I hope we have cooler looking cars than this in the future.

amanojaku

Re: I hope we have cooler looking cars than this in the future.

BTW, a cap company in england has announced plans for a new, ultra efficient car for a single person who doesn't need to carry a lot of luggage. They will come in white, red, orange, yellow and blue colors. A picture of a prototype is here.

BTW. some of the early test models of the new monocar prototype were accidentally shipped to a BBC set and caused some confusion, hopefully that will be cleared up soon.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/07/5787276-ces-automated-two-wheeler-aims-to-be-the-car-of-the-future

So, the segue didn't mwork, so they're trying to fix it by supersizing it.

Probably in 30 years we are going to wish cars were that cool. Cars today are not as cool as ones from the 1960s much less car of future concepts cars of the that period. There has been a relentless march towards automotive banality over the last 40 years its end seems to be nowhere in sight.

Probably in 30 years we are going to wish cars were that cool. Cars today are not as cool as ones from the 1960s much less car of future concepts cars of the that period. There has been a relentless march towards automotive banality over the last 40 years its end seems to be nowhere in sight.

Of course, back in those days, hardly anybody cared about fuel economy or aerodynamics.

Now not all cars from the 60's are cool looking. In fact most of them are downright ugly. They weren't all Mustangs, Firebirds, Cameros and Baracudas. (and GTO's).

BMW found a good shape for it's cars in the 80's and now just about everyone emulates that look. I think it comes down to it's a good shape that doesn't add that many minuses to the car. ie It's fairly aerodynamic, it looks pretty good, and it doesn't take away from interior space. I think that is why most cars look alike. Of course, there are the cars that go for maximum interior space at the expense of a car shape that is extremely boxy.

Now not all cars from the 60's are cool looking. In fact most of them are downright ugly. They weren't all Mustangs' date=' Firebirds, Cameros and Baracudas. (and GTO's).[/quote']

Yeah, some where Pintos and Pacers.

The true era of pretty American Cars is the 30's and 40's. Though I don't think that many cars were made during the WWII years. The cars were kind of big, but they had some of the nicest lines and curves ever go grace cars. Also, it was the era of early V8 engines.

European cars were pretty from way back. I don't have a good feel for euro cars and time periods that the made pretty cars. Though the earliest euro cars were made for the affluent, and were nearly custom cars.

Now not all cars from the 60's are cool looking. In fact most of them are downright ugly. They weren't all Mustangs, Firebirds, Cameros and Baracudas. (and GTO's).

BMW found a good shape for it's cars in the 80's and now just about everyone emulates that look. I think it comes down to it's a good shape that doesn't add that many minuses to the car. ie It's fairly aerodynamic, it looks pretty good, and it doesn't take away from interior space. I think that is why most cars look alike. Of course, there are the cars that go for maximum interior space at the expense of a car shape that is extremely boxy.

It is this very herd mentality that makes modern cars so boring. It is not that the design themselves are horrible as that they cookie cutter from one automobile company to another. Rather than try to distinguish themselves all the car companies seem content to imitate.

Yeah' date=' some where Pintos and Pacers.[/quote']

Pintos were introduced in 1971 and Pacers in '75 so neither of them are from the sixties.

The true era of pretty American Cars is the 30's and 40's. Though I don't think that many cars were made during the WWII years. The cars were kind of big, but they had some of the nicest lines and curves ever go grace cars. Also, it was the era of early V8 engines.

European cars were pretty from way back. I don't have a good feel for euro cars and time periods that the made pretty cars. Though the earliest euro cars were made for the affluent, and were nearly custom cars.

No argument that cars from the 30s and 40s were beautiful.

It is this very herd mentality that makes modern cars so boring. It is not that the design themselves are horrible as that they cookie cutter from one automobile company to another. Rather than try to distinguish themselves all the car companies seem content to imitate.

No argument that cars from the 30s and 40s were beautiful.

You mean like this one? I couldn't agree more.

currentprojtop.jpg

I personally find it to be one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen.

It also belongs on the Pulp board. It's totally something that a rich pulp hero would drive in the city. Very pretty' date=' and also very expensive :D[/quote']

Paint it black and get rid of those *&^%$#@ white-wall tires*, and you could put it on the Dark Champions board. A car for all genres!

*Also, figure out where the twin .50s go.

Between engineering reality and safety regulations, I think there is a lot of pressure towards homogeneity. IIRC the two biggest factors driving sameness in cars are aerodynamics and crash safety. The former dictates that any car is going to be fairly rounded, while the latter pretty much imposes a two- or three-box design. I know for a fact that bumper regulations in particular really annoy industrial designers.

So what car is that? She really is a beauty. I agree that it would work for DC as well' date=' but for any other genre, I rather like the whitewalls - harkens back to a different time.[/quote']

It's a Delahaye type 135. The only thing it's a bear to change tires on a car with enclosed whell-wells.

Between engineering reality and safety regulations' date=' I think there is a lot of pressure towards homogeneity. IIRC the two biggest factors driving sameness in cars are aerodynamics and crash safety. The former dictates that any car is going to be fairly rounded, while the latter pretty much imposes a two- or three-box design. I know for a fact that bumper regulations in particular really annoy industrial designers.[/quote']

Not sure about that. Sure those factors are going to restrict what you can design somewhat but their is still a lot of room for creativity. BMW with the Mini Cooper has just by adding a few extra curves and some retro features made a vehicle that really stands out. Both the Mitsubishi Spyder and Eclipse standout and they aren't even all that expensive. They just used the standard materials and design features and went for a slightly different look.

Creativity can thrive under tight constraints. Look at the haiku; 17 syllables, limitless possibilities. Also wouldn't make a bad name for a subcompact customized by the owner at time of order.

Not sure about that. Sure those factors are going to restrict what you can design somewhat but their is still a lot of room for creativity. BMW with the Mini Cooper has just by adding a few extra curves and some retro features made a vehicle that really stands out. Both the Mitsubishi Spyder and Eclipse standout and they aren't even all that expensive. They just used the standard materials and design features and went for a slightly different look.

Creativity can thrive under tight constraints. Look at the haiku; 17 syllables, limitless possibilities. Also wouldn't make a bad name for a subcompact customized by the owner at time of order.

The Nissan Haiku!

You can drive one home today!

You know you want to....

I agree with you, though I take issue with the example you picked. One thing that annoys me is the tendency of car designers to look backward. The new Mini, new Beetle, new Mustang, and others are new cars designed in such a way as to look old. I see these cars and think, really? They couldn't come up with something original? I understand that these are powerful brands and that this is the way to leverage a powerful brand, and obviously it works. It just doesn't float my boat. I'm more interested in the some of the more radical concepts that come out of the tradeshows, lookswise.