Character with two "bodies"

Nicholiathan

I'm creating a character for a new campaign based on Svetlana Chmakova's Nightschool manga. The charcter is a Weirn, sort of a witch, who's familiar, an astral, is an extention of the character's self. The astral is a seperate entity that is always near the character and can go invisible, twist 1/2" steel railings into decrotive patterns, punch through brick walls and change into wings for the character to fly. The character I'm building will have a much less powerful astral than the source material with the slips through cracks form of desolidification, invisibility and aid intelligence of the main character only.

To represent this I'm considering building the astral as a seperate character and charging the main character for this 2nd character as duplication. Both the characters have a dependance with incompetency to each other.

Is there a better way to represent this dual character in 6E rules?

Re: Character with two "bodies"

It does not sound to me as if you want the two bodies to merge at any time. As such I might consider building two characters and splitting your character points between them. That means you get to spend the same amount of points as other players but split them between two characters. Or build it through Summon...

Just some options unless you need some of the advantages built into the duplication power, you could limit that by not allowing them to merge into one...

Doc

I like the "duplicates cannot recombine" approach. Two characters with the same combined CP seems like a good aproach until you cost out the redundancies (they both have characteristics, etc.). While Duplication can be a problematic ability, this in particular sounds like it won't fall into the common "now I get twice as many combat actions" problem.

I like the "duplicates cannot recombine" approach. Two characters with the same combined CP seems like a good aproach until you cost out the redundancies (they both have characteristics' date=' etc.). While Duplication can be a problematic ability, this in particular sounds like it won't fall into the common "now I get twice as many combat actions" problem.[/quote']

I wasn't worried about the redundancies as such. The system is set out in a way that means that two characters that have 90% of the combat caps are about a challenge for one that has 100%. Using your points on two characters to make them combat viable also makes them pretty two dimensional in combat as well. A good team - problems when they are apart.

I thknk it might eveen be more expensive that the duplication approach. Hmm. Might just have to test it out. :-)

Doc

Definitely more expensive than Duplication, I would think. For a 250p character, an equally powerful Duplicate is only 50p. A bit more with Altered Duplicates, but then the Duplicate doesn't have to pay for Duplication.

Considering the nature of these characters building the astral as a follower of the weirn makes the most sense. Both the character and astral have a dependence upon each other forcing them to stay close to each other. Since this is an NPC in the game having the GM play the follower is a non issue.

Thanks for all the advice.

Is the astral truly a separate character to the extent that it honestly has a "will" of its own separate from the other character? If not, then it might be better to go with various things like Indirect TK and just say the Special effects are of there being an astral form.

La Rose.

Considering the nature of these characters building the astral as a follower of the weirn makes the most sense. Both the character and astral have a dependence upon each other forcing them to stay close to each other. Since this is an NPC in the game having the GM play the follower is a non issue.

I would only go with a follower if the astral form has a separate will, motivations and personality from the main character. If it is simply an extension of the character, it's not really a follower.

I would only go with a follower if the astral form has a separate will' date=' motivations and personality from the main character. If it is simply an extension of the character, it's not really a follower.[/quote']If it is a follower, its motivations and personaility may be similar, just have a separate will.

The Astral is a seperate entity with a seperate will of it's own and has differing personalities. The Weirn, Wendy McAdams, a shy book worm who prefers not to be noticed. The Astral is curious and artistic with a tendacy of calling attention to itself. For her introduction this character will be sitting at the back of the class confortably forgotten while the teacher fills out lessons on the black board turning to the class to explain she exclaims "Wendy McAdams you will control your astral in my class!" The class turns to see that her Astral has been drawing art work on the back wall with a permenate marker. When left to it's own the Astral will do things like search other students bags for cookies, deface puplic property and search where it's not ment to look.