionnal ) / 50 points per innocent

To kill a criminal ( intentionnal ) / 50 points until two criminals ( +10 over )

To fight against a super hero more popular / 50 points

To give up an hurted innocent / 50 points

To hurt an innocent ( intentionnal ) / 100 points

To help a criminal with super powers / 100 points

To refuse to help a super hero or a team / 100 points

To sacrifice an innocent / 150 points

To hurt deadly an other super hero / 150 points

The rule : At the beginning of the campaign , the Behavior Points = the Character Creation points.

When the BP downs to zero , the character is not considered like a super hero.

He keeps his Characteristics , Perks ( except Perks like super hero relatives )etc ... But he lost all powers.

To gain Behavior Points is quite simple.

The players must do the exact opposite actions of the Behavior Unusual.

They gain a half of the Behavior Points cost.

For instance :

Behavior Expected from a superhero / BP Gain

To accept to help an innocent / 12,5 points

To prevent a criminal run away / 12,5 points

To refuse money from criminal / 12,5 points per $1000 refused

To prevent a criminal to reach his or her goal / 25 points

To treat an injured (innocent) / 25 points per innocent

To treat an injured (criminal who gave up) / 12,5 points for one criminal

To treat a injured super hero / 25 points

To ungive up an injured during a stressing situation / 25 points per injured

To save an innocent life / 50 points

To neutralize a powered criminal without taking its life / 50 points

To accept to help a super hero or a team / 50 points

To save an innocent whereas its own life is in danger / 75 points

To save an other super hero from Death / 75 points

To neutralize a powered criminal without taking any life / 75 points

The player who win 150 points without loosing a point may choose an other power or upgrade by using Behavior Point like Character Creation Points.

200 points : the player may create an other super hero who will help the first one.

( It would be a novice super hero . So less powerfull ).

What do you think about my idea?

I find it weird that a superhero loses his powers if he behaves badly. What about the ones that become supervillains? They still have all their powers.

If your players don't respect such rules if they aren't implemented with a system of Behavior Points, maybe you should redefine the campaign with your players, to make it a little darker, or something like this.

By the way, happy to learn that there are other french people using Hero System! Welcome!

The BEST thing to do, however, is talk up front about what kind of game you want. Tell anyone who wants to play what you expect out of their characters. Give examples of what is acceptable and not acceptable, and be prepared to listen and maybe even compromise so everyone can have fun.

If everyone knows going in that "a hero would never, ever accept a bribe to look the other way" it's much less likely to come up.

This, to me, is the key. If the players want to play Superheroes, then they would want to play to the Super's code of morality. If the players don't want to play Superheroes, then any system designed to force them to play Superheroes will be viewed negatively, and the players will be looking for loopholes in the rule rather than playing to its spirit.

The corollary to this is that the GM needs to reward appropriate Superhero behaviour. If, for example, Our Hero refuses to kill the villain because of his moral code (the moral code you want to instill, based on your posts above), then this should come back to the hero in a positive way. Perhaps the occasional spared villain offers valuable information or other assistance out of respect for the hero's moral code, or the attitude of other NPC's previously negative or neutral is shifted to a more positive light out of respect for the Hero's morality.

Note that I mean "the Hero is rewarded because he follows his moral code", not "failure to follow the moral code results in the Hero being penalized". A penalty system tends to result in players looking for loopholes, not players playing to a moral code.

If, instead, the villain escapes, commits further atrocities, and the PC is considered by the press and the public to be complicit in these atrocities because he refused to kill the villain, then guess what? The players are motivated to avoid, rather than adhere to, the moral code.

Hi Justice,

Welcome to roleplaying, and welcome to Hero System in particular.

I think your reward system is duplicating something that's already in the rules. What you're looking for you'll find in the chapter on Complications (p78 in the Basic rulebook) - in particular, Psychological Complications (p81).

You could require all PCs take the complication Code of the True Hero (Very Common, Total), -25 points. In order to do something ignoble, a PC would have to roll against EGO (with a -5 penalty on the roll). However, I'd expect players to roleplay it rather than fight it. And if you make it a campaign requirement you could rule that it's not worth any points (which frees them up to choose other complications).

You might decide that's too restrictive, and lower the requirement to Code against Killing, Code of Chivalry, etc.

If players play in character, you give them more experience points (p83) than if they don't play in character.

The main thing is to have your players buy into the idea - they have to agree to play heroes. If they do, you can have a lot of fun exploring what it means to be a hero, putting them in situations which call their moral strength into play - for example, if a villain puts their girlfriend and an entire coachload of civilians in danger, who would they rescue? Would they follow the Spock Principle (the needs of the many outway the needs of the few), or would their own feelings be strong enough to overpower the logic? Or can they find a way to rescue everyone and avoid the moral conundrum?

What if a player doesn't want to play a True Hero? With good players, this can be great fun - one is the moral weak link in a team of heroes. He's willing to take moral shortcuts the others aren't. Does he hide this? Do his team-mates become suspicious? Can they convince him their way is better? Are they right? In this case, be aware that you are setting up the potential for conflict between the PCs; not all groups are comfortable with this, but in groups that are, it makes for great stories.

What if your players don't want to play True Heroes? Well, find out what they do want to play and create that kind of a campaign instead. Trying to force them to play a game style they don't want to will only end in frustration.

Pyschological and Social Complications are a great way for defining the kind of story you want to tell about the characters. Whereas things like Physical Complications, Vulnerabilities and so on tend to act as in-game hindrances, Psych and Social ones open up much bigger issues.

For example, if I have a character with Code of the True Hero and Fear of Heights, I would expect any GM to present me with a situation where he has to climb something to rescue people. Now he has two psychological limitations in direct competition with each other. Which will prove stronger? What will that do to him? If he conquers his fear and succeeds in the rescue, will his fear diminish? If his fear wins, what will that do to his sense of self-worth as a hero?

Behavior Unusual for a superhero / BP Cost

To refuse to help an innocent / 25 points

To let a criminal run away / 25 points

To accept money from criminal / 25 points per $1000 accepted

To help a criminal to reach his or her goal / 50 points

To hurt an innocent ( unintentionnal ) / 50 points per innocent

To kill a criminal ( intentionnal ) / 50 points until two criminals ( +10 over )

To fight against a super hero more popular / 50 points

To give up an hurted innocent / 50 points

To hurt an innocent ( intentionnal ) / 100 points

To help a criminal with super powers / 100 points

To refuse to help a super hero or a team / 100 points

To sacrifice an innocent / 150 points

To hurt deadly an other super hero / 150 points

The rule : At the beginning of the campaign , the Behavior Points = the Character Creation points.

When the BP downs to zero , the character is not considered like a super hero.

He keeps his Characteristics , Perks ( except Perks like super hero relatives )etc ... But he lost all powers.

To gain Behavior Points is quite simple.

The players must do the exact opposite actions of the Behavior Unusual.

They gain a half of the Behavior Points cost.

For instance :

Behavior Expected from a superhero / BP Gain

To accept to help an innocent / 12,5 points

To prevent a criminal run away / 12,5 points

To refuse money from criminal / 12,5 points per $1000 refused

To prevent a criminal to reach his or her goal / 25 points

To treat an injured (innocent) / 25 points per innocent

To treat an injured (criminal who gave up) / 12,5 points for one criminal

To treat a injured super hero / 25 points

To ungive up an injured during a stressing situation / 25 points per injured

To save an innocent life / 50 points

To neutralize a powered criminal without taking its life / 50 points

To accept to help a super hero or a team / 50 points

To save an innocent whereas its own life is in danger / 75 points

To save an other super hero from Death / 75 points

To neutralize a powered criminal without taking any life / 75 points

The player who win 150 points without loosing a point may choose an other power or upgrade by using Behavior Point like Character Creation Points.

200 points : the player may create an other super hero who will help the first one.

( It would be a novice super hero . So less powerfull ).

As I say above, I think this will risk loophole play. For example, I gain 75 points by neutralizing a powered criminal without taking a life. Is he “neutralized” if I help him reach his goal so he goes away and doesn’t cause any more trouble? That means I gain 75 points and lose 50, so I’m up 25. Perhaps the villain wants to be fabulously wealthy, so I’ll help him rob a bank. No loss of life. I didn’t accept any money.

Or I’ll hand over the industrialist the villain wants revenge against – I’m giving up someone who isn’t really “innocent” anyway, so I shouldn’t lose any points, Even if you dock me 50 for “giving up an innocent”, I still come out 25 points ahead when I get 75 for neutralizing the villain.

If a criminal wants to save his innocent daughter, how does that play out? Refusing to help an innocent costs me 25 points, but helping the criminal reach his goal (of saving his daughter) costs me 50.

Fighting a more popular Super Hero costs me 50 points, so if he’s preventing me from letting a criminal run away (perhaps he is mislead or mind controlled), I should let the criminal run – that only costs 25 points.

If, in battle, a Super is slightly wounded and a criminal is mortally wounded and surrenders, I score more points for treating the Super and letting the criminal die (assuming I wasn’t the one who caused the mortal injury in the first place).

One approach to enforcing appropriate behaviour is simply to require certain complications be taken by all characters in the game, whether for the usual point value or for no points, as a ground rule of the campaign. For example, all Super Heroes might have a required code of morality, either as a complication or as a 0 point basic rule. Playing in the spirit of that code is good role playing, possibly rewarded with an xp bonus. Playing against it requires ego rolls (it’s a psychological complication) and is generally poor role playing, justifying an xp penalty.

However, at the end of the day, I would expect neither you nor your players will derive a lot of enjoyment from the game if it’s primarily an argument about “appropriate” Super Hero behaviour. If you want to play “True Blue Four Colour Supers”, and your players want to play “Justice is Served, Villains – Meet Your Maker” vigilantes, you are coming in with different desired from the game, and you won’t all be happy. This comes back to Lucius’ point about discussing the kind of campaign the group wants as a whole.

I am okay with you. :)

To discuss with the players before the beginning is the best way. But the players are human being. So they can change their mind during the party.

As I say above, I think this will risk loophole play. For example, I gain 75 points by neutralizing a powered criminal without taking a life. Is he “neutralized” if I help him reach his goal so he goes away and doesn’t cause any more trouble?

No, he isn't. In my mind a free criminal is not neutralized. You won't win 75 BP.

That means I gain 75 points and lose 50, so I’m up 25. Perhaps the villain wants to be fabulously wealthy, so I’ll help him rob a bank. No loss of life. I didn’t accept any money.
So you help a criminal for free ? :)

I would give you -50 for that. No loss life but no saved life. So Zero bonus.

You don't accept any money... But nobody proposes you some pot-de-vin. So nothing happens.

Or I’ll hand over the industrialist the villain wants revenge against – I’m giving up someone who isn’t really “innocent” anyway, so I shouldn’t lose any points, Even if you dock me 50 for “giving up an innocent”, I still come out 25 points ahead when I get 75 for neutralizing the villain.
When you give up someone... How do you know the person is innocent , or not or a half ?

When the villain is arrested by the police - so neutralized - you will lost 50 again if don't take care the person you gave up earlier.

If a criminal wants to save his innocent daughter, how does that play out? Refusing to help an innocent costs me 25 points, but helping the criminal reach his goal (of saving his daughter) costs me 50.

I meant to refuse to help an innocent who ask you some help.

You will lost points only if the daughter ask you some help ( and if you refuse of course !!) .

a criminal goal !! ( Out of law or Out of moral )

Fighting a more popular Super Hero costs me 50 points, so if he’s preventing me from letting a criminal run away (perhaps he is mislead or mind controlled), I should let the criminal run – that only costs 25 points.
I don't understant what you mean.

Do you mean a minded controlled super hero preventing you to hunt a criminal ?

In this case you don't lose 25 points , because it is not intentionnal.

If, in battle, a Super is slightly wounded and a criminal is mortally wounded and surrenders, I score more points for treating the Super and letting the criminal die (assuming I wasn’t the one who caused the mortal injury in the first place).
You do what you want but I find it strange to treat someone during a battle.

Specially if the super hero is slightly wounded...

I don't understand why your super is going to treat a collegue instead of neutralizing the villain.

Purple Justice

You will see you have stumbled into the HERO Forums where we are all kind of number geeks. If you suggest things like this, you will get comment and challenge. If you want to use it and do not get upset by seeing things deconstructed then it is a very valuable place to check things. You will find Hugh an immense help in finding the inherent flaws in your number systems.

Personally, I like the concept that there is a benefit to being superheroic beyond having it fill out my complication totals. :)

I think though that rather than having a list that the players can game, you should do it by declaring heroic actions when you see them. If a character is acting appropriately heroically then they can recieve a HERO point, and these can be cashed in to affect chances to hit and damage caused or avoided. This means the righteous have an inherent advantage in a fight, but surely in a superheroic milieu that cannot be wrong, can it? :)

Doc

As I say above, I think this will risk loophole play. For example, I gain 75 points by neutralizing a powered criminal without taking a life. Is he “neutralized” if I help him reach his goal so he goes away and doesn’t cause any more trouble? That means I gain 75 points and lose 50, so I’m up 25. Perhaps the villain wants to be fabulously wealthy, so I’ll help him rob a bank. No loss of life. I didn’t accept any money.
Neutralized means - according to me - unfree or stunned or jailed inside an ice block or freezed in the time ( if the super hero has a time stop ability ).

I’m giving up someone who isn’t really “innocent” anyway, so I shouldn’t lose any points
How do you know the person is innocent ? Only the game master knows this information. Innocent means with no criminal intention for me.
Even if you dock me 50 for “giving up an innocent”, I still come out 25 points ahead when I get 75 for neutralizing the villain.
Only if the vilain possesses powers. And if you gave up an innocent near a powered villain , the innocent will be probably hurted if the super criminal is not too stupid.

So you probably lost 50 points for a injured person.

To let a vilain run away costs 25 points when the hero does not want to track him.

I don't think the slightly wounded Super hero accept your help.

What a strange idea to treat someone during a fight ! Specially for a slightly injury , specially for a super hero . If Batman woul be slightly wounded and the joker 'd be deadly wounded , can you imagine Superman come and treat his friend ? :confused:

However, at the end of the day, I would expect neither you nor your players will derive a lot of enjoyment from the game if it’s primarily an argument about “appropriate” Super Hero behaviour. If you want to play “True Blue Four Colour Supers”, and your players want to play “Justice is Served, Villains – Meet Your Maker” vigilantes, you are coming in with different desired from the game, and you won’t all be happy. This comes back to Lucius’ point about discussing the kind of campaign the group wants as a whole.

yes , I understand. To discuss with players before the campaign is primordial.Thanks.

The old Marvel Super Heroes rpg had a system similar to what you suggest. There, characters who wound up with negative "Fame" (or whatever it was called there, since I don't have my copy here), would be treated badly by the press or the public, rather than having a specific power change. There are still plenty of copies of that old chestnut floating around- if you can find one, give that section a read and see if it does what you're looking for. dw

What do I think? I think a couple of things.

One thing I think is that it makes no sense whatsoever for the superhero to lose powers due to moral failings. If superpowers were only possible for the morally upright, there wouldn't be any supervillains at all, would there?

I also think that if you REALLY want to do it that way anyway, you need to define a single source for superhero powers that has a moral component. Examples:

They're gifts from a God. If you don't behave as the God expects, He takes the powers back.

Villains would get their powers from some evil God or great demon, and similarly lose them if they don't act evil enough.

They're bestowed by a secretive circle of magicians lurking in Shangri La, viewing the world through their magic mirrors and giving powers to those they think will use them well. And taking them back if they're used ill. Again, there would have to be some evil organization opposing them who empowers villains.

They're granted by incredibly powerful and advanced aliens for their own inscrutable reasons. Perhaps the aliens are conducting some complex experiment, but they will take powers away from superheroes who don't behave heroicially. Perhaps they give powers to villains too as part of the same mysterious experiment.

Finally, I think you may run into a player like me.

I'd completely ignore your system, perhaps even deliberately playing a character who doesn't match your view of heroic, but mostly just acting as I think the character would act. Then eventually you say "Points at zero! You lose your powers!" and I say "Great. I carry on as before." And you notice that I built my character without any Powers at all, just Skills and Characteristics.

Lucius Alexander

A loophole big enough to ride a palindromedary through

I also think that if you REALLY want to do it that way anyway' date=' you need to define a single source for superhero powers that has a moral component. [/quote']

I don't agree. The only single source you need is the GM willing to reward players for playing in the manner he wants. It really doesn't need to be in-game explained - meta-game stuff works just as well to encourage genre compliance....

Doc

I think that what it comes down to is that Gaming has a bit of a Social Contract between the players and the GM. As the GM you have to get player buy in to the style of play for the genre you are playing in. ie If you want to play Silver/Bronze age Superheroes, you need to make sure that your players understand the genre conventions for that kind of play and like it enough that they will play along. If they want to play in a darker world than that you need to talk to them and see if you can come to a middle ground for a game that would be fun for both them and you to play in.

You don't need overarching systems to make players be heroic. The right players will play heroic characters if you make it appealing and fun for them to do so. If you don't have players who will play heroes, then you may need to find different players.

I don't agree. The only single source you need is the GM willing to reward players for playing in the manner he wants. It really doesn't need to be in-game explained - meta-game stuff works just as well to encourage genre compliance....

Doc

Hm. Well, a world where people gain superpowers and then see them evaporate mysteriously as suddenly as they came and for even less reason, would be a world in which no one with powers would be likely to count on them...

Lucius Alexander

On a palindromedary, counting

What do I think? I think a couple of things.

One thing I think is that it makes no sense whatsoever for the superhero to lose powers due to moral failings. If superpowers were only possible for the morally upright, there wouldn't be any supervillains at all, would there?

I also think that if you REALLY want to do it that way anyway, you need to define a single source for superhero powers that has a moral component. Examples:

They're gifts from a God. If you don't behave as the God expects, He takes the powers back.

Villains would get their powers from some evil God or great demon, and similarly lose them if they don't act evil enough.

They're bestowed by a secretive circle of magicians lurking in Shangri La, viewing the world through their magic mirrors and giving powers to those they think will use them well. And taking them back if they're used ill. Again, there would have to be some evil organization opposing them who empowers villains.

They're granted by incredibly powerful and advanced aliens for their own inscrutable reasons. Perhaps the aliens are conducting some complex experiment, but they will take powers away from superheroes who don't behave heroicially. Perhaps they give powers to villains too as part of the same mysterious experiment.

Finally, I think you may run into a player like me.

I'd completely ignore your system, perhaps even deliberately playing a character who doesn't match your view of heroic, but mostly just acting as I think the character would act. Then eventually you say "Points at zero! You lose your powers!" and I say "Great. I carry on as before." And you notice that I built my character without any Powers at all, just Skills and Characteristics.

Lucius Alexander

A loophole big enough to ride a palindromedary through

I wanted to mean the super hero lost his powers whereas his points = 0.

When he wins points , his powers are normal.

Why are you talking about moral ?:confused:

Hi purple justice and welcome,

One thing that is good to know about Hero System is that it is a very mature, well thought out and well balanced system. Although nobody is saying it directly, I think the important point to consider is whether you would be better served by using the Hero System set of rules as they are rather than adding another one that can have unbalancing effects. Hero System gives more control and flexibility to the GM than many other role playing games. You would probably do better role-playing the effects of the behavior you want and don't want than by creating a new set of rules that change how Hero works.

That's why people are giving examples of consequences that you as GM can impose through role playing without modifying the characteristics, skills and powers of the player characters.

Added: This is not to say that you should always use the Hero rules exactly as written. We have house rules in our game but these were brought into the game after playing it for a long time and being able to tell what we wanted to work a little differently than straight Hero. I would definitely suggest that you try to stay with Hero rules as written when you are just learning it and playing for the first time. After you have played the game for a while you will see how everything works and then you may still want to make some small change here and there to suit your playing style.

Hm. Well' date=' a world where people gain superpowers and then see them evaporate mysteriously as suddenly as they came and for even less reason, would be a world in which no one with powers would be likely to count on them...[/quote']

Yeah, I do not think I would advocate the stripping of powers, I like additionality though....

I wanted to mean the super hero lost his powers whereas his points = 0.

When he wins points , his powers are normal.

Which is why I point out that it's no deterrent to a character with no Powers.

Then I realized that Running is a Power, so a character with NO Powers would be immobilized. Seems harsh, but it's your game.

Why are you talking about moral ?:confused:

Because you started the thread with this post:

Hello every one ,

I am a new comer in the role playing game world and I just bought Hero System BR yesterday.

I find it fantastic , really interesting . The author made a wonderfull work with words quite accessible to the new comers like me.

I did'nt find any rule about the behaviour of the super heroes.

For instance , imagine a player who would let an hostage bleeding.

Or an other one who would kill a gangster who gave up the fight.

An other example is a super hero who would accept money from criminals.

How to punish the player or prevent him / her to do things like theses?

Is there any rule with points in the complete 6th Hero system ?

thanks for reading.

When you start a thread "talking about moral" and nothing but "moral", what do you expect?

Then again, maybe there's some confusion here about words.

How do you define "moral?"

How do you define "power?"

Lucius Alexander

Ignore this palindromedary tagline